Singapore Expats

Spouse sponsored PR and Divorce

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 4:54 pm

Tell you what Adam.Sg, if I was your wife, and you talked to your friends and strangers about her in front of her the way you have done here, and if you shout at her like you are doing in your message here (all bold face means shouting!) and you blame the entire problem on her alone, I really can't blame her. IN fact, you mention she threatens you physically and emotionally? If you talked 'to' her the way you talk "about" her, I'd probably threaten you as well if I were in her place.

My personal feelings aside, as you got married on the Family Ties scheme, there is a very good possibility that you could lose your PR. However, because you have two children who are Singapore Citizens, that may well work in your favour. That actually remains to be seen and I don't think it's cut and dried but as I've earlier pointed out, it has gone the wrong way before.

As far as custodial rights are concerned, I would assume you plan on supporting your children as would be required by the courts here. Most foreign nationals usually do a runner and if they contribute at all it's usually once in a blue moon. Joint custody? Doubtful. Visitation rights, yeah, sure. As the children are Singapore citizens, the gahmen will try to ensure the well being of their own (they will grow up to be either male cannon fodder or if they are females - breeders), so I doubt they would grant joint custody as that would also be disruptive to their schooling as well.

Do you have grounds for a divorce? Have you given her grounds? Otherwise, welcome to the quirks of Singapore divorces. You will have to be separated for 3 years before you can file for a divorce unless there are concrete, provable valid grounds for divorce.

So, if she's fed up with your browbeating, but hasn't done anything except refuse you bodily comfort, I'd say you are in for a rough road. Get a lawyer, or, as ksl like to call them, solicitors. (where I come from they are one in the same as both must pass the bar.)

It might be good to talk with one, just to see what your options are from a legal standpoint and not hearsay of an internet forum where opinions are like A***holes - everybody got one and they all stink.

sms

NB: please do not spam the same message on multiple forums. The other post has been deleted.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Adam.Sg

Post by Adam.Sg » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 8:54 pm

Last edited by Adam.Sg on Sat, 11 Sep 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 10:29 pm

We've got anecdotal evidence of the courts going either direction on the PR so it might be down to the individual grounds of the divorce. If you have the grounds, get a lawyer/solicitor and take her to the cleaners. If you can convince the judge that she is an unfit mother, you may have a case for custody as well. The only way you will know is by talking to somebody who's business it is to know those answers.

Good Luck. (Oh, I'm not totally unknown to divorces - I've been married 3x) There is always blame that can be blamed on both sides. Usually it's a case of tit for tat until one goes over the limit.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Divorce of Singapore PR - Urgent advise needed.. pls hel

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 05 Sep 2010 8:49 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Adam.Sg

Post by Adam.Sg » Fri, 10 Sep 2010 2:31 pm

compromise.. yeah thats the only thing I am doing all the while.. Bro i did everything i could as a good human and husband.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 6:29 am

deleted
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Huggiebear

Post by Huggiebear » Tue, 09 Aug 2011 10:25 pm

[quote="ev-disinfection"]Am sad to hear your predicament.

I am a local, my ex is from Thailand, she got her PR through me, she was a housewife when we divorced after 9 years of marriage, we have 2 kids borned here, I was the one who filed for Divorce. Completed in 2004.

Now, she is still a PR here, our children are in her care and control, she and the kids went back to Thailand for 1 whole year after the divorce, but are all back in Singapore till now.

We did not use the 3 -4 years separation way, we settled everything within 6 months, i used a lawyer, she used a legal aid appointed by court.

But as SMS said above, which i agree, is to contact a lawyer.[/quote]

hi, can someone offer advice on how to divorce wife who only wants PR to stay in SG and/or money? tricky thing is have a daughter whom very concerned for her needs, and this woman is using emotional blackmail on my friend and the daughter!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:30 am

hi, can someone offer advice on how to divorce wife who only wants PR to stay in SG and/or money? tricky thing is have a daughter whom very concerned for her needs, and this woman is using emotional blackmail on my friend and the daughter!
Same old game for most people going through the process, no easy way I'm afraid!

You have to decide on the hardship they will have if repatriated back to the mothers home country. The child may have citizenship if born in Singapore, to a Singaporean PR, if i'm not wrong and is likely to remain in Singapore with the father! Better to seek professional help from the legal system on these matters from the local legal aid advice service. You can find the times, locations and dates on the law society website of their services!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:51 am

ksl wrote:
Same old game for most people going through the process, no easy way I'm afraid!

You have to decide on the hardship they will have if repatriated back to the mothers home country. The child may have citizenship if born in Singapore, to a Singaporean PR, if i'm not wrong and is likely to remain in Singapore with the father! Better to seek professional help from the legal system on these matters from the local legal aid advice service. You can find the times, locations and dates on the law society website of their services!
Spot on ksl. My nephew has that problem (or should I say, I'VE got that problem as the baby AND the nephew live with me now!

singaporelive0619

Re: Spouse sponsored PR and Divorce...

Post by singaporelive0619 » Sat, 21 Apr 2012 1:08 pm

Hi Steve,

Its d same question for Me Know. Did u manage to get some definite answer?

Appreciate if u can reply to this

Cheers

Stoven wrote:I received my PR late last year since my wife is Singaporean. We decided to move back here so she could be close to her friends and family. Unfortunately while I was in the U.S. finalizing everything for the move she was in Singapore having an affair. So I am now here in Singapore having to get divorced.

Will my PR be revoked due to the divorce? We were married in the U.S. and the divorce papers will be filed in the U.S.

I have sold off everything for the move here so I have nothing really to return to if I go back to the States. If I can keep my PR I am thinking of trying to start new here if I can find employment.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

chinnyreckon

Re: Spouse sponsored PR and Divorce

Post by chinnyreckon » Wed, 27 Sep 2017 2:59 pm

I was divorced a few years ago from my Singapore citizen spouse - who had originally sponsored my PR application.

I have just successfully renewed my REP for another 5 years.
Applied for renewal online on the eREP system yesterday and received an email from Immigration asking for a scan of my divorce cert and a company letter showing my salary, employment status etc.
Sent those and got the approval today.

Phew - what a relief!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 27 Sep 2017 3:21 pm

chinnyreckon wrote:I was divorced a few years ago from my Singapore citizen spouse - who had originally sponsored my PR application.

Applied for renewal online on the eREP system yesterday and received an email from Immigration asking for a scan of my divorce cert and a company letter showing my salary, employment status etc.

Phew - what a relief!
You have a SC Kid ? :)

In cases like this, age plays a big part.

chinnyreckon

Post by chinnyreckon » Wed, 27 Sep 2017 3:33 pm

ecureilx wrote:
chinnyreckon wrote:I was divorced a few years ago from my Singapore citizen spouse - who had originally sponsored my PR application.

Phew - what a relief!
You have a SC Kid ? :)

In cases like this, age plays a big part.
Yes, 2 - but big already - the youngest is going to be 18 soon and lives with her mother.

The immigration email said that as I am now divorced from the original sponsor that my eREP renewal had to be considered on my own merits - namely being resident and employed in Singapore.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re:

Post by The Ref » Wed, 27 Sep 2017 4:43 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote: PS. not a good idea to google "divorce Singapore PR" with your home computer, and leave it as last search in the browser. I had to come up with some quite clever stories to convince the better half that I'm not planning to divorce her.
That is what "Safe mode" was invented for. I cant think of any other purpose :-"