Singapore Expats Forum

Tenancy agreement matter-your opinion/advice is appreciated

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

josephine

Tenancy agreement matter-your opinion/advice is appreciated

Postby josephine » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 3:58 pm

Hello,

I received an invoice from my ex-property agent with regards to agency fee that I have to pay for the renewal of my tenancy agreement that I did personally with the landlord.

Although the agent were not involved in the new tenancy agreement, they argued that I signed a 'Letter of Undertaking' a year ago which stated that 'In the event that the Tenant renew for every one year, 1/2 month commission will be chargeable'.

The previous tenancy agreement consisted of 3 people as 'The Tenant', where I was one of them. The new tenancy agreement consisted of 3 people as 'The Tenant' as well but the other 2 people are different from those stated in the previous agreement. Therefore, I don't consider the new agreement as a renewal of the previous agreement, but rather a totally different agreement which has nothing to do with the previous one, for which I don't have to pay any renewal fee to the agent.

The agent, however, still think that this is a renewal of the previous agreement considering that my name is still on the agreement.

This does not make any sense to me. So I'd like to ask for your opinion or advice if I'm right on this matter. I'd also like to know if there is an organisation where I can ask for advice with regards to this.

Any comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Josephine

craig

Tenancy agreement

Postby craig » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 4:11 pm

So long as u sign the letter to undertake, u r obligated to pay the agency fee, even though it's a new tenancy- it is still under your name. If there was to be any negotiations, it should be before you sign the undertaking, not after.

Don't go about arguing abt it or seeking an organisation's advise, because at the end of the day, that's the answer everyone's gonna give.

-babycin-

Postby -babycin- » Fri, 15 Oct 2004 4:54 pm

how about not renewing the lease and getting your landlord to draft a new contract..as though it is a NEW case...or have you already signed the renewal?...Coz i understand your landlord would have to pay for the commission as well??so he might wanna work something out...anyway..not sure if this is possible...just throwing in some ideas... :P