Singapore Expats Forum

TV LICENCE FAQS?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:27 am

AndyD wrote:In the UK it is a database – nothing to do with detuning, or unplugging your TV. If you buy a TV of any kind, you have to prove who you are with ID, and it gets logged. If that does not match that you have a license, the clock starts ticking... Its the same as Road Tax there now, you can’t hide from it...

I have knowledge of this but I wonder just how well it actually works? I am sure you realize there are still quite a few 'fiddles' on the part of some purchasers. Nothing to stop Mr X buying two sets and giving one away to Mr Y, I'm sure it happens....
Last edited by Plavt on Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:29 am

QRM wrote:
The TV detector van was just one big PR stunt. You only have to look at the design to know it was cobbled up in some Dr. Who prop studio. As AndyD said they just work on a database, you can pretty much assume every address has a TV so when the fees are not paid they just go knocking on that particular door.

I often wondered, it seemed any time I saw the detector van in my street the guy was fast asleep behind the wheel. :o

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 3:01 am

Only paid licence once or twice in my life time and have never been fined, been caught out though on occasion, when asked if they could come inside. You can say no! freak off, get a warrant, the last time i let you people in my house you gave me a ticket :lol: They can prove nothing unless they have the warrant with them....but hey they are so poor now, they need subsidy

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 2:06 pm

OK. Got the licence. Couldn't get the SAM machine to give me one cos it required some 'voucher number'.......but yeah 'cbavasi' the Post Office has a form to complete- takes 1 minute and it's done! I only had to pay $31 cos it will expire in December when apparently the MDA will simply bill me the full amount of $110. That suits me fine. The info for this method of buying a licence was far from clear on the MDA website....useless website really- although it does sell quite well the concept of where the money goes and how supportive we all can be! Basically we're paying for free-to-air TV as I understand it yeah?
And as for the authorities knowing who has a TV, well mine was given to me by a colleague who was leaving town so 'they' sure don't know who has one and who hasn't. Pity the amount couldn't be factored into all new Cable Service TV contracts. In other words if you can't show us your licence, you will pay for it with your Cable start-up costs. Would that work?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'