Singapore Expats Forum

Urgent help needed- abt short term social visit pass extensi

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
viviwestwood

Urgent help needed- abt short term social visit pass extensi

Postby viviwestwood » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:51 am

My grandmother is currently on short term social visit pass which is valid till 28th Sep. I understand that online extension can only grant another 30 days stay here which is till 24th Oct. Her multiple entry visa will be expired on 26th Oct. would there be any way that I can extend for her another 30 days after 24th Oct? I had made my trip down to ICA. The officer was very firm that extension can only be one time and it can be only 30 days.

1) Is it possible if bring her to JB at around 20th Oct and check point will grant her another 30 days stay when we come back? Can I get her a new multiple entry visa before her visa validity ends?

2) My hubby suggests to bring my grandma for a 6D5N tour at around 23rd Oct and comes back on 28th Oct. Same question here,how could I get her a new entry visa before she departs?

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Urgent help needed- abt short term social visit pass ext

Postby Plavt » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 1:46 am

viviwestwood wrote:. The officer was very firm that extension can only be one time and it can be only 30 days.

The officer has answered your question.

1) Is it possible if bring her to JB at around 20th Oct and check point will grant her another 30 days stay when we come back? Can I get her a new multiple entry visa before her visa validity ends?

Don't even think about it, they aren't going to fall for that one, most times they only grant 14 days stay when you come in from Malaysia, in some cases it might only be three! This was recently mentioned and I doubt if it has changed.

2) My hubby suggests to bring my grandma for a 6D5N tour at around 23rd Oct and comes back on 28th Oct. Same question here,how could I get her a new entry visa before she departs?

You probably can't.......will let Sms or somebody else fill in the blanks on that one.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 2:32 am

viviwestwood wrote:My grandmother is currently on short term social visit pass which is valid till 28th Sep. I understand that online extension can only grant another 30 days stay here which is till 24th Oct. Her multiple entry visa will be expired on 26th Oct. would there be any way that I can extend for her another 30 days after 24th Oct? I had made my trip down to ICA. The officer was very firm that extension can only be one time and it can be only 30 days.

That is normal, its routine, they then have to leave Singapore and can come back, though a svp is max how long? I recall when i was getting LTSVP was only 6 month, yet I had no problem renewing it without leaving Singapore, though I was the spouse.

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 4:26 am

Your husband has got it more or less right. Before UK visitors started getting 90 day SVPs at the end of last year, our sons had to do this a couple of times. They arrived and got 30 day SVPs. We got them online 30 day extensions, then they had to leave for at least 5 nights - good excuse for a short trip to Phuket or Koh Samui. Coming back after that, no problem as another 30 days SVP granted, which may be extendable again. Why don't you take her on a short trip part way through her extension for 5 days, then she can come back while her multiple entry visa is still valid. Does she have to leave again before her multiple entry visa expires on 26th October? Not sure about that as we are not from a country which requires a visa in advance. That's another conversation at ICA.

viviwestwood

Postby viviwestwood » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:44 am

Thank you so much for all the replies. Now the problem is her entry visa is expired on 26th Oct. which means i have to get her a new multiple entry visa before I take her for a short trip on 23rd Oct which is one day before her short visit pass expires, so that she can come back to singapore again.

The question is can i get her new multiple entry visa before her current one expires? If I apply new one on 27th Oct, it will be quite risky whether i can get it on 28th Oct which is the day she comes back to singapore..

viviwestwood

Postby viviwestwood » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:48 am

ksl wrote:
viviwestwood wrote:My grandmother is currently on short term social visit pass which is valid till 28th Sep. I understand that online extension can only grant another 30 days stay here which is till 24th Oct. Her multiple entry visa will be expired on 26th Oct. would there be any way that I can extend for her another 30 days after 24th Oct? I had made my trip down to ICA. The officer was very firm that extension can only be one time and it can be only 30 days.

That is normal, its routine, they then have to leave Singapore and can come back, though a svp is max how long? I recall when i was getting LTSVP was only 6 month, yet I had no problem renewing it without leaving Singapore, though I was the spouse.

well, spouse is the different case. ICA officers said that if parents or siblings, they can grant them 90 days visa. However this does not apply to grandparents...

what a rule of that !! what if someone was brought up by grandparents not the parents? Because of the rule, they have to leave their old parents in hometown without being able to take care of them? I really feel sometimes rules are very rigid here.