Singapore Expats Forum

Wish to find Turkish friends in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Elizabella

Wish to find Turkish friends in Singapore

Postby Elizabella » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 9:52 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to pick up Turkish language ever since my last visit to Turkey in March 2008. It is not easy as I do not have any one here to guide me in the language. The commerical language schools I went to often do not have enough students to start a class. I did try learning online but I am not sure if I make any mistakes as language is something you really need to practise with.

Is there any Turks in Singapore that I can befriend with, to share with me the wonderful culture & traditions about Turkey? It was really interesting to learn how to make 'cay' using 2 pots while I was staying in Altinoluk summer house. I plan to visit Turkey again, I have booked another holiday in this winter in Ayvalik from online.

Maybe I can get to find out & learn more about how to buy a house there in the future. But I will need to learn the main language if I am planning to retire there one day. I wish to seek your friendship to learn about your culture habits and norm as well.

Really appreciate if you can add me as a friend and share with me about the life in Turkey.

Teşekkürler! :)

sdkks

Postby sdkks » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 5:33 am

There's Turkish Cultural Centre in Singapore, I visited at my last and 4th visit. Seems like a nice place, warm people. (Well, Turkish people are warm for special guests, especially foreigners, i felt warm, so imagine how warm they are.) They have Turkish lessons too. A new course will start in january. I've been told they only charge a little, to keep things going and most of activities they do are based on voluntary work or sponsorships...

Turkey has a lot of places for holidays and enjoying, if you've been here every year, before retirement you wouldn't have been to a quarter of possible places or have tasted 10 percent of the available food types. I'm not exeggerating, there are just too many variations and we took a lot from other cultures too, our lands were melting pot for many cultures.

Well, most of them you can't find on tour packages to buy, so you have to find and go yourself, those tours are just so occupied, so busy, you won't have too much private time to wander around and experience, they will keep dragging you around and since Turkey is large, it will mean too long hours of bus travel. We have airports in almost every city, yes, but that will be expensive in case you travel a lot.

It's a good idea to retire and settle here if you can afford. I suggest buying property from south or southwest and enjoy.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 5:53 am

sdkks wrote:
It's a good idea to retire and settle here if you can afford. I suggest buying property from south or southwest and enjoy.

Not least because in the east of the country, they'll all come out and throw rocks at strangers.