Singapore Expats

Spouse sponsored PR and Divorce

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Stoven

Spouse sponsored PR and Divorce

Post by Stoven » Mon, 14 Sep 2009 8:58 pm

I received my PR late last year since my wife is Singaporean. We decided to move back here so she could be close to her friends and family. Unfortunately while I was in the U.S. finalizing everything for the move she was in Singapore having an affair. So I am now here in Singapore having to get divorced.

Will my PR be revoked due to the divorce? We were married in the U.S. and the divorce papers will be filed in the U.S.

I have sold off everything for the move here so I have nothing really to return to if I go back to the States. If I can keep my PR I am thinking of trying to start new here if I can find employment.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Post by SunWuKong » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 3:48 pm

No, you will not lose your PR.

On the flip side, are you leaving your wife, or is she leaving you? If you're doing the leaving then perhaps you should offer clemency, my experience says that nobody's perfect. Nobody. And living on in a relationship matured by a few knocks has its advantages.

Cheers, and good luck.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 3:53 pm

Hi Steve, I am very sorry to hear about this.

From what I know you would lose your PR as it is based on you being married to a Singaporean. SE or SMS might know the details but I am pretty sure about that.

Depending on your CV and education you might be able to find a job on an employment pass though and then stay and work in Singapore that way.

Good luck.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Spouse sponsored PR and Divorce

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 5:54 pm

In principal if you already have your PR and Singapore IC card and re-entry permit on your passport, which is valid for 5 years, I don't see why your PR would be taken away from you, as the P stands for Permanent. In 5 years, when you have to re-new the re-entry permit, it might be a different case, but even that should be ok, if you've been working in Singapore, paid your income tax, have money on your CPF, and all the other stuff that shows that you are "contributing to the society".

I know one divorced guy, who got his PR via spouse and had no problem re-newing his re-entry permit, though he was married a bit longer as PR before the divorce, and they actually have a kid.

I admit that don't know for sure, especially as your divorce seems to come pretty soon after getting your PR. If ICA would think that the marriage was fixed just to get PR, they might act differently.

Stoven

Post by Stoven » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 8:27 pm

I have been married for 7 years so they know the marriage wasn't just so I could obtain PR. I also thought I would be able to keep my PR for at least five more years and possibly have to forfeit it when I try to renew my re-entry permit.

I have been trying to find out what exactly would happen but I keep hearing both possibilities. I have read of people staying married even though they are separated so the other will not lose their PR. I have also read of people getting divorce and keeping their PR. Do I just need to go to ICA and find out? If I do that will they automatically revoke it and kick me out of the country?

If I find employment and then lose my PR will I lose my job too unless the company is willing to apply for an employment pass for me?

I told my wife I was willing to work on things but she is the one leaving me. I am currently staying with her family while she has moved in with the other man.

I have always been interested in living overseas and this move was going to be a new exciting experience for me. But after what has happened, I am now all alone here and afraid I will chicken out and just run back to the U.S. giving up this dream.

Steve

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 8:39 pm

To make sure you should contact ICA, but on the other hand I do not remember anything saying that in case of a divorce I need to contact ICA.

PS. not a good idea to google "divorce Singapore PR" with your home computer, and leave it as last search in the browser. I had to come up with some quite clever stories to convince the better half that I'm not planning to divorce her.

Stoven

Post by Stoven » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 1:17 pm

There is a requirement on the U.S. divorce paperwork stating that I need to be a resident for the past 6 months in the U.S. If I end up finding work here then I am technically no longer a resident of the U.S. How difficult is it to obtain a U.S. divorce from here? Are there lawyers that specialize in U.S. divorces? What is the typical cost if it is a simple divorce? We have no children or assets to split (she is letting me keep my house in the U.S.).

Thanks,

Steve

brittanny
Regular
Regular

Post by brittanny » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 3:07 pm

u may choose to do it here since your spouse is a local
http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/family/faq.aspx?pageid=3688

please also read the US state govt page
http://travel.state.gov/law/info/marria ... e_641.html

btw have u been residing here for at least 3 years? if no, then you may wish to delay till the 3rd year to go thru the divorce application, but this depends entirely on circumstances for eg how fast she wants out, whether you are able to get a job here etc etc

also, wht do u mean by: "If I end up finding work here then I am technically no longer a resident of the U.S" ?
U.S can't revoke your citizenship, can they ?

Stoven

Post by Stoven » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:41 pm

If we choose to do a Singapore divorce will we have to be separated for 3 years first or can it be done quickly since she has committed adultery? Is it possible to file without involving lawyers since we have no disagreements in terms of assets? What would it cost to get divorced?

Since divorce is a state matter in the U.S. my state of residence requires me to be a "resident of Oregon for the past 6 months". I am technically on a temporary trip here to resolve this situation but if I intend to stay then I am no longer a resident(since I am not residing in Oregon). It has nothing to do with citizenship. I would no longer be paying state taxes so they would cut me off from using state government services.

Steve

brittanny
Regular
Regular

Post by brittanny » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 1:51 pm

hi steve,

u can find all the details (with links) of the processes, procedures n filing costs (if u choose to file the application yourself) via the first link in my earlier post. these are all self-explanatory

here in sg, you just need to be eligible and able to satisfy the requirements
out of the 3 eligibility requirements, one eligibility requirement that you or your spouse are not able to meet is: either party has been residing here for at least 3 years before the divorce application. such stay n its length cannot b accumulative
yes adultery is a ground for divorce, but u or your spouse still need 3 years of stay here

u may choose to file the application yourself, but since u don't really read details n follow guidelines well, i recommend u to get a lawyer. it'll save u alot of trouble and frustration rather than getting your writs and application kicked out if u choose to file it yourself. dont take this as hostile remark but please note that the local courts are very procedural and strict with technical compliance

uncontested divorce is not as lengthy and costs less, u can get a few quotes frm law firms around town n also get professional advise on your application for divorce

if u cant clock in 3 years, u have to do it in U.S. u've to stay in oregon till judgment order is sought, n u will need to stay there least 6 mths before u can file the papers in court n many more mths till everything finalised
n i'm sure if u choose this route, u will b looking for a job in the state

i gather u want a quickie divorce. frm what i see, either way, u cant get out fast

im sorry u have to go thru these, n u should figure out what u want n need to do in your own best interests

all the best

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:09 pm

I'm not sure where the link is now, but in the past, divorces among PR & Local's, if the PR was based on family ties, will be canceled as the links for the PR is no longer there. If the PR was obtained by way of the Skilled/Technical means then you would not be affected as the fact that you have local wife was not relevant in the granting of PR. There was a case of a Ships captain with three kids who lost both his PR & the HDB flat due to this (it's been a number of years ago now, but it did, in fact, happen as it was in the local birdcage liner).

My advice is to contact a local lawyer to get the hardcore facts in this instance. Losing your PR would not be a problem in getting an EP probably by your employer but again, this is subject to any given interpretation by MOM at different points in time. A local lawyer is the best bet.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 29 Dec 2009 2:02 am

Am sad to hear your predicament.

I am a local, my ex is from Thailand, she got her PR through me, she was a housewife when we divorced after 9 years of marriage, we have 2 kids borned here, I was the one who filed for Divorce. Completed in 2004.

Now, she is still a PR here, our children are in her care and control, she and the kids went back to Thailand for 1 whole year after the divorce, but are all back in Singapore till now.

We did not use the 3 -4 years separation way, we settled everything within 6 months, i used a lawyer, she used a legal aid appointed by court.

But as SMS said above, which i agree, is to contact a lawyer.

meplaa

Post by meplaa » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:56 pm

I never think of Divorce but it have happened to me now.

We just ROM last year May .. but he has an affair with his colleague since two months ago. Very sad .. Cry all the night but still can forgive & forget .. he is a liar .

The 3rd party wrote messages to me .. at first i tot .. just ridiculous messages .. still want to believe him.. but later on he said .. it was true .. i really cant accept .

he said .. Regret to married with me so soon & cant endure my characteristic .. Our relationship before ROM is around 3 years ..

We did not stay together since we ROM ..

Now i want is to divorce, anyone can advise me the easiest way to proceed it ?

I'm having SPR because of him, will it affect my PR status if i divorce with him ?

Any lawyer with reasonable fee for Divorce case, please let me know.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:45 am

Why is it that everyone speaks of lawyers in divorce here, when only a solicitor is required for the lower courts :???: Paul Mccartney is getting married again after paying out 24 million$ for the last one, that's expensive sex if you ask me! Okay she did have only one foot or was it leg! and he had a lawyer! look what good it did him.

Get a solicitor, they are more grounded and a fraction of the cost! :lol: Though the wives club wouldn't tolerate it! :P :lol: Meplaa sorry to hear about your situation, i think it will depend on a few variables like length of time you have been married and lived in Singapore and if you have kids. If you can prove you can provide for yourself with work it may help.

If you have no work I think they will send you home!

Adam.Sg

Divorce of Singapore PR - Urgent advise needed.. pls help..

Post by Adam.Sg » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 2:46 pm

Last edited by Adam.Sg on Sat, 11 Sep 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.