Singapore Expats Forum

Time to change your netbook/notebook into a Macbook!

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
tancg17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 15 Sep 2009

Time to change your netbook/notebook into a Macbook!

Postby tancg17 » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 4:00 am

Too much viruses, malware, spyware? Program not responding? Blue screen (of death).... Just by looking at the postings I see so many people having windohz problem.

Change to a Mac or if you dare not, try it out first with an old notebook/netbook. The advantages are definitely better than sticking to a faulty software design by mikrosof.

For the past 2 quarters Mac has outsold PCs and there are very many good reasons for that. No viruses, Malwares, Spywares makes the Mac OSX already a better option. Faster, sleeker and better UI design. MsOffice etc available.

And if you really have a very good reason why Windohz is required, you still can get Mac and Windoze on 1 same machine!

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4291
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Time to change your netbook/notebook into a Macbook!

Postby Plavt » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 6:13 am

tancg17 wrote:For the past 2 quarters Mac has outsold PCs and there are very many good reasons for that. No viruses, Malwares, Spywares makes the Mac OSX already a better option. Faster, sleeker and better UI design. MsOffice etc available.



Do I smell a spammer? Macs have not out sold PCs and in case you don't know they can be hacked and infected with viruses. The point is owners would be very unlucky but then Mac occupy ony a small percentage of the market. Macs can only be a better option based on your intended usage as Windows dominates the scene and probably always will, if not for a long time to come yet (at least I would think so).

As for Windows running on a Mac I would advise anybody to ignore that; my experience and knowledge is only Windows XP will run on a Mac* (supposedly) any other version has faults and will not function properly.
I don't know if the introduction of Snow Leopard had made any difference but personally I doubt it.

* Although Windows XP runs on a Mac a common problem mentioned on several forums was of the sytem freezing. Although some reading this may have found ways of doing so without any problems.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Time to change your netbook/notebook into a Macbook!

Postby durain » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 6:27 am

tancg17 wrote:Change to a Mac or if you dare not, try it out first with an old notebook/netbook. The advantages are definitely better than sticking to a faulty software design by mikrosof.


how to try? :roll:

tancg17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 15 Sep 2009

Postby tancg17 » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:51 pm

Ah i guess it is through your own perspective that you think PCs are still fast selling, Mac has in fact taken more than 24% of the market share. And it is a fact that Macs have outsold PCs for the 2nd consecutive quarter in the USA and the trend is happening in Singapore too. It could be the price and/or it could be that people are fed up with lousy pathetic attempt at the OS they called Windoze. Program Not responding. How many steps do you require to install a program? How many steps do you require to uninstall a program? how many next next next next you have to click just to accomplish such a simple task? In Mac, its always a Click. To uninstall, just move it to trash. Try uninstalling your windohz program by dragging it into the recycle bin and see what it does to your windoze, it'll doze.

Windoze Freezes. Mac doesn't. Windoze has 38000+ spywares and countless Viruses can you name a Mac virus? Another fact.

a mac machine can run windoze. it is Windoze that hangs not the mac os, The os is still working. A windoze that runs osx will hang coz.. its a windohz after all!

Durain, check out the classified ads or the local more popular forum thats owned by SPH for details.

Was just posting my comment after seeing so many people having windohz problems, from internet surfing to messenger etc.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11050
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 1:12 pm

Who is Mike Rosof anyway?

tancg17, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics... and you are spouting statistics.

While it is true that Apple has a large lead and a 24 percent increase in sales it is in the $1000 PLUS arena... which is a very small percentage of overall sales.

If you really want to look at what the world is like, look at units delivered by HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, and Apple. Apple is dwarfed in sales... more like 10 percent of total PC sales.

And, your antagonistic view of Windows shines through loud and clear. Fact is, Windows is the reason almost everyone 'computes' these days, its shortcomings notwithstanding.

It gets more viruses that Mac because it is used so much more... and if you did any reading you'd see that Mac attacks are well on the rise. Apple's OS is not immune from buffer overruns and the numerous other security hacks available.

And when it comes to enterprise applications, where does Apple stand? Nowhere is where. Large scale networking tools? Security? Software and patch push? Intelligent peripherals for a monitorable network?

So... you like a Mac... use a Mac... but please, save us from your protestations that Windows PC's are about to go the way of the dodo. Aint gonna happen.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4291
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 1:57 pm

Tangcg17 obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.... :roll: Here's just one reference there are plenty of others;

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-Admits-Virus-Threat-Recommends-Antivirus-Utilities-98982.shtml

User avatar
littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat, 28 Mar 2009
Location: London/Singapore

Re: Time to change your netbook/notebook into a Macbook!

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 3:33 pm

tancg17 wrote:...Change to a Mac or if you dare not, try it out first with an old notebook/netbook...


Running OS X on any other computer than a Mac is against the terms of use, so please do not promote your hacked OS X images.

Although I am a happy mac user myself I would recommend to upset windoze users to install ubuntu on their current PC first and if they are unhappy in the long run then go and buy a mac.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Time to change your netbook/notebook into a Macbook!

Postby durain » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 5:30 pm

tancg17 wrote:The advantages are definitely better than sticking to a faulty software design by mikrosof.


ok, so i will buy a mac because it is using osx which is not faulty.

tancg17 wrote:Mac OSX already a better option. Faster, sleeker and better UI design. MsOffice etc available.


yes, you said osx is better and not faulty like microsoft, but then you want me to install MICROSOFT OFFICE on my not faulty osx?

tancg17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 15 Sep 2009

Postby tancg17 » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:22 pm

Nice a 2008 article. No anti virus installed on my mac, haven't had a whiff of virus or even spyware or malwares.

And i said windoze not microsoft. And because some people still think that Mac doesn't have a compatible msoft office.

As for licensing, true to that its illegal, Wonder how many illegal software programs an average user has in their computer, mac or windoze alike.

So windoze is the best cause its used by more people? Or was it a conscious choice?

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:37 pm

tancg17 wrote:And i said windoze not microsoft.


so microsoft office by microsoft is OK but microsoft windows by microsoft is not. you got to make up your mind!

tancg17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 15 Sep 2009

Postby tancg17 » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:23 am

oh so if Singapore has a bad person therefore ALL singaporeans are bad?

Gee, Yes msoft office is bad, i use open office. I named msoft office because not everyone is as educated and as windoze savvy as you.

Your point being?

User avatar
littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat, 28 Mar 2009
Location: London/Singapore

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 5:26 am

tancg17 wrote:...As for licensing, true to that its illegal, Wonder how many illegal software programs an average user has in their computer, mac or windoze alike...


You are missing the point. Yes unfortunately a lot of individuals violate copyright violations and license agreements however you are the first here who asked other users to violate the license agreement of OS X by installing it on their PC to give it a try first:

tancg17 wrote:...Change to a Mac or if you dare not, try it out first with an old notebook/netbook...


The bottom line is that nobody here disagrees that Mac OS is a better OS than MS Windows. The problem is that your post is pointless and encourages users to switch to a different OS illegally and there is no clear reason why you do this. My guess is you just want to sell your hacked OS X images.

tancg17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue, 15 Sep 2009

Postby tancg17 » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 2:08 pm

I kinda agree with that, but as I was writing I felt it wrong to be doing that here.

So I toned down the 'sell' bit and just encourage those who have had enough of windoze problem to just dare to try, dare to change to a different os like OSX.

And not necessarily through illegal means, the Mac Mini is quite cheap.

Thank you for pointing out my mistakes.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby wcs » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 3:41 am

Horses for courses!

Macs do somethings great, PCs do somethings great too.

If you have never used a computer before, a Mac is arguably more intuitive. If you have a lifetime of PC use, switching and relearning lots of things will annoy most people long before they see any upside!

If all your friends use PC and they provide you with free tech support, it is better to have a PC and be part of the community.

As for macs not crashing, well I have to have a laugh at that. If you push any OS enough, you can make it slow down, hang, or crash. If you are using a web browser and a word processor, the experience in the application is barely different at all, no matter what OS you use.

Holy wars are no use to anyone.

I'm a mac!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests