Singapore Expats Forum

driving a motorbike or scooter in Singapore

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
rhumbaba
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2009

driving a motorbike or scooter in Singapore

Postby rhumbaba » Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:56 am

Hi,
I've been in Singapore now for just over 6 months and still don't have a car. It seems like it is far too expensive to have one here so I was thinking it might be better to get a motor bike. I've never had one before so I need to know if anyone can tell me about the licensing requirements (I currently only have a normal UK driving license for a car), and where I can go to learn to drive one. Also does anyone know about the costs involved in registering, taxing etc. a bike?
Thanks
Clare

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:15 pm

If you can figure out a way to get a motorcycle license in the UK you would be well advised to do so (although I understand the UK process is also convoluted). Otherwise you will have to do the class 2b instruction from the beginning. It is unlikely you can complete the training in less than 3 months, a lot of people take six months to do it. See the diagram below.

This license will let you ride 200 cc motorbikes or less. For a new bike, the registration tax is 15 percent, as opposed to 110 percent for cars. The COE for a bike is around $800 right now as opposed to $16,000 for cars. A small CC bike costs about $70 per year for road tax. Much cheaper than a car.

You can get into a decent used 200 cc or less bike for $1500, ready to go, maybe even less... and for a bit more, get a real cream puff.

Image

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Mon, 07 Sep 2009 3:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: (although I understand the UK process is also convoluted).


UK bike test;

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=405

User avatar
lilium
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 16 Sep 2009
Location: orchard

Postby lilium » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:21 pm

If you live alone, I'd highly recommend a bike over a car. The only advantage a car has over a bike is that it can be driven under the rain. (Well, so can a bike but it's more difficult.) Other than being more costly (which I think is not a problem for those who can afford it), issues like parking and traffic jam make it very troublesome and time consuming.

When I took the Class 2B licence course, I was lucky. First, I was staying very near the driving center. Second, I was a student and I had lots of time. So, in the end, without failing any lessons or tests and booking each lesson as soon as I passed one, I was able to get my licence only after 3 months and I had spent more than $500.

You can only get a class 2B licence in one of the 3 driving centers. One is at Bukit Batok. The other two, I'm not sure : )

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 4:06 pm

lilium wrote:When I took the Class 2B licence course, I was lucky. First, I was staying very near the driving center. Second, I was a student and I had lots of time. So, in the end, without failing any lessons or tests and booking each lesson as soon as I passed one, I was able to get my licence only after 3 months and I had spent more than $500.


More-less mine experience too but I think it is not that of a problem to attend the lessons as IIRC they are between 7:30 and 21/22 including weekends. I was not a student and managed to complete it after working hours within similar timeframe.

Some other remarks:
- relative difficulty of the practical test is mainly about manual skills - you are unlikely to fail because you violate some traffic rules (of course doing it you will fail too) but you may easily fail because of incorrect posture, wobbling the bike etc.
- the rumour has it there is a quota for No of candidates per driving centre/class to pass the tests and especially by year end it may be a bit unpredictable to know what your chances really are.
- for the safety reasons it is better to invest some money and buy maxi-scooter (there are some 2b ones too). You are much better visible on the road. Generally my experience is that if you behave like a car you will be treated like a car. Majority of local motorbike riders show some kind of inferiority complex and let car drivers to push them around.
- I also agree that if you are alone (I would say if you have no children) having a motorbike is extremely effective. Maxi-scooters can have quite impressive trunks and are unbeatable during rush hours.

rhumbaba
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 28 May 2009

Postby rhumbaba » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:09 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm definitely going to investigate further.
Does anyone know if you actually already need to have your own bike to learn on, as obviously it's a costly investment without already having a license, however how do you learn and practice without one? That may sound obvious, but do they give you a bike to practice on in a lesson, if you take lessons, like when you learn to drive a car, and can anyone recomend anywhere good to learn with?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:43 pm

rhumbaba wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm definitely going to investigate further.
Does anyone know if you actually already need to have your own bike to learn on, as obviously it's a costly investment without already having a license, however how do you learn and practice without one? That may sound obvious, but do they give you a bike to practice on in a lesson, if you take lessons, like when you learn to drive a car, and can anyone recomend anywhere good to learn with?


Bikes are always supplied by the driving schools. You can get your 2b without owning a bike at all.

There are only 3 driving centers in Singapore. I recommend Bukit Batok (BBDC), not because I did the work but I know others that did. They have a good practice driving range and seemingly good instructors.

maiku
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon, 30 Aug 2010

Postby maiku » Mon, 30 Aug 2010 1:26 pm

but bikes got the biggest disadvantage. Death! LOL! :?

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 9:32 pm

maiku wrote:but bikes got the biggest disadvantage. Death! LOL! :?


only if you ride like a muppet.

User avatar
ap 4POT
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun, 13 Jun 2010
Location: Thailand

Postby ap 4POT » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:49 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
rhumbaba wrote:Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm definitely going to investigate further.
Does anyone know if you actually already need to have your own bike to learn on, as obviously it's a costly investment without already having a license, however how do you learn and practice without one? That may sound obvious, but do they give you a bike to practice on in a lesson, if you take lessons, like when you learn to drive a car, and can anyone recomend anywhere good to learn with?


Bikes are always supplied by the driving schools. You can get your 2b without owning a bike at all.

There are only 3 driving centers in Singapore. I recommend Bukit Batok (BBDC), not because I did the work but I know others that did. They have a good practice driving range and seemingly good instructors.






i recommend BBDC too..i got my 2b,2a,2 and class 3 all from there..:)
keep smiling :)

User avatar
ap 4POT
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun, 13 Jun 2010
Location: Thailand

Postby ap 4POT » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:52 pm

maiku wrote:but bikes got the biggest disadvantage. Death! LOL! :?




seems like u r against riding a motorcycle..care to share? i mean other then death, what else do u know about bikes?
keep smiling :)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 7:56 am

ap 4POT wrote:
maiku wrote:but bikes got the biggest disadvantage. Death! LOL! :?

seems like u r against riding a motorcycle..care to share? i mean other then death, what else do u know about bikes?

Easy. Death would be about enough, wouldn't be? As much as we like riding motorbikes we should also acknowledge that this is dramatically less forgiving as compared to the car driving. You have to know what you are doing and what the others can and may do. If a car driver makes a mistake the only toll can be a few scratches or a dented metal. Exactly the same situation we can be dead or seriously f*d for our life.
But if you know how to ride you are as safe as the car drivers. Motor bikers have simply no comfort of being reckless and and less vigilant and unfortunately the opposite is like a trademark for many riders here.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Thu, 02 Sep 2010 8:30 am

@x9200, What you is saying true. But then please dont think cars can always get away with a few scratches. If a car crashes at high speed, well death is a possibilty. Agreed that the margin of error is much lesser in bikes. But thats not going to stop bikers from riding will it? Have a look at the SingaporeBikes forum and compare to mycarforum or any other forum and you will see the number of passionate bikers match if not outnumber the car drivers. Obviously not everyone treats a vehicle as just a mode of transport.

Hitwise compiled a list of top 10 singapore websites. Here's the list:

#1 Hardwarezone --- Of course! hardwarezone is the most active forum in SG...
#2 vr-zone --- same field as hardwarezone... but not as popular.
#3 sgforums --- A general Singapore based forum which includes all kind of topics... such as sggirls, chit chat, etc.
#4 sgclub --- A general Singapore based forum which includes every topic but their shopping spree is the most active and popular, they also have clubs such as bowling, basketball. (i am in their bowling club)
#5 flowerpod --- A female forum with almost all female discussing about beauty and fashion.
#6 singaporebikes --- A forum about Bikes!
#7 keeptouch --- A general Forum... not much about this cause it is very general and nothing special.
#8 . --- A forum with all mothers in there! If you are a mother you should check this forum out... it is a really nice forum with lots of mother information.
#9 cozycot --- Same type of forum as flowerpod but not as good as it.
#10 shoppinglifestyle --- One of the oldest shopping spree website that do sprees.

This clearly proves it.

Car is a safe and convinient more for transport.
If you cant afford cars and can bear public transport use MRT/Buses.
If you cant afford cars and cant bear public transport use a bike, being fully aware of higher risks than cars. Having a passion of owning a bike and maintaining it makes the decision easy. :)

denden
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 08 Sep 2010

Postby denden » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 2:44 am

"Taking short naps prevents old age, especially when you have them while you are riding."

Moonfruit
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 11 Sep 2008
Location: Singapoo
Contact:

Postby Moonfruit » Sat, 18 Sep 2010 9:11 am

durain wrote:
maiku wrote:but bikes got the biggest disadvantage. Death! LOL! :?


only if you ride like a muppet.


Not true!

In 99% of cases, motorcyclists are generally killed by the Muppet driving of the car involved.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests