Singapore Expats

Making friends with the locals

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 1:21 pm

Yes, many expats "stick together like glue" (haha, I love the term!).
The "national" (American, British, German, Swiss, etc.) clubs testify to that.

However, I avoided such types and found most locals (and non-stereotypical foreigners) very approachable, open and friendly. This atmosphere actually made me like Singapore and stay much longer than originally intended (12 years by now). I also fell in love and married a local.

I lived and tried the same in Japan before, but made no inroads whatsoever into their society (despite speaking the language). Maybe I did it wrong, but it seemed so much more difficult than in Singapore!

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 2:01 pm

:lol: I also want to mix with expats
especially ang mo girls aka european girls

but they seem don;t fancy to make frds with asian guy?LOL....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 2:18 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote::lol: I also want to mix with expats

SGBoy, they will and I know a number of local guys who have ended up marrying their European girlfriends, I have two local BiL's who are married to European girls (1 is British and the other is Austrian).

But there is one big requirement that a local has to overcome and that is the language problem. Poor English (or Singlish) isn't gonna win you any points in the babe department. Probably doesn't help with the better educated local girls who got overseas educations either. They think it's PCK cute but will soon tire of it when they find out the boy cannot talk correctly as well. I'm not getting down on you, as you are here to learn (by your own words). But it is a reality to take heed of.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 3:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

SGBoy, they will and I know a number of local guys who have ended up marrying their European girlfriends, I have two local BiL's who are married to European girls (1 is British and the other is Austrian).

But there is one big requirement that a local has to overcome and that is the language problem. Poor English (or Singlish) isn't gonna win you any points in the babe department. Probably doesn't help with the better educated local girls who got overseas educations either. They think it's PCK cute but will soon tire of it when they find out the boy cannot talk correctly as well. I'm not getting down on you, as you are here to learn (by your own words). But it is a reality to take heed of.

:lol: That why I noticed if they hangout with asian guys
Most those asian guys been to states study before or happen born at there but stay in SG.

Because their english accent sound natural.

I believe ur frds spoken english is good just like "ang mo "accents :lol: :wink:

By the way , I do know some european girls know chinese and spk chinese dam good.

I do admir those european girls spk chinese but seem hardly noticed or find in sg.

I know in russia ...there is quite alot russia girls know how to speak chinese.

Since russia is near to china.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 3:41 pm

You could start trying to speak better English by completely typing the words. Eg: speak instead of spk, friends instead of frds. A girl would never bring a guy home to meet her parents who can't speak properly, the same is the case with Singaporean girls.

In the end I think it all boils down to laziness. You want to send your message as quickly as possible and just type away. What you do not consider is that many people will be put of by it as it is very difficult to read and understand and in the end people can't be bothered to read your posts any more. I am really trying but I have to read your posts very slowly and pronounce some words you abbreviated in order to know what you actually were trying to say. This is certainly not the way to meet gals with spoken language as well, not the way to find a job either by the way. Do you do the same thing when you speak Chinese? I am pretty sure you don't only pronounce sentences half way.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 5:10 pm

Out of curiosity, why europeans girls aka ang mo or specifically, blondies?

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Wed, 07 Oct 2009 5:43 pm

econoMIC wrote:You could start trying to speak better English by completely typing the words. Eg: speak instead of spk, friends instead of frds. A girl would never bring a guy home to meet her parents who can't speak properly, the same is the case with Singaporean girls.

In the end I think it all boils down to laziness. You want to send your message as quickly as possible and just type away. What you do not consider is that many people will be put of by it as it is very difficult to read and understand and in the end people can't be bothered to read your posts any more. I am really trying but I have to read your posts very slowly and pronounce some words you abbreviated in order to know what you actually were trying to say. This is certainly not the way to meet gals with spoken language as well, not the way to find a job either by the way. Do you do the same thing when you speak Chinese? I am pretty sure you don't only pronounce sentences half way.
:lol: because I already stated my english sucks.
lol even chinese I can speak quite well but ask me read..

:oops: not everywords I can understand.