Singapore Expats

Staying power

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Staying power

Post by macaroonie » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:16 am

HI Everyone
Not sure if this topic has been covered. But besides SMS who is committed to his wife... why do people stay here long term? What keeps you all happy and committed to staying in Singapore?

Love to hear your views

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:35 am

There are two topics here... staying in Singapore... and staying with your wife... which do you want to talk about?

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:42 am

staying in singapore!

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:56 pm

Ease of life, a good job, good food, easy to vacation in great destinations, good education system for my kids, a safe environment, reasonable taxation, government administration (easy to deal with), quality lifestyle, Oh - and my wife is Singaporean :)

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 1:01 pm

As above

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 4:00 pm

Again, as above. Plus everything in Singapore is very clean, orderly and never breaks down (compared to other countries). How often did the mrt break down during the last year. Never or only once? Compare that to the London tube and you will start crying because of happiness. People also don't drink so much and are not as noisy in their behaviour. Also Singapore is highly efficient. That is why I couldn't even last two years overseas without wanting to move back.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 4:57 pm

as above and the above one. and to add, i get to learn a new language - singlish.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Post by SunWuKong » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 7:27 pm

As above x4
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Fri, 11 Sep 2009 9:13 am

What about those who don't have a family, would you stay here and would all those as aboves still hold? Home is really where the heart is...Besides learning singlish :shock: very funny! are you able to relate to the locals on an emotional, spiritual, mental, intellectual level?

curious... :lol:

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:26 am

I am relatively new here, but I concur 100% with sillingw’s comment – baring the Singaporean wife bit.

My wife is pregnant, so not in the family scenario just yet – but looking forward to it, and couldn’t think of a nicer place to start my family journey (it begins on New Years Eve – that’s the due date)…

Regarding locals / interaction and being able to relate – very much so, although that will depend on your own outlook, and how you perceive people… I love it, I love speaking to Taxi drivers too – I find anywhere in the world a taxi driver will give you a funny, direct viewpoint on a city… All the “locals”

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Fri, 11 Sep 2009 4:16 pm

I always said I would not want to have children in Singapore because they do not have a childhood. After a couple of years in the UK I changed my mind because a childhood in the west is not a childhood as it used to be. I see them youngsters smoking drugs, getting into serious fights with weapons (not like small skirmishes we had last time in our days) and many children in the UK are just rotten because of bad parenting and they drag down their peers with them. Yes, Singapore will mean that they will not get to enjoy much free time in their younger days but at least they will still have a respect for discipline, society and nation.

The only alternative is to move out to the countryside in the west but I wouldn't want my children to live overseas with my parents as neither my wife nor myself would be able to do our jobs outside a major city.

Some of us have just made that commitment to Singapore, we taking being a Permanent Resident serious and that means we have settled down here permanently and are loyal to Singapore, regardless of which passport we hold.

mrswkn
Regular
Regular

Post by mrswkn » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 5:59 am

deleted
Last edited by mrswkn on Wed, 17 Apr 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 5:35 pm

Among the many many reasons the following are most important for me-
Corruption free, Open to foreigners, Efficient, Safe and English(ok Singlish sometimes) speaking...

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Staying power

Post by road.not.taken » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 6:28 pm

macaroonie wrote:HI Everyone
Not sure if this topic has been covered. But besides SMS who is committed to his wife... why do people stay here long term? What keeps you all happy and committed to staying in Singapore?

Love to hear your views
The only thing keeping me here is getting the kids through SAS. I'm done with Singapore and June 2011 I'll be that little swirl of smoke you see on the way to Changi. I'll make tracks so fast, I'll only be a blur. It was great for a while, but the bloom has been off the rose for a long time. My 16 week old dog is in a 5' X 5' room 24 hours a day in a country that considers outdoor time to relieve themselves a 'courtesy'. Ya, I'm all done.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:56 pm

So you have also reached your use-by date. As I sit here looking out the kitchen window overlooking the dock & Choptank River here in Maryland, I know I've really passed it. Even as it's a bit of a blustery day this morning I know this is where I really want to be.

I've got a grey heron on my dock who is there most all the time, stoically waiting for a fish and a Bald Eagle who uses the Osprey's nest as a resting place while he eats the fish he's caught in the river. Last night I watched 14 deer walk across the lawn between this window and the river edge. Much better than sitting in a cafe watching the human floatsum moving down Orchard Road any time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers