Singapore Expats Forum

TV LICENCE FAQS?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

TV LICENCE FAQS?

Postby ozchick » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 6:45 pm

OK So our condo sends a letter to all of the residents warning that the authorities are coming tp inspect our apartments next week to check that we have a TV licence. The fine for not having it is apparently $5000
So I looked up the MDA website to pay for this ridiculous licence and I apparently need a Sing- pass.....sigh... I don't have a Sing-pass do I!?
I only have a FIN card and that isn't the same thing at all is it?! Sigh.....What a crock of .....!
Do they want us to buy the damned licence or not?! Grr......I can apparently apply for the Sing-pass online and it will be posted. By that time of course the inspection will have taken place and I could be $5000 poorer. Anyone got the good oil on all this madness? Why can't they just come and visit and charge me the fee for their dumb licence and leave me alone....grrrr......red tape crap....... :evil:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 6:55 pm

You can buy a tv license at any SAM machine (presumably also AXS machine), no need for a Singpass. Any household must have a valid tv license. No way around it really (unless you do not have a tv I think).

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 6:59 pm

But, check your lease terms. Our lease, on a semi-detached, states that the landlord pays for all necessary licenses and permits, so he picks up the TV license.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 8:40 pm

If you get in a bind, just lend your TV to your nearest neighbour for the week, apparently the lic isn't per TV :) Or even better, just dont answer the door when they come knocking, what are they going to do, get a warrant?

Oh, on the practical side, give your agent a call. They get too much commission for what they do anyway. Let them worry about it, in fact they should have handled it for you in the first place. Give 'em hell!
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 4:00 am

SunWuKong wrote:If you get in a bind, just lend your TV to your nearest neighbour for the week, apparently the lic isn't per TV :) Or even better, just dont answer the door when they come knocking, what are they going to do, get a warrant?

Yeah, they could get a warrant. I'm not sure on the license today, but it used to be per TV AND radio (Including the radio in the car if you had one).

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: TV LICENCE FAQS?

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 5:47 am

ozchick wrote:OK So our condo sends a letter to all of the residents warning that the authorities are coming tp inspect our apartments next week to check that we have a TV licence. The fine for not having it is apparently $5000
So I looked up the MDA website to pay for this ridiculous licence and I apparently need a Sing- pass.....sigh... I don't have a Sing-pass do I!?
I only have a FIN card and that isn't the same thing at all is it?! Sigh.....What a crock of .....!
Do they want us to buy the damned licence or not?! Grr......I can apparently apply for the Sing-pass online and it will be posted. By that time of course the inspection will have taken place and I could be $5000 poorer. Anyone got the good oil on all this madness? Why can't they just come and visit and charge me the fee for their dumb licence and leave me alone....grrrr......red tape crap....... :evil:

Hi Ozchick :) Nice to see you back in these parts. My poor pup is in quarantine now. Talk about red tape! I tell myself it will be over soon, and the staff there is wonderful ~ but it seems so unnecessary. So much protocol to follow, so many shots and vet visits. I can't help but think there has to be a better way...

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:35 am

Strong Eagle wrote:But, check your lease terms. Our lease, on a semi-detached, states that the landlord pays for all necessary licenses and permits, so he picks up the TV license.

As SE says, check your lease as the TV licence bill is sent with the yearly property Tax bill to the owner so it might have already have been paid.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yeah, they could get a warrant. I'm not sure on the license today, but it used to be per TV AND radio (Including the radio in the car if you had one).

http://www.mda.gov.sg/wms.www/devnpolicies.aspx?sid=185
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic62862.html

You can have a hundred TV's in your home and still pay the same fee.
A trick sometimes used in the UK is to de-tune your set before inspection, however Singaporean TV police may not appreciate the subtlety. Technically it is worded as "any equipment that is capable of receiving broadcasting services", and although a de-tuned TV is not currently capable, it can be made capable with little effort.

A warrant is unlikely, but with so many options, who would want to press the point.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 9:59 pm

littlegreenman wrote:You can buy a tv license at any SAM machine (presumably also AXS machine), no need for a Singpass. Any household must have a valid tv license. No way around it really (unless you do not have a tv I think).

Yeah? The 'ol SAM machine? Right LGM gonna try to do that first. Quite happy to pay for this thing but jeezaloo when it becomes a complicated procedure one can hardly be blamed for overlooking it. Will report back on my efforts and yeah as some of you have suggested, I don't have to let them in.... I may just be 'absent' if they call......
Stay cool RNT .... 'twill all be over soon...as my doctor would say- "Swow deep bweffs!" :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:37 pm

SunWuKong wrote:A trick sometimes used in the UK is to de-tune your set before inspection,

How is that done when TV detector vans appear in the street unannounced and might not even be visible on occasions let lone hand-held equipment for tower-blocks? :???:

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:43 pm

In the UK it is a database – nothing to do with detuning, or unplugging your TV. If you buy a TV of any kind, you have to prove who you are with ID, and it gets logged. If that does not match that you have a license, the clock starts ticking... Its the same as Road Tax there now, you can’t hide from it...

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:47 pm

Plavt wrote:How is that done when TV detector vans appear in the street unannounced and might not even be visible on occasions let lone hand-held equipment for tower-blocks? :???:

What can I say; nobody can stop a determined fascist.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:49 pm

we've always paid ours at the post office....

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:11 pm

Plavt wrote:
SunWuKong wrote:A trick sometimes used in the UK is to de-tune your set before inspection,

How is that done when TV detector vans appear in the street unannounced and might not even be visible on occasions let lone hand-held equipment for tower-blocks? :???:

The TV detector van was just one big PR stunt. You only have to look at the design to know it was cobbled up in some Dr. Who prop studio. As AndyD said they just work on a database, you can pretty much assume every address has a TV so when the fees are not paid they just go knocking on that particular door.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:23 am

cbavasi wrote:we've always paid ours at the post office....

You won't anymore the facility to pay at UK Post Office counters has been withdrawn. :(