Singapore Expats Forum

No day off!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

jacki3lene

No day off!

Postby jacki3lene » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:48 am

I am an EP holder and my husband works as a shipping executive on Spass. Well, not really an executive that works on a desk and does paperwork, in his company they are known as boarding officers. They go on board ships and deliver provisions. He works more than 12 hrs a day and no day off. I have read his contract and it says they are required to work from 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday, and 9am-1pm on Saturdays. There is also a clause stating that they may be required to "render work outside of office hours when necessary". The 9am-6pm was only true when he was still working at the warehouse preparing the supplies for delivery but when he started working on board ships and delivering provisions he works more than 12 hours. My husband says that there is no day off because ships are always going in the port everyday and ordering supplies from their company. Sometimes they have to deliver supplies to a tanker ship that is on anchor away from the port so he has to ride on a boat for 2 hrs to reach the ship. On top of that, if he finished delivering say for example at 2am, he is required to show up at work later at 9am even if the ship he is next to deliver is still at night. This is so unfair, he has so little time to rest. Acutally my husband doesn't mind the long work hours as long as he has a day off to rest.

I am worried for my husband's well being and health, he has lost weight since working for this company. If only his company will hire more boarding officers so that others can take a rest day. He got this job because he was recommended by my housemate who is also a boarding officer in this company. I have lived with my housemate for a year and since then I rarely see him at the house. Currently there are only 4 of them working as true boarding officers, 1 is still stationed at the warehouse. He hopes that the other stationed in the warehouse will be allowed to board soon but he doubts it because the parents of that guy is friends with the owner of the company. He was only hired to replace someone who was turned into a purchaser. My husband said that it was better when they were 5 of them at least they were able to rest more. He is worried if someone will resign and they will only be 3.

My husband and I don't want to make a formal complaint against the company. We don't want to jeopardize his fellow boarding officer's jobs.

My husband was on DP when he got here. If he resigns, would MOM approve his DP again? He arrived here on August 5, got his DP on August 17, cancelled it the next day for his SPass to be applied, got his Spass on August 24.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:57 am

Sorry to hear about this.

Your husband will not lose his DP if he quits the job! The DP is only based on your EP and will be valid as long as your EP is valid. From what I heard from other forum members it is not terribly difficult to get clearance for doing a new job on DP so changing job is a very valid thought and in my opinion the right choice.

jacki3lene

Postby jacki3lene » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for your reply littlegreenman.

He is on Spass now. His DP was cancelled so that his company can apply for his Spass. Do we need to apply again his DP? Or is it automatic that when Spass is cancelled, MOM will reissue again his DP?

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 5:16 pm

Oh right, sorry, I missed that he is on an S pass. Yes you will have to apply for his DP again but that should go through without problems. Also, should he find work afterwards, he will not have to apply for an S pass as long as you have a valid EP and he can take pretty much any job with his DP, MoM only has to sign a form and approve it, which I heard is rather likely.

So in the end changing back to the DP would actually benefit him as S pass quota with employers does not affect him and it should be easier for him to find a new job.

jacki3lene

Postby jacki3lene » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 9:29 pm

Thats a relief to hear! :)

My husband has an interview tomorrow with another company, if everthing goes well he will resign and then his employer will cancel his Spass and then we'll apply for DP. After that the other company will have to get an LOC for him. Do you think there will be an issue on the approval of his LOC? I heard some cases in which LOC's are being rejected when MOM determines that the dp holder is job hopping... You see he has been in his current employer for less than a month, do you think this will be an issue? Though his current employer and the other company are in different industries...

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 14 Sep 2009 1:34 am

I am not sure, but do not think it will cause many problem. Strong Eagle is rather familiar with the process of getting an LOC so he might be able to tell you more. Good luck!