Singapore Expats Forum

can believe in this kind of transaction?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

can believe in this kind of transaction?

Postby guest » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 1:42 pm

i do receive several emails from different countries. they were saying that their client were interested to buy my stuff and will send either cheque or go thru western union to make payment. for cheque, they will send extra and asked me to bank in the remaining balance to them after i receive their cheque. i was wondering whether i can go on with this kind of business transaction. i'm just a housewife and will be moving house soon. therefore, i want to sell off some of my stuff. can anyone tell me whether i can belive in this?

not sure....

Postby not sure.... » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 2:34 pm

I'm not sure I totally understand what you are saying, but I think you should tell them they should only write the cheque for the exact amount the stuff costs as you will not be returning any 'extra' money to them. If you have to ship something to them, then you should figure out the shipping charges and add that into the total.

Cam

Postby Cam » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 5:39 pm

Just make sure you have the money you requested as payment in your bank (or pocket) before you send anything away.

Kelly

Re: can believe in this kind of transaction?

Postby Kelly » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:41 am

guest wrote:i do receive several emails from different countries. they were saying that their client were interested to buy my stuff and will send either cheque or go thru western union to make payment. for cheque, they will send extra and asked me to bank in the remaining balance to them after i receive their cheque. i was wondering whether i can go on with this kind of business transaction. i'm just a housewife and will be moving house soon. therefore, i want to sell off some of my stuff. can anyone tell me whether i can belive in this?

You are selling sutff? meaning you are selling your household stuff, like a garage sale? or are u selling stuff related to a business u have. either way, as the other 'postee/poster' said, dont give anything till u receive the money

Postby GUest » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 1:51 pm

Is this from NIGERIA? DON'T DO IT...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 7:34 pm

guest wrote:i do receive several emails from different countries. they were saying that their client were interested to buy my stuff and will send either cheque or go thru western union to make payment. for cheque, they will send extra and asked me to bank in the remaining balance to them after i receive their cheque. i was wondering whether i can go on with this kind of business transaction. i'm just a housewife and will be moving house soon. therefore, i want to sell off some of my stuff. can anyone tell me whether i can belive in this?

This is a complete rip off. What they do is send you a check for more than the purchase price with some lame excuse about why they don't have a check for the exact amount. They ask you to give them the difference when the sale is completed.

The trouble is that even though the check looks legitimate, such as a cashiers check, is bogus. They are counting on the fact that it will take days or even a couple of weeks for the check to bounce. By that time, they are long gone with the money.

Take cash only. Take a check only if you can immediately verify its validity or you know the buyer well.

Think about it. Why would someone trust you to return "extra" money even though you are no doubt an honest person.

Postby guest » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:46 pm

Thanks for all your kindness. I do think about the reasons and some of my frens told me not to believe in this. Therefore, after I told them that my cousin is a police, then there is no more replies from them. However, thank you very much for giving me so many advice.