Singapore Expats

Ex Cadet Pilot

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
shivas77

Ex Cadet Pilot

Post by shivas77 » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 3:19 pm

Hi All,
I have been following your threads religiously for the past few months, and I must say there is a wealth of info here for anyone interested in an airline career, so I felt it would be befitting to join you guys and seek some serious advise about my dilemma..

I was recruited under the Cadet Pilots Ab-initio program in 2006 and failed my competency check, thus getting chopped off from the program in the SFC phase itself before Jandakot.
Its been 3 years now, but somehow I still feel that I would like to pursue a career in flying, either through self sponsoring or other ab-initio programs.

At the time of my cadet pilot training, I did not have a PPL. Now I have a valid PPL and so feel that I was prematurely kicked out during the single prop flying phase..

Can any Kind Souls out there PLEEASE advise what options I have, now that SIA is TOTALLY NOT AN OPTION FOR ME! THANKS!
Answerable Questions & Questionablke Answers..

aloyscious
Regular
Regular

Post by aloyscious » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 4:32 pm

its hard ....but u can try for budget airline...i have friend like u ..till now never get to fly but still not giving up hope...its just pure waste of time...perhaps give one last try on budget like air asia..its good...

be positive...in hwatever things u do..and be confident..it will all be okay...

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 6:38 pm

Shivas77 - a fail in ab-initio, even though you now have a PPL, isn't going to rate with any airline as tech crew. If you like flying, might I suggest trying cabin crew, or even operations, operational control, or even something in head office, like revenue/yield management, where you can use your skills as a part of an airline?

The so-called "lower" airlines, aka. budget airlines usually have the same standards as mainlines these days, because they cannot afford the problems that have occurred in the past.

Mr. P (ex Tech crew)

PS. Mods will flame me no doubt

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 6:45 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:PS. Mods will flame me no doubt
Why? What you said is right on the money. And I think that if the OP thinks about it, he ought to take to heart the fact that if he failed the competency check in ab-initio, what kind of pilot would he be if he passed, and has he given any thought at all to having many lives in his hands with apparently nominal flying skills.

There's pilots and there's drivers... and if you've even been on a plane with a driver you don't want to do it again.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 6:59 pm

oh get over yourself, SE! You're making things worse for EVERYONE.

You now qualify MY posts based on what you DON'T know! Got a Boeing endorsement have you? Taken responsibility for 137 people? Lives? Ever given an injection? Started an IV? Been in command of a $38 Million aircraft. No. Didn't think so. What was the biggest project you ever managed? I bet lives weren't at stake.

Pathetic. Truly pathetic.

You might as well kick our account - shame about the sponsorship we bought to the site. I'll let them know how some of the mods and their "mates" work here.

Good work - pleased now?

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Thu, 03 Sep 2009 11:15 pm

shivas77: Someone mentioned airasia. Airlines like these are very unlikely to take you in if you didn't get thru seletar. The only ones I know who were terminated and went over were all 2nd officers at the time of their training/termination at SIA/Cargo.

So...... what to do??? You could go the long route and get a CPL on your own. Check Pprune for details on that. But life will be hard, it's expensive, and it will be a long time before you fly for an international airline.

Otherwise, I hear that CX is recruiting ab-initio pilots now, and unlike previously, you don't have to be a PR. Vietnam is recruiting 1st officers, but I don't know if they have an ab-initio programme. Check out their website.

Good luck.

Strong Eagle: Don't be too hard on Shivas77. There can be any number of contributing reasons why he didn't make it thru the competency test (eg just 1 bad day/flt, a poor instructor, preoccupation with gnd school etc etc) , and it doesn't mean that he cannot be a good pilot. I know plenty of people who struggled in the beginning, but bloomed into aces as the course progressed, and SIA would be a lesser airline without these people.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:05 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:oh get over yourself, SE! You're making things worse for EVERYONE.

You now qualify MY posts based on what you DON'T know! Got a Boeing endorsement have you? Taken responsibility for 137 people? Lives? Ever given an injection? Started an IV? Been in command of a $38 Million aircraft. No. Didn't think so. What was the biggest project you ever managed? I bet lives weren't at stake.

You might as well kick our account - shame about the sponsorship we bought to the site. I'll let them know how some of the mods and their "mates" work here.

Good work - pleased now?

I'm curious P., are you off your meds at the moment? I can only imagine what you would have said had this ole farmboy made that comment.

I cannot speak for SE as I don't know if he has his PPL or not, but I, on the other hand, while not having a civilian PPL, WAS a military pilot (not just a tech crew). I suppose you will diss that as well. How many lives at stake? I don't have any idea but generally only limited by the accuracy of my firing coordinates to the US Navy in the Gulf of Tonkin. While my chopper didn't cost as much as your precious Boeing, I probably spent more than that on each mission in expended artillery shells fired on my coordinates by the Navy. So you could say lives of countless thousands were in my hands on each flight. :-|

You really must get down off your high horse as I don't really see any reason to be up on one. You are no longer a Tech Crew just as I am no more a combat chopper pilot in Vietnam.

Oh, your sponsorships? I don't really think the owners are all that concerned considering the quality of your posts in the past couple of months just attacking any & everybody for no reason at all. Just like tonight.

moderator/sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:07 am

Sorry P, but I will have to second SE's last line as well. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Post by jencrs » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 2:08 am

I don't know the history behind the lovefest in the past few posts, and I certainly take no sides, but I just want to highlight a couple of things in your post.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:(not just a tech crew)
Just a tech crew? Is there a scale where I can measure my worth as a pilot (military or commercial) that I'm not aware of? You've got your responsibilities and I've got mine, no one's just anything.

We've got plenty of military pilots turned commercial who have flown all sorts of aircraft, fixed wing or otherwise, and I've never heard any of them view their present responsibilities any less than when they were military.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:So you could say lives of countless thousands were in my hands on each flight.
Not really the same thing, is it? You might as well say that countless thousands of lives are in the hands of a pilot who may or may not decide to slam his jumbo into a highly populated area.

Anyway.... > $38 million each mission for each chopper's coordinates? Wow.

But we're digressing. Let's focus on helping poor shivas77 out.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 7:23 am

jencrs,

For the record, if you don't know the problems we have with some posters, then the best thing to do is steer clear of it.

I was not denigrating the responsibilities of tech crew, but only pointing out a fact that one should not diss others, especially when one has already been put out to pasture AND only assumes that another poster was ignorant of any of the facts, like the poster is/was the be-all and end-all when it comes to flight knowledge. That is why I originally did not and do not get into flight discussions. As far as costs per mission? I don't have a clue. But you can bet that those huge artillery shells from battleships don't come cheap and the lives at the receiving end of those same shells were either. So, counting their costs, repairs costs and collateral damages costs, I'd say it was probably quite a bit higher than what I said. But it was more for effect than accuracy.

What do you reckon my calling in a full blown air strike on my coordinates would have cost even at 1967 costs? :-k

:wink:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 9:24 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:oh get over yourself, SE! You're making things worse for EVERYONE.

Good work - pleased now?
Get off your high horse. I know exactly what I am talking about. And I know that someone who fails to pass a competency test really ought to think about another career. Only thing I can't figure out is if you were a driver or a pilot.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 1:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: I know exactly what I am talking about. And I know that someone who fails to pass a competency test really ought to think about another career.
So when you fail at something you should give up the ghost? A sad place the world would be if we all did that! I take it you did not read or simply ignored the comment earlier by jencrs who is a pilot. I must say I find your statement pretty 'rich' considering your own background posted on your own website for the world to see. :roll:
Last edited by Plavt on Fri, 04 Sep 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 1:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:jencrs,

For the record, if you don't know the problems we have with some posters, then the best thing to do is steer clear of it.
Jencrs is not interested in the 'problems' we have with some posters he merely made a comment. Saying somebody is 'just a tech crew' came across as insulting.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 1:07 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:
PS. Mods will flame me no doubt
This was unnecesary and I doubt if anybody would have flamed you mod or otherwise. You said your worth that was good enough.

aloyscious
Regular
Regular

Post by aloyscious » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 1:45 pm

Last edited by aloyscious on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.