Singapore Expats Forum

So how was yr earthquake experience yesterday?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

hg
Regular
Regular

So how was yr earthquake experience yesterday?

Postby hg » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 7:21 am

..I was on my 23rd story flat and for 2 minutes I was convinced that the juice I am having is spiked :-) My wife in the other room lied down on the bed thinking she is not well....until our more worldly wise PH maid came out of her room - all shrieking and crying - and then all hell broke loose !!!

Running down 23 stories via staircase with a wife, 8 year daughter and a hysterical maid was not funny at all

Now I can laugh it off but it was scary as hell .....

Anyone else can top that ? :-)

x9200

Re: So how was yr earthquake experience yesterday?

Postby x9200 » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 9:01 am

hg wrote:..I was on my 23rd story flat and for 2 minutes I was convinced that the juice I am having is spiked :-) My wife in the other room lied down on the bed thinking she is not well....until our more worldly wise PH maid came out of her room - all shrieking and crying - and then all hell broke loose !!!

Running down 23 stories via staircase with a wife, 8 year daughter and a hysterical maid was not funny at all

Now I can laugh it off but it was scary as hell .....

Anyone else can top that ? :-)

Even didn't notice it this time but I was on low floor buildings the hole day.
A few years back when it hit somewhere in Indonesia with 6.5 force and I was at that time in our apartment on the 7th floor only I clearly felt the whole building gently rocking. What scared a living hell out of me was our 250l marine fish tank with water inside moving like tsunami. If this broke apart and got over the floor....

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 9:42 am

I was in the factory unit 3rd floor, when i felt kind of strange, I knew then it was an earthquake, i watched the office door swing for a good 2 minutes, but wasn't really worried.

I have been in several earthquakes, the worst was in Greece for me, when the ceiling and walls started to collapse, i managed to get into a court yard. Then 3 quakes i was in Taipei which was stronger than the Athens quake, however the new buildings are able to take quite a lot on the richter scale. Though watching at ground level, was like watching cars on a roller coaster, really damn scary, and the roads actually splitting in front of your eyes.

I feel devastated knowing that many families are suffering great trauma and will never recover from it, living in fear until the next big one! Just happy that I wasn't at the top of the 101 building in Taipei! I saw people get killed, when it was under construction, when a crane fell off the floor, throwing the guy out as it was falling.

I can do without earthquakes in my life! Though one does learn not to panic until you know it's over the 6.5 mark, you get a feel for it, after you have experienced them over 7 then it's time to run in Taiwan, just in case it hits the largest quake. A 6 in Greece may destroy a few buildings completely like in Indonesia too

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:30 am

I didn't even notice

Just thought I was more tired than I had previously been aware of... but then I was by the pool in a rubber chair

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 12:28 pm

One the first floor of our shoplot office in Jurong, didn't know anything about it in Singapore until i read "Panic across Singapore" on the front page of TODAY this morning and i went...... WTF.

hg
Regular
Regular

Postby hg » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 2:43 pm

As amazing as it may sound, I was at home today (expecting some friend) when again around 10 am me and my wife both felt some tremors again and repeated the same evacuation exercise....this time my daughter was thankfully at school. Must have been real small one as we were the only ones running out....

Man, our nerves are still too frayed, I guess !!

PS: Googled after posting....turns out we were not hallucinating after all

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 72/1/.html

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 6:39 pm

i was in bed, so i asked my wife did the earth move for her. she smile and said yes. :P :D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 6:45 pm

durain wrote:i was in bed, so i asked my wife did the earth move for her. she smile and said yes. :P :D
Another happy wife, mine thought i had my phone on vibrate, she smiled too, I said no luv the earth is moving a little faster than normal :lol:

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 1:07 am

I think the earthquake the other day was stronger. I was alone in the office and the first tremor i thought i was dizzy but it happened again! so i turned off all the lights and went out and locked the door and went home..but yesterday I was the first one to tell my officemates the building is shaking!. so we all went out.

hg
Regular
Regular

Postby hg » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 9:29 am

By now we are so nervous that even the slightest rumble feels like a quake - like last night, when my wife felt something, I didn't and after many minutes of quiet listening, we decided to go down anyway - this time in lift though.....felt rather silly afterwords of course

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 11:54 am

I felt a rumble this morning but it turned out it was just my stomach! :-|

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:12 pm

I was on a bus so even if it was right under the bus I wouldn't have noticed anything different from the normal ride!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 2:52 pm

I read in the news that it was felt as far as Boon Lay. I'm in Ayer Rajah and almost everyone I asked said they didn't feel anything. Is the place sitting on some geologic shock absorber? :???:

@OP
hg wrote: My wife in the other room lied down on the bed thinking she is not well....until our more worldly wise PH maid came out of her room

God bless the Inday's* of the world....

*Filipino homely name that has become a typecast/term of endearment for 'maid.' Disclosure: I'm Filipino :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 3:11 pm

nakatago wrote:Disclosure: I'm Filipino :wink:

That's okay. We won't hold that against you. :P

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 3:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nakatago wrote:Disclosure: I'm Filipino :wink:

That's okay. We won't hold that against you. :P

just avoiding backlash... :P