Singapore Expats Forum

It's not durian either.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 3:19 am

taxico wrote:
ozchick wrote:it's that corn stuff cab drivers put under their front seat. It is a sickly smell and I can't recall what it is. The locals know...some kind of grain or herb often in a bunch... but it ain't nice. Haven't noticed it so much recently. Do we all get used to it after a while maybe?
And Saint- WHY would they do THAT?! Jeesh.....

if that's what i think it is... it's a smell inside the cab, right?

it might be 'pandan' leaves. i think cabbies use it as a natural deodorant. i don't know why. maybe coz it's cheap? it's sometimes visible on the rear dashboard.

and on longer cab rides, i would feel sick. that's when i cough a few times, then tell the cabbie i'd like to crank the window down or i'd feel bad if he caught what i have and fell ill.

(ordinarily cabbies don't like their windows rolled down as they have a belief that their a/c would suffer from irreparable damage - an excuse is necessary)

if it's a smell in the environment outside the cab, i don't know what it could be.
Actually its used to keep the cockroaches away! Oops SMS beat me to it, damn I thought he was on holiday! :lol: There is also a flower called Yulan, which my daughter is called after, she was born at the base of Yang Ming Shan, which is a mountain in Taipei, its a species of Magnolia that smells very nice, and is placed in taxis in Taiwan, I have seen it here too, but not so popular.

There is nothing more disgusting than Beijing for pissing on the street, then the meat deliver wagon arriving and throwing the pork onto the floor, in the main road. There is a stench of piss everywhere close to night clubs and bars, though i guess i am immune to all germs by now! :roll: I even recall the public toilets, where you can chat to each other while sat on the throne! :lol:

The most disgusting thing i have seen was an old man drinking water from a puddle on the street, that was infested with mossies, when i was there, there was no running water in the hairdressers and people slept in the shops, I used to take them back to campus for a shower, which they had never experienced, I had difficulty getting them out of the shower, even though the room was flooded. Asia you have got to love it!

To think UK is worse, they have baths but never use them, I'm always saying what's that smell! :lol: Christ if they did any survey I bet there is only 70% in UK with showers if that! As for durian I had my first turn off, after tasting a piece that was more mature (ripe) than normal ouch, it was really very over powering, I couldn't eat it!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 8:20 am

ksl wrote:As for durian I had my first turn off, after tasting a piece that was more mature (ripe) than normal ouch, it was really very over powering, I couldn't eat it!

KSL you got to keep at it, my first attempt I gagged, a few month later tried it again and my tummy rumbled all night like eating pureed mangoes and onions. I kept thinking there must be something about it people for people to be calling it the king of fruits.

Third time it was OK, then after that I started to notice the sweet caramel like flavours, and now love it.

lilium

Postby lilium » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:36 am

It's just the smell of the place. God, I wish I can smell it again!! I'm immune to it already. Once in a while I will get a whiff for a very short instant, and whoaa ... All the memories of my 8 years here pass before my eyes ...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:20 pm

lilium wrote:It's just the smell of the place. God, I wish I can smell it again!! I'm immune to it already. Once in a while I will get a whiff for a very short instant, and whoaa ... All the memories of my 8 years here pass before my eyes ...
Sound's like Bugis St 70's all the spices mixed with sweaty bodies and lingering Asian perfume, Desker Rd area and a couple of other places in Little India can produce the smell, of incense and aromatic mixtures

reagent

Postby reagent » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 9:40 am

Well, i will check into a few of the things you guys have posted.

As far as the smell of Singapore itself i can no longer smell it, but boy did i when i got off the plane. It was alike a mixture of car fumes, stagnant water, and raw sewage. It wasn't an overpowering smell but something in the background.

As far as this smell in the Taxis, i had one yesterday the smell was so strong i had to roll the window down. I don't even know how to describe it. But some things i know it is not....I hope.

Durian, B.O., or fishy smelling.

It seems like something earthy...

Whatever it is my nose doesn't agree with it, i can barely breath it in.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 9:52 pm

...but have you tried taking the Purple line from Harbourfront or Outram on the train headed northeast on a particularly busy time in the late afternoon or evening?!? :shock:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:26 am

Unfortunately almost every day. I've posted about that before. It's the same from Clementi to Outram Park as they get off there and change trains to the NE line on out to the Serangoon Station. Gets pretty rough sometimes! 8-[

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately almost every day. I've posted about that before. It's the same from Clementi to Outram Park as they get off there and change trains to the NE line on out to the Serangoon Station. Gets pretty rough sometimes! 8-[

...oops, sorry; I was referring to OP.

It's really tough in tight, enclosed spaces... :roll:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:05 am

Me either.

I mentioned this here a few years back, I took it to be regurgitated air, someone replied saying he thought it was the aircon itself. And it's not pandan, which is welcome given the cockroaches in taxis here.

To me it still smells like already-breathed air, and the drivers as someone pointed out, don't like the windows open. But of course that never stopped me from opening them to get "fresh" air. Once a driver actually refused to drive when I did this - he won't try that again, and learned a few new words in the exercise.

The most distinctive place I've noticed are Hawaii, which is pleasant, and Bangkok, which has a sickly-sweet combination of diesel, coconut, and smog, that oddly enough I kinda like because it means I'm on vacation.

The most distinctive smell I repeatedly notice here is some positively awful food smell, which to me is like garbage, and it comes from certain stalls at open "B" and "C" grade restaurants, but I have yet to know what it is. And this is from someone who generally likes most ethnic food.

reagent wrote:As far as this smell in the Taxis, i had one yesterday the smell was so strong i had to roll the window down. I don't even know how to describe it. But some things i know it is not....I hope.

Whatever it is my nose doesn't agree with it, i can barely breath it in.
Last edited by EADG on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:13 am

For me it was never the taste or even the smell, but how it stays with you all day, and how it repeats on you. Not unlike garlic, but more noticeable.

QRM wrote:
ksl wrote:As for durian I had my first turn off, after tasting a piece that was more mature (ripe) than normal ouch, it was really very over powering, I couldn't eat it!

KSL you got to keep at it, my first attempt I gagged, a few month later tried it again and my tummy rumbled all night like eating pureed mangoes and onions. I kept thinking there must be something about it people for people to be calling it the king of fruits.

Third time it was OK, then after that I started to notice the sweet caramel like flavours, and now love it.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby aargon » Sun, 27 Sep 2009 4:57 pm

one word - POLLUTION :???:

reagent

Postby reagent » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 9:55 pm

It is Pandan leaves. I was told by a friend who found it in the grocery and said "that's the smell".

It must just be from constant aircon over and over recycling the same nasty leaf smell.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:06 pm

reagent wrote:It is Pandan leaves. I was told by a friend who found it in the grocery and said "that's the smell".

It must just be from constant aircon over and over recycling the same nasty leaf smell.

:roll: Did you bother to even read the thread?

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately almost every day. I've posted about that before. It's the same from Clementi to Outram Park as they get off there and change trains to the NE line on out to the Serangoon Station. Gets pretty rough sometimes! 8-[

sms,

Hopefully, things will get better once the yellow circle line connects the purple line (NEL) to the green line (EW line). :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:06 am

Not really. I go out to Serangoon and come from clementi, most are coming from the same area and going to the same area! :(

But I guess I'll just have to [-o<

sms :wink: