Singapore Expats Forum

Where do the mosquitoes live

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

NoMosquitoesPlease

Where do the mosquitoes live

Postby NoMosquitoesPlease » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:21 am

Hi,

I would like to know locations in Singapore where people have problems with mosquitoes.

My interest goes especially towards locations where Chikungunya hits people.

Thanks!

No Mosquitoes Please

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:23 am

Are you referring to Expat or Local mosquitoes? :cool:

NoMosquitoesPlease

Where are the six-legged mosquitoes

Postby NoMosquitoesPlease » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:50 am

Hi,

Saint wrote:Are you referring to Expat or Local mosquitoes? :cool:

I do not care where they are from as long as they have six legs and two wings.

Erich

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:00 pm

People have problems where there is still water in quantities of more than a cap full of water. It's a people problem, not a mosquito problem. If people were more careful there wouldn't be any mosquitoes. The problems are found all over the island. You can go to the NEA website for more information. The link can be found on my links page.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 3:54 pm

Where there is Dengue, so is there also the Aedes Mosquito; and presumably a chance of Chikungunya.

http://www.dengue.gov.sg/

Scroll down for a map of recent outbreak clusters.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 6:48 pm

The mosquito packs are selling well are they?

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:People have problems where there is still water in quantities of more than a cap full of water. It's a people problem, not a mosquito problem. If people were more careful there wouldn't be any mosquitoes. The problems are found all over the island.

...but all things considered, there are amazingly few mosquitoes in Singapore. I was on the 2nd floor of my previous apt with a park across the street, I used to sleep with the window open, and I think I was bitten once in a year and a half. I wouldn't like to try that in most other SE Asian countries...

Anyway, if you're keen on avoiding mozzies, living on a high floor of a managed condo (regularly sprayed) usually helps: there are very few above the 10th floor and virtually none above 20. (Unless you happen to have asshat neighbors who leave standing water around, of course.)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:56 pm

Virtually every Sunday morning I have around 40 to 50 of my staff assisting NEA on their inspections around the islands. You would be surprised at the number of breeding locations around HDB flats above the 10 floor! They migrate upwards around 2 floors at a time (a 20' elevation each time. The fine now for a second offense (finding live larva in standing water) is $1000. They only need a lip of an overturned bucket to breed. Or a saucer under a potted plant.

Keeps me in business during the recession or good times. We are almost recession proof thanks to the "cleanliness" of the population. Witness the rat scourge at Gelang Serai several months back. Keep us really busy (and made us lots of money as well!). :P