Singapore Expats

Anyone pick up any bad singlish habits yet?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 8:30 am

:wink: I thought I can learn good english in here

y3kesprit

Post by y3kesprit » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 2:02 pm

What's wrong with Singlish ?

English itself can be broken down into so many different dialects. Some examples are the Jamaican English or the Hong Kong English. And Singlish itself is a dialect as well!

And to clarify, Standard English itself is also a dialect. So why is it considered a bad habit?

Talk about adapting?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 3:45 pm

'singlish' is not considered a dialect. At least not outside of Singapore anyway. 'singlish' actually is more related to pidgin than it is to proper English. However it has evolved slightly up the language hierarchy to where it is now considered as an English based creole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singlish
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 4:15 pm

I find there are times when I drop the odd bit of Singlish in, for example when I'm order some food at a coffee shop or out shopping or in a taxi. You tend to get treated better and the other reason I do it is to make people know I'm not tourist so don't try and rip me off!!

The one I hate and, Mrs S is guilty of this all the time, is when I arrange a time to meet up and she replies with 7 plus. What time is 7 plus?? But that's just the Brit in me who likes to know exactly the time to meet up etc.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 4:19 pm

Saint wrote:I find there are times when I drop the odd bit of Singlish in, for example when I'm order some food at a coffee shop or out shopping or in a taxi. You tend to get treated better and the other reason I do it is to make people know I'm not tourist so don't try and rip me off!!

The one I hate and, Mrs S is guilty of this all the time, is when I arrange a time to meet up and she replies with 7 plus. What time is 7 plus?? But that's just the Brit in me who likes to know exactly the time to meet up etc.
:lol: think watch too much PCK ?

7 plus means she will be around like 7 .10 pm , 7.20p, or maybe 7.30pm or 7.45pm

:lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 4:50 pm

Saint, I have had the same problem for the last 27 years! Get used to it. In Singapore is called "Rubbertime".

However, when somebody calls me and makes an appointment to see me, if they are late without notifying me before the time of the appointment they won't find me when they arrive. If they were arriving for a job interview, it's over before it starts.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 5:09 pm

I remember being stranded at Little India station waiting for my wife at 1 PLUS and being hit on by a gay guy non stop. I had arrived by 1.10. The wife (back then girlfriend) only arrived at 1.50 :mad:
a.k.a. littlegreenman

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 5:57 pm

econoMIC wrote:I remember being stranded at Little India station waiting for my wife at 1 PLUS and being hit on by a gay guy non stop. I had arrived by 1.10. The wife (back then girlfriend) only arrived at 1.50 :mad:
hope you enjoyed the rubbertime with the guy. :P :D :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 6:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Saint, I have had the same problem for the last 27 years! Get used to it. In Singapore is called "Rubbertime".
In my country, it's called Filipino time. They say 7, they mean anytime between 7 and 11:59 pm.

Here's something worse:

MY MOM: "Just wait for me on the designated spot."
US: "Ok, what time?"
MY MOM (annoyed): "JUST. WAIT. FOR. ME. Why do I have to give a time?!? And don't you dare to be NOT there when I arrive..."

Is it a south-east Asian thing? Would the others from the same region chime in?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 6:53 pm

@nakatago: nah it happens in other parts of the world:

Exhibit A (Italy): Everybody sets their watches back by half an hour to make sure you are never too early.

Exhibit B (Canada): My mate Paul: "long time that you have been to Winnipeg, eh? So do you want to meet up after you touch down tomorrow morning?" Me: "Sure as hell mate! What time do you suggest?" Paul:"Cool, then I will see you in the evening between 6 and 8 on Main Street, and say hi to MJ. Got to go, bye!" Click. WTF?!
a.k.a. littlegreenman

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 6:58 pm

Saint wrote: The one I hate and, Mrs S is guilty of this all the time, is when I arrange a time to meet up and she replies with 7 plus. What time is 7 plus?? But that's just the Brit in me who likes to know exactly the time to meet up etc.

The first time something like that happened to me was not time, but price and it started a really fun conversation.

Walking into a car mechanic i asked the price of a paint touch up and got "$500 plus." Plus what...... GST, Chicken Rice.

"Give me an estimate."
"Just did lor"
"What? Honestly, plus what?
"Plus plus"
"GaaaH!"
"Take or not?"
"Yes lah" :wink:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 7:11 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote: "Give me an estimate."
"Just did lor"
"Plus plus"
"GaaaH!"
"Take or not?"
Even if you just gave us the context, it still doesn't make any f****** sense.

:???:

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 9:50 pm

nakatago wrote:
"Just did lor"
"Plus plus"
"GaaaH!"
"Take or not?"

The cost of fixing the pain on this car was SGD500 plus ie around SGD 500 with the tendency to be over 500.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 10:10 pm

econoMIC wrote:
nakatago wrote:
"Just did lor"
"Plus plus"
"GaaaH!"
"Take or not?"

The cost of fixing the pain on this car was SGD500 plus ie around SGD 500 with the tendency to be over 500.
from 500 to...how do you input the infinity sign in a laptop keyboard? :lol: :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:01 pm

Like this: ∞

Like this: " & # 8 7 3 4 ; " but without the quotes and any spaces between the characters (Numerical Code)

:wink: