Singapore Expats Forum

It's not durian either.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

reagent

It's not durian either.

Postby reagent » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 4:11 pm

I have been in Singapore for about 2 months now from the US. I have just 1 question that has been bugging me ever since.

What's that smell?

Seriously it is in the "background" all the time, just a hint. But sometimes a taxi will pull up and wham, there it is very strong.

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 4:26 pm

HaHa, I know what you mean (I think) – I like it, when you step off a plane in Hong Kong or Singapore – you get very distinct aroma… I had assumed it’s linked to humidity, climate, types of flowers, trees etc etc... I like it…

Unless you’re talking about a very distinct taxi after lunchtime smell – then that’s not the greatest…

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 4:53 pm

if it's not durian, then it's belachan!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: It's not durian either.

Postby taxico » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 4:54 pm

reagent wrote:What's that smell?

Seriously it is in the "background" all the time, just a hint.

But sometimes a taxi will pull up and wham, there it is very strong.

exhaust fumes? heh!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 5:19 pm

reagent wrote:I have been in Singapore for about 2 months now from the US. I have just 1 question that has been bugging me ever since.
What's that smell?

Some candidates:
- Haze from burning forest in Indonesia/Malaysia? Hasn't been particularly bad this year, but definitely still some.
- Burning joss sticks? Hungry Ghost + Mid-Autumn Festival back to back means that every shrine in Singapore is burning hell money and incense.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 5:23 pm

jpatokal wrote:
reagent wrote:I have been in Singapore for about 2 months now from the US. I have just 1 question that has been bugging me ever since.
What's that smell?

Some candidates:
- Haze from burning forest in Indonesia/Malaysia? Hasn't been particularly bad this year, but definitely still some.
- Burning joss sticks? Hungry Ghost + Mid-Autumn Festival back to back means that every shrine in Singapore is burning hell money and incense.

Cab drivers taking a piss in their taxis!

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Postby JaanJ » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 5:34 pm

Another one that makes me laugh out loud :D this time, my colleague really wanted to know what's that laughter for :D Man....

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 6:51 pm

Nah I've asked this question before too..it's that corn stuff cab drivers put under their front seat. It is a sickly smell and I can't recall what it is. The locals know...some kind of grain or herb often in a bunch... but it ain't nice. Haven't noticed it so much recently. Do we all get used to it after a while maybe?
And Saint- WHY would they do THAT?! Jeesh.....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 6:55 pm

ozchick wrote:And Saint- WHY would they do THAT?! Jeesh.....

They piss in a bottle so it saves them from having to park and find a public toilet. Believe me, it happen here!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 7:05 pm

Saint wrote:
ozchick wrote:And Saint- WHY would they do THAT?! Jeesh.....

They piss in a bottle so it saves them from having to park and find a public toilet. Believe me, it happen here!

OMG! That is SO gross!! Ooh yucky.....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 7:44 pm

ozchick wrote:it's that corn stuff cab drivers put under their front seat. It is a sickly smell and I can't recall what it is. The locals know...some kind of grain or herb often in a bunch... but it ain't nice. Haven't noticed it so much recently. Do we all get used to it after a while maybe?
And Saint- WHY would they do THAT?! Jeesh.....

if that's what i think it is... it's a smell inside the cab, right?

it might be 'pandan' leaves. i think cabbies use it as a natural deodorant. i don't know why. maybe coz it's cheap? it's sometimes visible on the rear dashboard.

and on longer cab rides, i would feel sick. that's when i cough a few times, then tell the cabbie i'd like to crank the window down or i'd feel bad if he caught what i have and fell ill.

(ordinarily cabbies don't like their windows rolled down as they have a belief that their a/c would suffer from irreparable damage - an excuse is necessary)

if it's a smell in the environment outside the cab, i don't know what it could be.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 7:47 pm

Dried sweat on PVC seats, its even worse in places that have fabric seats as the sweat tends to soak into the material.

Everyplace has a typical smell like AndyD says HK is very distinct and so is Tokyo its the fumes from the gas powered taxis.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 1:59 am

Pandan leaves also are a natural bug repellant (cockroaches in particular). They also have a distinct aroma as well as they dry.

joliefemme536

Postby joliefemme536 » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 2:30 am

What's that smell?

Seriously it is in the "background" all the time, just a hint. But sometimes a taxi will pull up and wham, there it is very strong.

We call that "funk" in the States! lol

joliefemme536

Postby joliefemme536 » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 2:33 am

Saint wrote:
jpatokal wrote:
What's that smell?

Some candidates:

Cab drivers taking a piss in their taxis!

Ummm, no way!!!!!!!! :o