Singapore Expats Forum

Bad Attitude from Doctor & Nurse

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

anti-social

Bad Attitude from Doctor & Nurse

Postby anti-social » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:19 am

I called MARINE CLINIC at blk 81, Marine Parade Central this morning at 0910hrs to enquire about my worker's medical report. And this nurse answered my call. She later told me call back at 0930 and just hung my phone.

I called in at 0935hrs and spoke to the same person and she jus hold the call and transferred to Dr. A When I spoke to Dr. A, she was so unfriendly and sound like she was sleeping. And she was so damn heck care replying my question. And I did not even completed our conversation she just hung my call. WTF! :mad:

Is this the service they should give? Both doctor and nurse was like a dead fish and as if I owe them $$$.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:23 am

So why are you posting it here for your first post? :roll:

Wouldn't it be better to post it on sgforums? Isn't that where all the locals go to whinge and b*tch?

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Bad Attitude from Doctor & Nurse

Postby taxico » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:20 am

anti-social wrote:I called MARINE CLINIC... this morning at 0910hrs to enquire about my worker's medical report. And this nurse answered my call. She later told me call back at 0930 and just hung my phone.

I called in at 0935hrs and spoke to the same person and she jus hold the call and transferred to Dr. A When I spoke to Dr. A, she was so unfriendly and sound like she was sleeping. And she was so damn heck care replying my question. And I did not even completed our conversation she just hung my call. WTF! :mad:

Is this the service they should give? Both doctor and nurse was like a dead fish and as if I owe them $$$.

i'm not sure if you realized... clinic assistants are really swamped at most singapore clinics at that hour. especially on fridays and mondays when many people conveniently "fall ill". it may not have been the best time (if there's such a thing) to inquire about the report.

clinic assistants have a tough enough time deciphering their doctors' scribbles, making sure the MC-less patient does not run away, looking up and confirming medical benefits/entitlements, clarifying errors, handling bodily waste/liquids, managing couriers from labs and pharmaceutical companies, deflecting medical reps, fielding questions from walk-ins over wait times/how much to pay, cleaning up toilets/waiting room, taking temperature, measuring weight/height/eyesight, dispensing medication, being available for female physical exams, making sure the next patient enters the room when the doctor is ready, etc.

the list never ends, and it's a thankless job. all good assistants i've encountered are brutally efficient, and must endure theirs doctors' bad moods and manners.

if you felt that Dr. A owed you a polite phone conversation, you should have confirmed it before you left the clinic with your employee. doctors don't have time to talk to patients, let alone employers, about health reports over the phone. realistically speaking, time = money.

while it is true that you don't "owe them $$$", it's likely you've not paid for that additional consult. i'm sure if you told the clinic assistant/Dr A. to bill you for the phone consultation of your employee's lab results, your experience may differ.

further, it has not been established if she has other patients waiting outside - your phone call does not come pegged urgent. i'm sure you would be familiar with the crowd that throng most clinics in the morning...

finally, if you felt Dr A's attitude was unsatisfactory, make a note to her clinic and patronize another clinic next time. vote with your wallet. ranting here will do you no good.

if i were Dr. A, i would not even have taken your phone call, and i would have later reprimanded the assistant for transferring the call to me.

you cannot imagine the number of people that call up clinics to bug them about non-urgent/medical-related problems. you appear to fit the bill.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So why are you posting it here for your first post? :roll:

Wouldn't it be better to post it on sgforums? Isn't that where all the locals go to whinge and b*tch?

Isn't it the case with 50% of the first posts being whiny people who feel they have been insulted by bad service or disrespectful attitude. I'm pretty sure this same complaint has been posted in about dozen other forums.

The other 50% is ads disguised as happy customer reports, or asking guidance and suddenly coming out with the perfect solution to that problem if you just call Kenny at 9999 9999.

Unfortunately I cannot prove my statistics, as you mods are cleaning up the evidence. :twisted:

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 1:47 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:So why are you posting it here for your first post? :roll:

Isn't it the case with 50% of the first posts being whiny people who feel they have been insulted by bad service or disrespectful attitude. I'm pretty sure this same complaint has been posted in about dozen other forums.

The other 50% is ads disguised as happy customer reports, or asking guidance and suddenly coming out with the perfect solution to that problem if you just call Kenny at 9999 9999.

Unfortunately I cannot prove my statistics, as you mods are cleaning up the evidence. :twisted:

And you belong to which of the 2 categories as apparently you left not too much room to fit any other? :P

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 2:15 pm

x9200 wrote:
ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:

And you belong to which of the 2 categories as apparently you left not too much room to fit any other? :P

Don't recall what my 1st post was about. But I'd guess just an all around BS kind of guy.

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Postby JaanJ » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 3:10 pm

anti-social wrote:
I called MARINE CLINIC at blk 81, Marine Parade Central this morning at 0910hrs to enquire about my worker's medical report. And this nurse answered my call. She later told me call back at 0930 and just hung my phone.

I called in at 0935hrs and spoke to the same person and she jus hold the call and transferred to Dr. A When I spoke to Dr. A, she was so unfriendly and sound like she was sleeping. And she was so damn heck care replying my question. And I did not even completed our conversation she just hung my call.WTF!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bad attitude? Who? The way the clinic was "advertised".... sad......Why, some people only think for themselves.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 5:59 pm

In the year I have been in Singapore I have not met a Doctor or an assistant that was anything but helpful.

I have a high regard for ALL medical staff no matter where in the world they work as its a thankless job most of the time.
And in Singapore they very professional and they know what they doing. :D
Zeenit

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 8:38 pm

Zeenit wrote:In the year I have been in Singapore I have not met a Doctor or an assistant that was anything but helpful.

I have a high regard for ALL medical staff no matter where in the world they work as its a thankless job most of the time.
And in Singapore they very professional and they know what they doing. :D

I have no experience with medical staff being impolite or not willing to help but for their level of professionalism and knowing what they were doing I have unfortunately at best mixed experience. The cases include things like selling expired drugs, losing medical records, not knowing how to behave when somebody fainted, advising to stop taking antibiotics after 24h only....

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:50 pm