Singapore Expats

Ion Shopping Mall

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

Ion Shopping Mall

Post by ksl » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 9:12 pm

First time in there today, wow, must be nice to be super rich!

Anyway i found this VOM FASS shop on the 4th floor, and they had a really wide range of liqueurs, and tasty goodies, but it was the balsamic vinegars, i was looking for. I spent ages in there, what unique kind of products they have for the gourmet interested, and those, that really want to spoil themselves. I was just thinking of ice cream with a few shots of whiskey sauce :lol:

Its worth a visit, to see the bar :P I'll give it 5 star rating!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:31 am

i've never been there... but i get the impression it's paragon v2.0 (?)

and i just read on a news website the cross walk between orchard mrt and wheelock place no longer exists.

the underpass sounds like a real bummer.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:35 am

taxico wrote:i've never been there... but i get the impression it's paragon v2.0 (?)

and i just read on a news website the cross walk between orchard mrt and wheelock place no longer exists.

the underpass sounds like a real bummer.

It is a bummer, through Tang's etc.

With regards the Ion itself, we've been in there once and personally, it's all over the place. Bits here, bits there with no real easy way around or flow to it. Appears disjointed and way over complicated.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:46 am

Awful place, went there with Mrs S to take a look and eat, parked on 6th floor and the food court is on the basement 4. Half hour later and 10 flights of escalators finally arrived at food court!

ditto

Post by ditto » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:25 pm

nothing fantastic...was basically a huge maze...the food area was quite a letdown..

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 1:40 pm

The underpass is fantastic if you are heading from the MRT to Wheelock ... don't have to wait at that ridiculously long traffic light and march behind 1000 people to get across!

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 4:08 pm

Still a fan of smaller outfits like the Heeren. Vivo is much better than the Ion in my humble opinion, more space, easier to navigate.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

resm
Regular
Regular

Re: Ion Shopping Mall

Post by resm » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 9:05 pm

ksl wrote:First time in there today, wow, must be nice to be super rich!

Anyway i found this VOM FASS shop on the 4th floor, and they had a really wide range of liqueurs, and tasty goodies, but it was the balsamic vinegars, i was looking for. I spent ages in there, what unique kind of products they have for the gourmet interested, and those, that really want to spoil themselves. I was just thinking of ice cream with a few shots of whiskey sauce :lol:

It looks like vom Fass is exactly the right concept for that place (ION) and I have to control myself whenever I go there.

So many interesting products.
The reason why they seem to be always busy.

Combined with the three sixty supermarket makes it the place to go when you want to be good to yourself.

After shopping I love to go to the 3th floor (the marmalade pantry) and relax over a good cup of coffee (Illy) or have a quick lunch.
They cook western food the way it should be.

I like the lay-out of the Mall and find it more interesting than Paragon.

After having been there about 4-5 times, I start to get around more easy, it can be a bit confusing in the beginning.
PROUT....the only way out !

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:04 pm

resm wrote:...It looks like vom Fass is exactly the right concept for that place (ION) and I have to control myself whenever I go there.

Combined with the three sixty supermarket makes it the place to go when you want to be good to yourself.

After shopping I love to go to the 3th floor (the marmalade pantry) and relax over a good cup of coffee (Illy) or have a quick lunch.

After having been there about 4-5 times, I start to get around more easy, it can be a bit confusing in the beginning.
Of course Vom Fass must be a decent place as it is German (vom Fass literally means from the keg). One thing I learnt during my time in Singapore was that any German or Swiss shop in Singapore would always be high quality (the Swiss butcher in Bukit Timah next to Lana Cake or the German restaurant in Vivo or Paulaner Brauhaus come to mind).
a.k.a. littlegreenman

resm
Regular
Regular

Post by resm » Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:34 am

econoMIC wrote:
resm wrote:...It looks like vom Fass is exactly the right concept for that place (ION) and I have to control myself whenever I go there.

Of course Vom Fass must be a decent place as it is German (vom Fass literally means from the keg). One thing I learnt during my time in Singapore was that any German or Swiss shop in Singapore would always be high quality (the Swiss butcher in Bukit Timah next to Lana Cake or the German restaurant in Vivo or Paulaner Brauhaus come to mind).
actually the "Swiss Butchery" at Greenwood avenue is no longer Swiss.

The only real Swiss Butchery in Singapore is now called "Huber's" and is headed by the former Managing Director of Swiss Butchery (a Swiss) and his two sons.
PROUT....the only way out !

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:48 am

Saint wrote:Awful place, went there with Mrs S to take a look and eat, parked on 6th floor and the food court is on the basement 4. Half hour later and 10 flights of escalators finally arrived at food court!
Heard of an invention called the "lift"?

:lol:

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:00 am

resm wrote:
ksl wrote:First time in there today, wow, must be nice to be super rich!

It looks like vom Fass is exactly the right concept for that place (ION) and I have to control myself whenever I go there.

I think the basement areas of Ion is too cluttered and busy, while the Level 1 - 4 are more spacious. Its probably due to the brand names found on Level 1 - 4.

There are several interesting restaurants upstairs as well, including Canton-1 (which is a bit too noisy for my taste but good food) and Nautilus Project (its a western seafood restaurant. I haven't tried this yet but it look interesting).

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:01 am

Girl_Next_Door wrote:
Saint wrote:Awful place, went there with Mrs S to take a look and eat, parked on 6th floor and the food court is on the basement 4. Half hour later and 10 flights of escalators finally arrived at food court!

My problem with "lifts" is they are too full of people fit enough to "walk" that there is no space left for pushchairs.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:24 am

resm wrote:actually the "Swiss Butchery" at Greenwood avenue is no longer Swiss.

The only real Swiss Butchery in Singapore is now called "Huber's" and is headed by the former Managing Director of Swiss Butchery (a Swiss) and his two sons.
I think the Swiss Butchery is now found in Coronation Plaza.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:00 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
Girl_Next_Door wrote:

My problem with "lifts" is they are too full of people fit enough to "walk" that there is no space left for pushchairs.
Actually, for some strange reasons, nobody ever seems to take the lifts in Ion. Maybe its in a secluded area. Being a super lazy person and knowing exactly which shops I want, I always head straight to the lift in Ion. :oops:

Oh, the toilet in Ion seems pretty fancy too! Its kinda like a hotel toilet, with a serving lady inside.