Singapore Expats

Bad experience buying furniture in JB

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
MinSG

Bad experience buying furniture in JB

Post by MinSG » Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:32 am

Juz wanna share my bad experience buying furniture from a shop in JB and make u guys be cautious of Nova Furniture in JB and this Nova in JB has no relationship with the Nova in SG. In Aug, I bought 2 items(dressing table and bookshelf) that cost over RM1100. There were many issues with this shop.

Delivery: The shop said that they had weekly delivery to SG so we cud not specify delivery date and time unless we paid extra. Then we requested delivery on the week of 9/22 - 9/25. Last week(9/19) we called them to remind and confirm the delivery and they said that the delivery changed to week of 9/28 - 9/30 without giving a reason. We told them that we already arranged house warming on that week and informed friends and relatives. Then they checked and confirmed delivery on 9/24 was ok.

Product quality and service: This shop is selling "biscuit" furniture. When I called up the the owner(called Mr. Lau), he said "since the items are so cheap, you expect to get this kind of quality loh". To him, over RM1100 for 2 items is considered cheap. Some more when their mover sent the dressing table into my room, the furniture scratched my wooden floor as the bottom of the furniture cracked. Then I dared not to let the bookshelf come into my house as the bookshelf was having much more cracks. Then the mover just left it at the corridor outside my condo and just left even without my signature certifying goods received. The owner even said "Once the goods left their warehouse, it's considered delivered. You can sue me loh if u want. I have nothing to say." He never even said "Sorry".

The most stupid mistake I made was to make full payment as I did not want to go to JB again just to pay for the balance. Since they got the full payment, they just sent me crappy things. Anyway, this only happened to Nova JB. I also bought a sofa set from Homelife JB and made full payment to them. They delivered good product and also great services.

In summary, my advice to u is, never expect good pricing and good quality products from Nova JB unless u wanna buy "biscuit" furniture. They are JB-only shop and not even country-wide so there is no escalation path and the owner called Mr. Lau also behaved like that. If u really insist to buy from them, all I can say is "good luck".

Pictures for reference:
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1132/dsc03429h.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3783/dsc03433f.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7531/dsc03441t.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9425/dsc03434y.jpg

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:27 am

So... you don't really know if the furniture was damaged by the delivery people or the stuff was already damaged in the warehouse, do you?

MinSG

Post by MinSG » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:33 am

Yes, I don't know. The owner kept saying that the furniture was in good condition when coming out from the warehouse. How do I know?

However, the exterior defects could be damaged by the delivery people but the interior defects(like scratches, cracked internal clapboards, etc) must have already been damaged in the warehouse as the furniture was wrapped and the delivery people should not be able to damage the inside.

Nevertheless, the delivery people were paid by the shop, not me so I should have no obligation to claim from the delivery people but the shop but the owner never cares.

I can do nothing since I made a stupid mistake by making full payment to the shop but rather share this experience to help others prevent this from happening again. Thanks for reading.

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 4:43 pm

Min SG, thanks for the warning because we were considering checking out some furniture stores in JB. You mentioned Homelife, are there any other you could recommend, thanks again for sharing.

MinSG

Post by MinSG » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 6:13 pm

Hi xtasy, I visited a few furniture shops(e.g. Lorenzo, Red Apple, many more which I cud not remember the names) at Taman Molek but only bought items from Homelife and Nova. If u r interested in items from other shops(hopefully not Nova) than Homelife, my suggestion to u is to pay minimum deposit in JB and pay the balance in cash on delivery.

FYI. There are 2 Homelife shops in JB - one in Jusco/Aeon shopping mall at Bukit Indah and the other at Plentong(next to Giant Hypermart).

Jacob1965

Re: Bad experience buying furniture in JB

Post by Jacob1965 » Sat, 21 Dec 2019 2:36 pm

I have the same bad experience in JB, Syarikat perniagaan Perabot Hao Hua, No 61-A jalan Bentaral 1,Taman Ungku Tun Aminah .

Dishonest shop and integrity.

We wen to this shop as they have a banner say buy 1 get 1 free mattress delivered to Singapore, went we walk in, the sale guy show us a $199 mattress only that is buy 1 n get 1 free n the mattress was of lousy quality. We went to view the display set of a dinning table we like and ask for measurement. We measure it n decide to get the dinning table n top $200 to change the cushion chair to wooden chair, total cost $2100. The sale guy wrote an invoice, the table was measure 3 x 7. we didn't notice he wrote 3 X 5 n we paid deposit $400.

Nightmare night mare,

we arrange delivery to be 4 days later. When delivered men came, we paid the remain amount, after that looking at the table, it look so small. we realize is a shorter table in length. Next day we went back for clarification, the staff who serve us was off, the brother serve us, keep arguing that the table is 3x5, cos is written on the invoice, the worse thing, that display table that we measure were gone. We even show the photo we took of the display table n the table delivered to us, he say photo is not accurate. The display table was gone, we dont have evidence to prove anymore, he say if you want full refund we can do for you.

After considering this shop integrity and afraid we are not able to get the money back, we select another longer table and to top up $250. We even took photo and sign on the display table.

very very upset and bad experience. I believe there is Karma involved. They cheated other people too.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Dec 2019 5:46 pm

Ive bought furniture in JB but stuff I could haul home directly.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 02 Jan 2020 10:22 am

My wife and I picked up a getha mattress and storage bed from JB. The sales guy did seem a bit dodgy but in the end, it worked out well.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 02 Jan 2020 5:49 pm

My wife ordered online from JB some furniture for her office. They had it delivered but there were many quality issues and they were not willing to do anything about them giving just blatant and rude responses. As they say, you get what you pay for. On the other hand my experience with Singapore sellers is not exactly ideal neither but what keeps them under some control is the fact that in more obvious they can be simply sued.