Singapore Expats Forum

Application of PR - ROM in home country or in Singapore??

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
aklancer

Application of PR - ROM in home country or in Singapore??

Postby aklancer » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:32 pm

Dear All,

Good day to all. I am a Singapore PR since year 2001. I am planning for ROM with my girlfriend on early Oct'09 & apply PR for her.
Heard from some relatives that it would be easier to apply PR for her if we ROM in singapore. Instead, we would like to ROM in our home country.

Any bros or siss being rejected due to not ROM in singapore? Any advices are welcome..

Thank you !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 3:34 pm

Need a bit more info, like where is your GF from? Is she living in Singapore at the moment? If so what kind of visa is she on? Has she ever lived/worked in Singapore before if not currently in Singapore?

aklancer

Postby aklancer » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 4:37 pm

My gal fren is a M'sian. She had been working in Singapore since year 2002 & stay in Singapore since year 2004 She has just quit from last job & cancelled work permit on last end aug'09. Currently looking for job with visit pass & stay in Singapore.

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 8:52 pm

First of all, if she EVER worked on a work permit in Singapore, regardless of whether she ROM's in Malaysia or Singapore, she needs to get permission from the MOM to get married. If she does not, she will never get PR here and for that matter she won't even be able to get an LTSVP either. MOM is extremely strict on this matter. This I know for fact as my nephew who lives with me, has that problem at the moment. He has a 1 years old daughter and his wife in the Philippines at the moment as he cannot bring them here due to not getting permission from MOM first (they got married in the Philippines way after her Work Permit was canceled) This is spelled out in the application that your girlfriend signed when she got her work permit. So often they sign these documents without reading them in their haste to find a job here. But she was warned before she signed on the dotted lines. :(

So write that letter.

sms

aklancer

Postby aklancer » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 9:02 pm

thank you sms.
do u mean the permission from mom need to be wrote in? or may i walk in to mom for that? any idea how long it would be approved? thank u..
tried to find some related info on this from mom website but yet to find it..

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 9:16 pm

She/you will need to submit it in writing. You can call MOM and ask them for the address/person that it needs to be submitted to.

aklancer

Postby aklancer » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:She/you will need to submit it in writing. You can call MOM and ask them for the address/person that it needs to be submitted to.

thank u ya ^_^

jpatokal

Re: Application of PR - ROM in home country or in Singapore?

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:34 pm

Since SMS has already addressed the factual content of the post, it's time for pointless sniping!

aklancer wrote:Good day to all. I am a Singapore PR since year 2001. I am planning for Registry of Marriages with my girlfriend on early Oct'09 & apply PR for her.
Heard from some relatives that it would be easier to apply PR for her if we Registry of Marriages in singapore. Instead, we would like to Registry of Marriages in our home country.

Singapore pet peeve #973: using the acronym "ROM" as a verb instead of good old-fashioned "to marry". :mad:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:20 am

aklancer wrote:My gal fren is a M'sian. She had been working in Singapore since year 2002 & stay in Singapore since year 2004 She has just quit from last job & cancelled work permit on last end aug'09. Currently looking for job with visit pass & stay in Singapore.

Thank you

Which is why I asked the questions, and had half guessed the answers and left SMS to reply with his well versed retort from experience

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Postby wcs » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 7:08 am

If you are currently residing in Singapore, this should not be a problem, but it is worth noting. Before you can get married you need to have filed a "Notice of Marriage" form. This has to be complete a minimum of 21 days before the solemnisation.

Additionally, before you can file that application, one of two parties needs to have been resident in Singapore for at least 15 days, before applying.

To further confuse things, this application only lasts until three months from the application date. So the solemnisation has to take place within that window.

Keep these timelines in mind. For more info visit http://www.rom.gov.sg

Good Luck!

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 3:51 pm

aklancer wrote:My gal fren is a M'sian. She had been working in Singapore since year 2002 & stay in Singapore since year 2004 She has just quit from last job & cancelled work permit on last end aug'09. Currently looking for job with visit pass & stay in Singapore.

Thank you

Just to double check: was she in Singapore on an Employment Pass or a Work Permit? The two of them are different and what is usually called a work permit overseas is an EP in Singapore.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

aklancer

Postby aklancer » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 1:47 pm

econoMIC wrote:

Thank you

Just to double check: was she in Singapore on an Employment Pass or a Work Permit? The two of them are different and what is usually called a work permit overseas is an EP in Singapore.

She was a work permit holder.

I have drop an email to MOM with our personal & work permit details few weeks ago & i have received a permission granted letter from MOM within 7 working days..Thus, i have booked for my ROM.

Thank you all for the kind advices.

Cheers !

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 3:37 pm

Congratulations! That little action just saved you years of heartbreak & frustration.

The problem with the various agencies here is that they are run by civil servants. This means they are like automatons insomuch as they follow procedure to the letter. No application before marriage, fogeddit! Request for permission, no problem.

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Fri, 09 Oct 2009 5:07 pm

aklancer wrote:
econoMIC wrote:

Thank you

She was a work permit holder.

I have drop an email to MOM with our personal & work permit details few weeks ago & i have received a permission granted letter from MOM within 7 working days..Thus, i have booked for my ROM.

Thank you all for the kind advices.

Cheers !

Awesome. The only thing left for me to say is congratulations and good luck!
a.k.a. littlegreenman

flameboy

Postby flameboy » Fri, 27 Nov 2009 1:11 pm

Hi all, great info here. thanks so much.

I currently have a situation similar to all...but different. my thai gf has been here for over a year now on s-pass and she's earning less than 2K. we've been going out for abt 2 yrs + now. what do you reckon our chances are for getting MOM to approve our marriage request. My income is abt 5K / month.

Also, where can I find this form to submit an application to MOM. I've looked at MOM's site..but don't see it. Did i miss it?

Thanks everyone!