why

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
jdaniel
Regular
Regular

why

Post by jdaniel » Sun, 06 Sep 2009 9:51 pm

the reason they did this is because a whole bunch of refugees came to canada stayed received their citizenships and decided to return to their now stabilized warn torn countires and when hell broke loose again canada had to send ships to ferry them back because they were canadians...after that one experience haha the gravy train ended... i think you all know which country I am refering to.... Lebanon..... so sadly for those true blue Canadians who just happen to be out of the country at the time etc... have to make arrangements to have your kid in canada if you want to retain canadian citizenship or follow whatever procedures to retain it.

why do we want a bunch of lebanese who have never seen canada have the luxury and protection Canadians have earned.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: why

Post by ksl » Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:00 am

jdaniel wrote:the reason they did this is because a whole bunch of refugees came to canada stayed received their citizenships and decided to return to their now stabilized warn torn countires and when hell broke loose again canada had to send ships to ferry them back because they were canadians...after that one experience haha the gravy train ended... i think you all know which country I am refering to.... Lebanon..... so sadly for those true blue Canadians who just happen to be out of the country at the time etc... have to make arrangements to have your kid in canada if you want to retain canadian citizenship or follow whatever procedures to retain it.

why do we want a bunch of lebanese who have never seen canada have the luxury and protection Canadians have earned.
Same problem all over the world, although the smaller Countries like Denmark have been abused by all including the European Common Market, it used to be a Country of strong health agenda's, like no cans allowed for drinks because of the aluminium content, although they were forced into defeat by the European laws. Immigration and refugee rights is another very abused area, the hard work done by Danish people was destroyed within 10 years of refugees, arriving, I personally rejected more and insisted the commune wasn't big enough to take more, although those in charge needed to keep their positions, it was either take them or close down.

The whole framework was abused and the whole Country suffered because of that abuse. WHY because too many cooks spoil the broth!

Singapore is the perfect example of leadership for any Country, providing it looks after its own people first and it does in most cases, of course there are always those that cannot be pleased, and that's just tough luck. There are many things that get up my nose too in Singapore but what i see around me, is growth, not deterioration, that has got to be the most positive aspect for any Country, and they deserve it, because it is well managed, like it or not!

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Post by batgirl_cdn » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:16 am

The new rules are that Canadian born citizens can have children abroad who automatically gain Canadian citizenship, but those children must have their children in Canada to pass on the Canadian citizenship. Both of my children are now under this rule and it is perfectly fine with me. If my kids will make their home elsewhere in the world and live and work and contribute to that other country, then their children can take the citizenship of that country. There is always the option of coming to Canada to have the children if it is that important, or to move back to Canada one day and sponsor the children. There has to be an end to generations of "Canadians" being born who never live in the country, just use the passport for travel convenience and emergency help when things go to hell in their country.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 3:22 pm

ksl wrote:
jdaniel wrote:the reason they did this is because a whole bunch of refugees came to canada stayed received their citizenships and decided to return to their now stabilized warn torn countires and when hell broke loose again canada had to send ships to ferry them back because they were canadians...after that one experience haha the gravy train ended... i think you all know which country I am refering to.... Lebanon..... so sadly for those true blue Canadians who just happen to be out of the country at the time etc... have to make arrangements to have your kid in canada if you want to retain canadian citizenship or follow whatever procedures to retain it.

Same problem all over the world, although the smaller Countries like Denmark have been abused by all including the European Common Market, it used to be a Country of strong health agenda's, like no cans allowed for drinks because of the aluminium content, although they were forced into defeat by the European laws. Immigration and refugee rights is another very abused area, the hard work done by Danish people was destroyed within 10 years of refugees, arriving, I personally rejected more and insisted the commune wasn't big enough to take more, although those in charge needed to keep their positions, it was either take them or close down.

The whole framework was abused and the whole Country suffered because of that abuse. WHY because too many cooks spoil the broth!

Singapore is the perfect example of leadership for any Country, providing it looks after its own people first and it does in most cases, of course there are always those that cannot be pleased, and that's just tough luck. There are many things that get up my nose too in Singapore but what i see around me, is growth, not deterioration, that has got to be the most positive aspect for any Country, and they deserve it, because it is well managed, like it or not!
Spot on mate! I couldn't have put it in better words. I also completely second my fellow Canadian batgirl_cdn.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 4:13 pm

jdaniel wrote:why do we want a bunch of lebanese who have never seen canada have the luxury and protection Canadians have earned.
Citizenship by right of descent through the first generation has long been a right under British law. I am a British citizen because my father was born in Liverpool and emigrated to Canada... yes, I am Canadian as well by birth.

Canada was essentially operating under British law until 1967 at which time its own immigration laws incorporated much of British law.

I don't see a major problem with first generation right of descent. Parents may move but children have the right to return as citizens without a hassle.

I think the other posters are not entirely correct. It is not generationS, it is only the first generation born outside of Canada that have the right to citizenship by descent.

To the OP: Sounds like xenophobia to me. Exactly how is rescuing Canadian citizens a bad thing and how does it hurt you?

And, there is a lot of missing information. Did the Lebanese hold Lebanese citizenship, that is were they of dual citizenship?

And to the OP: You think that Canada should just blow off legal citizens because circumstances turn ugly?

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Post by batgirl_cdn » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:43 am

Strong Eagle, there are people getting Canadian citizenship when they only live briefly in Canada to get the citizenship or get it by birth only, then never live in the country and in fact know very little about it. They simply want a passport that is easy to travel on, and cheap university tuition for their kids if they choose to study in Canada. So, essentially, they want to use the benefits that Canada can provide without ever wanting to live there and contribute to Canadian society.

p.s. I read it was 40,000 Canadians in Lebanon that needed evacuation. A pretty high number of Canadian expats there eh? :roll:

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 15 Sep 2009 1:55 pm

What the UK have done is said that children of people born there can be citizens, but not the 3rd generation. There is an exception. If the child lives there for more than 7 years then they can be "naturalised" and their children (whether born in UK or not) will have the right to citizenship.

Here is an interesting question... What happens to the grand-children of expats who are not born in a country that allows them to take the local nationality? For example - Gen 1 give birth to kids (Gen 2) in a country where naturalisation is difficult to obtain. Gen 2 kids like the country so much they stay there after "leaving the nest" and have their children (Gen 3) there. What nationality are those children?

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Post by batgirl_cdn » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 7:19 pm

I think they would have to arrange to go to one of the parents countries to give birth if the children cannot gain citizenship of the country they reside in. Or, the parents should gain citizenship in that country so that their children will of course get that citizenship after birth.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 8:52 pm

carteki wrote:What the UK have done is said that children of people born there can be citizens, but not the 3rd generation. There is an exception. If the child lives there for more than 7 years then they can be "naturalised" and their children (whether born in UK or not) will have the right to citizenship.

Here is an interesting question... What happens to the grand-children of expats who are not born in a country that allows them to take the local nationality? For example - Gen 1 give birth to kids (Gen 2) in a country where naturalisation is difficult to obtain. Gen 2 kids like the country so much they stay there after "leaving the nest" and have their children (Gen 3) there. What nationality are those children?
Thats whats happen to us. My Father is British, born in the UK, I just so happened to be born in Japan but have a British passport. My wife (British citizen ) and I were about to have our kid in Singapore when we discovered if our kid was born outside of the UK she would not be entitled to British citizenship because I was not born in the UK. We had to make an emergency dash to the UK to give birth so our kid would have a British passport. If we stayed here even Singapore would not have given her a Singapore Passport so she would have been know as a person born without a state.

It was Maggie Thatcher that changed the rules, I can see why, people were taking the piss, Some Johnny foreigner would get his British citizenship return to his mud hut have 60 children and in theory they would all be able to claim British Citizenship.

Interesting about Canadians, there are suppose to be a quarter of a million Canadians living in HK :shock: (after 1997)

Special Girl

QVC

Post by Special Girl » Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:01 am

is it true that if you apply for PR out here, then any children u have, (whether born here or not - but living here in sg) have to serve in the singapore military?

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Post by econoMIC » Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:05 am

This only applies if you apply for your children after their birth. Should they be a PR then they have to serve national service.

Alternatively you can just keep applying for Long Term Social Visit Passes for them and once they go to school a student pass will do but once they are out of school it will be difficult for them if they want to stay on without being PR.
a.k.a. littlegreenman