Singapore Expats

Tax question of a U.S. Citizen

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
smarty9999

Tax question of a U.S. Citizen

Post by smarty9999 » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 7:34 am

Hi all, I have some questions regarding my tax. I am going to accept an offer of a US based company to work in their singapore office. The job will be based permanently in singapore, but initially i might get some training in the US(at most a couple of weeks). It's now september and the job prob won't start til Oct. This means that I won't start working in singapore until sometime in Oct or Nov. In this case, since I haven't worked the 330 days in singapore, does that mean that the income for 2009 is subject to the US tax rule, while my tax for next year will be only subject to singapore tax since my income is within the $87,600 limit that IRS allows for citizens abroad?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 8:10 am

I'm not too sure where to start with you. But I'm inclined to say first of all download publication 54 from the IRS and have a read in general and specifically forum 2555 Income Earned Abroad Exclusion.

If you are in Singapore more than 60 days you will be subject to Singapore Taxes (whether or not you pay any is another story). You will also be required to file a US tax return and it is possible that you will not pay any taxes to the US as well but you will need to read the instructions for US Taxpayers & resident aliens abroad (Pub 54) for details.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers