Singapore Expats Forum

Help for Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana) victims

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Help for Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana) victims

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:54 pm

Hi fellow members.

I am uncertain if this is allowed in the forum but I would like to reach as many as possible.So sorry if this is against the rules but please let me post this for a while.

As what is on the news, the Philippines is now in dire need of help from everyone. Typhoon Ketsana (Ondoy) has displaced and left millions of Filipinos homeless. As of the moment while trying to recover from the typhoon, the county is now bracing for two more typhoons in the next few days.

We will appreciate anyone's help and donations.

Filipino Association in Singapore (FAS) is accepting donations in kind for the victims of Typhoon Ondoy. Donations may be dropped off at:

A-Freight Cargo
304 Orchard Road
#03-19 Lucky Plaza
Singapore 238863

i-Remit Singapore announced that it will waive remittance charges for donations to the Philippine National Red Cross. Remittances to the Philippine National Red Cross may be sent through:

i-Remit Singapore
304 Orchard Road
#03-69 Lucky Plaza
Singapore 238863

LBC announced that it will waive remittance charges for donations made to the following organizations: ABS-CBN Foundation, GMA Foundation, Philippine National Red Cross, and the National Disaster Coordinating Center. Remittances to these organizations may be sent through:

LBC Singapore
304 Orchard Road
#04-77 Lucky Plaza
Singapore 238863

The Filipino Mountaineering Club (Bundukeros Adventure CLub) is also organizing a Rapel for a cause for the typhoon victims

Rapelling will be on Oct 3. -10 am to 6pm. Please get the details from:
Bernadette - 91792763
Rhea - 90489393
Leika – 83614822

If you have any donations in kind, i can also pick them up if you can not go to Lucky plaza. You can just notify me through pm.

as of now there is urgent need for food, beddings, mats, water, and medicines

As from the Embassy advisory, we can not send used clothes as of now. but i will update you on this if it changes.

Most importantly, we also need your prayers because we are overwhelmed and many of the families affected are families of Overseas workers. It is very sad.

Thank you very much for your help.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:07 am

morenangpinay PM'd me earlier asking permission for this and under the circumstances I figured it would be okay even though it's not a gazetted charity. Sometimes time and happenstance don't coincide with regulations therefore I'm okay with this.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:25 am

This one posted by patsy_sg (without prior permission) but I will include it here as all these should go in the same thread.

Post subject: Relief for Manila flood victims

patsy_sg wrote:I experienced first hand the devastation of the floods in Manila as I was stuck there for a business trip during the weekend. The sight of cars rushing down the street like they were toys and mothers carrying their babies above their heads while wading through the floods will forever be in my mind. More than 200 people have died and thousands have lost their homes.

If you guys have anything you can donate, please drop it off at Afreight Cargo, #03-09 Lucky Plaza, Orchard Road. Contact Person: Maureen Schepers 6235-1011/91117855.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page= ... 821&ref=mf

Thanks!![

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 7:42 am

thank you mod. as of now, there are areas and evacuation centres where there are no food and relief goods coming in since 26th. children are getting sick with fever and flu. this is the situation right now in the Philippines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3k_YcTN40[/code]

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Postby patsy_sg » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 9:54 am

sorry about that SMS.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 9:32 pm

Thank you to everyone and those who would like to donate Singapore has already mobilized their organizations

Mercy Relief will be collecting cash and cheque donations from 29 September to 18 October

Donations to the Mercy Relief effort can also be made via phone from 1st October, by calling 1900—112—1010 (for a $10 donation) or 1900—112—1050 (for a $50 donation)

Singapore Red Cross (SRC) has launched a public appeal to raise money for the storm victims from 29 September to 30 October.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 4:38 pm

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Thu, 01 Oct 2009 8:41 pm

depending on how it's read i might get some flak for my observation, but i'll air it anyway.

the Philippines people/groups (however you spell it) around the world are really fast and good at raising awareness for their cause whenever any disaster strikes.

this time i see american samoa in chaos, along with samoa, tonga, vietnam, cambodia and indonesia, but i still see more calls for donations to PH than anywhere else.

was the same a few years back, too... what's more, there (still) are other countries which are in worse shape.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:46 am

Im not sure why Taxico but we are thankful for whatever is donated to the Philippines and we also feel the despair for Indonesia, Samoa, Vietnam and the recent disasters. We do request for help but we will not stop anyone from donating to the other countries.

Maybe it is just that alot of us Filipinos are on the internet, on facebook, on twitter, multiply, and social websites.
Since most of Filipinos are overseas workers, during this calamity we didnt have any means to communicate with our families back home so we used the internet to commune with other Filipinos and express what we are feeling. Alot of us went to the internet to know if our families were affected...I for one did not get any news from home until sunday night. We were also overwhelmed by the situation...

im not sure if that is the right answer but its one i can think of.

but in the end, we are all the same victims of calamities..and it is a sad situation.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 1:00 am

I would like to share one of the heart breaking and most terrifying scene on this typhoon captured on the news.

The people on the make shift raft is a family.according to the news they went on top of their roof to get away from the flood only to be swept away by water. The only one who survived in this family is the father...he appeared later on one news channel asking for whereabouts of his daughters and wife. the daughter was supposed to be having her birthday. but sadly only the father survived

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nQwnCq3JGc

please pray for all victims of calamities. as of this time, Philippines is bracing for Typhoon Pepeng which might be Signal no.4.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 8:42 am

while i don't have all the specific details of how these natural disasters come about...

i do know many of these typhoons are a regular occurrence in many parts of the world...

and i do understand that certain early warnings/alarms can be given to the people if a system has been built/put in place.

while not a complete success (right now), indonesia has been building one since the last tsunami...

perhaps the internet savvy citizens from Philippines should lobby for their government to implement a similar system.

imo a new water bucket must be built to replace the rusty holey one. plugging holes is not the way forward.

and... heartfelt videos exist from all over the world (eg, taiwan's Typhoon Morakot from 2 months ago).

p/s: no offense meant.

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Postby batgirl_cdn » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:54 am

I just called A-Freight Cargo at Lucky Plaza and they said that they have enough clothing donations so are not accepting clothes, but they need more food and medicine donations.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 11:50 am

taxico wrote:while i don't have all the specific details of how these natural disasters come about...

i do know many of these typhoons are a regular occurrence in many parts of the world...

and i do understand that certain early warnings/alarms can be given to the people if a system has been built/put in place.

while not a complete success (right now), indonesia has been building one since the last tsunami...

perhaps the internet savvy citizens from Philippines should lobby for their government to implement a similar system.

imo a new water bucket must be built to replace the rusty holey one. plugging holes is not the way forward.

and... heartfelt videos exist from all over the world (eg, taiwan's Typhoon Morakot from 2 months ago).

p/s: no offense meant.

hi taxico
I believe the government did warn the people theres a typhoon but you have to understand, the rain wasnt as strong as other typhoons previously encountered. The reason why it became devastating is because it was continously raining from friday to sunday. The amount of rainfall equaled more than one month of rain. The people didnt realize the danger until it was too late and the water rose too fast. even the rich villagers were stranded on their roofs. were just glad it happened in daylight.

but i understand what you are saying and i respect your opinion in this matter. I hope tho I am not offending anyone for requesting for help for the typhoon victims. some of the victims themselves are also helping other typhoon victims by volunteering in rescues so the people arent completely helpless but the situation is just overwhelming that there are people who havent eaten and hungry

well anyway i apologize if anyone is offended by my request.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:10 pm

There is no reason to apologize at all. Hopefully there will always be people who care enough to make an attempt. Naysayers abound and are a part of the landscape. I'm thankful there are are people who DO come to the rescue over and over again. The world would be a sad place if nobody responded or for that matter, bothered to ask for help for fear of rejection by others. Mother nature is a b*tch and we all have to help each other, be it either with the donation of money, material, time or prayers, whatever we are able to give.

sms

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 02 Oct 2009 1:08 pm

having donated a few times, it does get a little trying when it appears (to me) the PH govt haven't done enough...

like what sunday said, i don't think you need be apologetic, and i wasn't trying to put an offensive spin on the disasters.

taking someone else's (surely?) quote, 'there has to be a better way' for planning/handling such regular situations.