Singapore Expats Forum

Buying 2nd Hand Cars

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lyonene

Buying 2nd Hand Cars

Postby lyonene » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 7:00 pm

Hi all!

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand car but i am not sure how it works with the dealers. i've heard of so many stories of dealers trying to con buyers and there's no information that i can find over the net.

perhaps someone here who has had experience in buying 2nd hand cars can answer my questions?

1) what am i suppose to pay once I've decided to get the car?
i know there's a downpayment but other fees involved?

2) are those misc fees negotiable?

3) i just passed my license less than a year ago. not sure how much my insurance will be? (i called a dealer, he said that i have to pay 1yr of insurance in full to secure the car. is that true?)

4) can i choose the insurer?

5) IF in an event that soon after the car start giving my problems, not in as good a condition as claimed by the dealer, can i hold them liable?

thanks people in advance for answering my noob questions. :)

onlyvictor

Postby onlyvictor » Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:55 pm

Hi all!

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand car but i am not sure how it works with the dealers. i've heard of so many stories of dealers trying to con buyers and there's no information that i can find over the net.

perhaps someone here who has had experience in buying 2nd hand cars can answer my questions?

1) what am i suppose to pay once I've decided to get the car?
i know there's a downpayment but other fees involved?

Guess you can check out the site below, they got lots of good tips for owning a second hand car.
http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=92
Other than the downpayment, you need to pay for a transaction fee for the dealer (usually can get it waived if you bargained hard) and a LTA transfer fee (gotta call PM Lee to get it waived)

2) are those misc fees negotiable?
Sure like hell they are negotiable though the dealer will point to their Casetrust logo and say they are authorised to do it. If you refuse to pay the usu $300 fee, suggest to them you would do the documentation yourself cos is real easy.

3) i just passed my license less than a year ago. not sure how much my insurance will be? (i called a dealer, he said that i have to pay 1yr of insurance in full to secure the car. is that true?)
Usu insurance is super expensive for new drivers and most co dun accept those with new license except a few. All policies gotta pay 1yr in advance though some credit cards do offer instalment plans,

4) can i choose the insurer?
Of course though 99% of the insurers will not choose you cos you a a new driver!

5) IF in an event that soon after the car start giving my problems, not in as good a condition as claimed by the dealer, can i hold them liable?
prob not they usu give you like a week or so warranty but i think you need to clarify with the dealer yourself!

thanks people in advance for answering my noob questions.

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Postby valleyman » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 6:07 pm

Why don't you look at getting a new one ? Before I bought my new car, I also went around visiting various used car dealerships, lots etc.. but somehow I couldn't get myself to trust what I am getting under the hood...

If you don't know too much about cars or know someone you trust a new car may be the best(slightly expensive) option...

Couple of pointers - If you do go ahead with buying a used car you can ask the dealer/owner to get the evaluation done(I can't remember the agency now)... As for insurance hunt around and ask many agencies.. I found that Liberty was offering me the cheapest quote...

As pointed above the sgcarmart website has quite a wealth of info on buying cars in Singapore!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 6:21 pm

valleyman wrote:Why don't you look at getting a new one ? Before I bought my new car, I also went around visiting various used car dealerships, lots etc.. but somehow I couldn't get myself to trust what I am getting under the hood...

If you don't know too much about cars or know someone you trust a new car may be the best(slightly expensive) option...

Couple of pointers - If you do go ahead with buying a used car you can ask the dealer/owner to get the evaluation done(I can't remember the agency now)... As for insurance hunt around and ask many agencies.. I found that Liberty was offering me the cheapest quote...

As pointed above the sgcarmart website has quite a wealth of info on buying cars in Singapore!

Agree, in the UK its bad enough handing over your cash to a second hand car sales man, thats even when the guy has a suit, and the car is in a fancy show room. Here a bloke in a vest sucking on an orange, car for sale sitting out in the open, he has his flip flop shod feet on a stool and asking for the cash equivalent of a brand new Aston Martin in the UK, is a concept that is difficult to get my head around.

We went for a new car instead with warranty etc. It was still painful here, they look blankly at each other when I ask if comes with complimentary courtesy car during servicing, free servicing and pick up delivery to my house.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 6:50 pm

did you ask for free floor mats too? :D

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 7:23 pm

durain wrote:did you ask for free floor mats too? :D

Funny you should say that I did along with golfing umbrellas, hats and polo shirts for the whole family, and a full tank of petrol. What they offered looked like furry cardboard mat, sort of stuff you line your bird cage with. Just so happen to be a Bentley show room next door, so took the sale staff there and told them to drop a coin in at the lambs wool over rugs and try and find it, now thats what I call quality floor mats.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:49 pm

Nothing wrong with purchasing a used car... done right you get something that is mostly COE in terms of cost and will run at least until the COE runs out. I would not buy dealer but through independent party... lots of vehicles available from expats going back.

mrlily
Regular
Regular

Postby mrlily » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 7:12 pm

maybe a stupid question but do you really need one?

some pro's to using taxi's;
1 - your baby can vomit in the back seat and u don't have to clean it up!
2 - don't have to pay for parking and u don't have to look for parking
3 - u don't have any maintenance costs, running costs, insurance etc...
4 - u can drink and not worry if you're over the limit.
5 - your baby can pee in the back seat and u don't have to clean it up!
6 - u can sell the lost phones u find in the back seat and pay for the entire months taxi rides

cons;
1 - sitting in someone else's babies vomit
2 - worst of all... having to endure singapoean taxi drivers driving style, accelerate, decelerate, accelerate, decelerate... why do they do that?

hmmm on second thoughts, get a car.
https://mechanical.co.nz - Development of a Secure Threaded Websocket Server in C.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 7:32 pm

mrlily wrote:2 - worst of all... having to endure singapoean taxi drivers driving style, accelerate, decelerate, accelerate, decelerate... why do they do that?

hmmm on second thoughts, get a car.

They think they are saving diesel fuel. By only pressing down half time, they think they are getting better fuel efficiency. Ask one the next time you get one of those types.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Sep 2009 9:26 pm

And if you think SE's kidding, he's not! :-|

queenie71
Regular
Regular

Postby queenie71 » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 7:29 pm

where do you find the ads for the independent postings from expats leaving?

Is there a good website?
supermarkets? - which ones?
Clubs?

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:15 pm

queenie71 wrote:where do you find the ads for the independent postings from expats leaving? Is there a good website?

Where, oh where, might it be?

http://classifieds.singaporeexpats.com/index.php/cat/10
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague