Singapore Expats Forum

Memory session

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Pablito
Regular
Regular

Memory session

Postby Pablito » Mon, 14 Sep 2009 4:08 pm

Hello.

How do we remember foreign words, numbers, names, faces? Is it a problem for you, it is a simple task?

Can you remember sequence of 20 or 30 words, listening it only once, with pause between words? Can you reconstruct this sequence in the same order or in backward order?

And if it is a sequence of foreign words and their translations? Can we grasp it just listening to it?

You know the answer, yes, it is possible. There are guys who can remember hundreds of words. But I think that almost everyone can do it.

So I have an experiment in my mind. If someone interested in taking part in it, we'll meet. I'll prepare a couple of 30 words sequences. First, I'll read one of this sequence and you'll try to remember your own way. And we'll count the results.

Then I'll read another sequence with my hints to remember, and we count another result and compare with previous.

After it we can make third sequence without my hints but with my approach to remember. Will the result be higher in this case?

I want to make it just a few times, it takes time and effort. It is free, or you can buy me a cup of coffee. Don't treat is as an advertisement, my business is in absolutely another sphere, and I don't want to earn one dollar on it.
This method cannot be explained on one meeting, but those who'll take part will have overall idea and will be able to use it further.
IT trainings, consulting, developing:
http://www.officeweapon.com
Take IT easy!

aBBie

hehe

Postby aBBie » Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:17 pm

Sound fun :D

onlyvictor

Postby onlyvictor » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 1:18 am

so what business are you in? just curious! :???:

Miriean

Postby Miriean » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 3:04 am

Deleted post.
Last edited by Miriean on Mon, 02 Jul 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pablito
Regular
Regular

Postby Pablito » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:24 pm

onlyvictor wrote:so what business are you in? just curious! :???:

I am piano performer... or quantum mechanics physicist... or computer game programmer... or space soccer player :) Choose. Besides, just below any of my post there's a signature and link to a website. I wonder, why it is there?

By the way, I've studied French and Polish by myself, only books and then French and Polish friends to talk to. Now I use this mnemo-trick to study Chinese Mandarin. Hard nut to crack, I must admit, but I don't give up.

Suppose, you know ways and able to remember such sequence of words. There are some cases where you can use this technique. For example, business meeting, where you make acquaintance and exchange business cards with 20 - 30 people. It would be nice to remember all names. And it is especially difficult in such multinational country as Singapore.

For example such list of just 20 names: Lucien, Bahren, Jude, Men Leong, Kenichi, Yi Young, Andreas, Thomas, Siong Seng, Aelesrani, Alejanro, James, Weng Sun, Robert, Bangthong, Virasac, Eva, Adeline, Preedee, Sairudee
Last edited by Pablito on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Take IT easy!

masauds
Chatter
Chatter

hi

Postby masauds » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:28 pm

Hi
Great im interested just pm me

Pablito
Regular
Regular

Postby Pablito » Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:17 am

OK, I'll inform to you, who are interested when I'll prepare. I think weekend would be better?

I only want to add that I received this methods from Samvel Garibian, the person who has two Guinness records on memorizing. One record is he restored very long sequence of words. And another record is he remembered huge number of foreign words from dozens of different languages.

Take IT easy!

sstoner

Postby sstoner » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 1:19 am

I would love to participate in this experiment.

Do curious are ppl born with super memory?? have a DVD that explores way to build-up your brainpower, which maybe helpful in ur research ;-)

nhrk

Postby nhrk » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 1:26 pm

i'm interested in this. it could be the key to acing my law exams. HAH. but really, i love anything that could potentially mess with my mind. (:

keep me in the loop!

Nevaeh
you'll never walk alone, baby.

sstoner

Postby sstoner » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 1:33 pm

4 People with Super Memory:

http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blo ... 34971.html

Amazing...

Pablito
Regular
Regular

Postby Pablito » Wed, 23 Sep 2009 3:05 pm

OK, I can see some interest, so I'll invite some of you to that meeting. I need to make some preparations. Also I am quite busy at the moment, so I'll inform you in PM.
And also I want to stress that I am not walking supercomputer, and all I want to share or test is method of remembering. Super-memory guys cannot teach how to remember, they just have it.
I was taught how to remember by a person with this power that he developed in himself.
I found the details about his Guinness records only in Russian language web-resources, so this is translation of what I've found:

Samvel Garibyan has two records in the Guinness record book. His first record Samvel set in 1990. Then he was able to remember on the fly and almost without mistakes reproduce the 1000 foreign words, randomly selected from different languages he doesn’t know. Already in 2000 he cemented the success, this time he was in the Guinness Book as the man who managed to reproduce the 2000 Russian words, while allowing only 32 overt errors. However, their ability Samvel actively use in life. The most striking example, is a terrible tragedy that occurred in 1988 in Armenia - the earthquake that killed vast numbers of people. Samvel keep in mind the huge lists of dead and missing, replacing the entire computer system, and helping people to immediately receive information about this or that to the victims.

I studied his method between his records, it was about 1995-1996.

Take IT easy!

pooiyin
Regular
Regular

Postby pooiyin » Thu, 24 Sep 2009 9:20 pm

Hi,

It sounds interesting, I would like to give myself a try.

jakeM

Rep

Postby jakeM » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:54 am

Interesting.. keep me in the loop.

mazurskyj@yahoo.com

Pablito
Regular
Regular

Postby Pablito » Sat, 26 Sep 2009 5:32 am

OK. There's some interest to our Mnemonic Meeting.
I'll finish my current project and inform you.
Jake, don't take your guns to our meeting.

What kind of information would you like to be able to memorize?
We don't need to remember phone numbers or emails.
There's not big interest to read big poems. I used to know dozens of poems in French. The longest poem in Russian I know by heart, "The Fly" lasts 20-25 minutes. "The Butterfly" a bit shorter.

So, in what cases would you use tricks to remember information?

Take IT easy!

Miriean

Postby Miriean » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 8:09 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by Miriean on Mon, 02 Jul 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.