Singapore Expats Forum

Exporting a Car for Friend

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jonnoyeo

Exporting a Car for Friend

Postby jonnoyeo » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 1:29 pm

Hey all a few questions here that hopefully you can help out with!

I have a Singaporean friend who's been living in Singapore who is migrating to Australia.

As i understand they are able to export one personal car of theirs to their migration destination (Australia).

As they do not wish to bring in their own personal car to Australia i am interested in them to purchase a car that i personally want and get them to bring it to Australia for me as it is MUCH cheaper in Singapore.

The rules in Australia are that you are able to import a car under a SEVS rule which basically means if it is available for purchase in Australia then you CANT import it personally.
However, as i have the Singaporean friend they are able to bring in their own personal car and not be affected by this import rule.

My question is, is it possible for them to purchase a de-registered car from an exporter/used car seller in Singapore and successfully bring it to Australia by using their 1 car quota?

Thanks for any help regarding the matter!
Cheers, Jonno.