Singapore Expats Forum

Latest Firefox Upgrade a Complete Dog!

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Strong Eagle

Latest Firefox Upgrade a Complete Dog!

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 8:31 am

I upgraded from 3.0.13 to the latest, 3.5.2. What a horrible mistake! Amongst the horror show items:

a) Eats far more CPU and sometimes eats so much CPU that it hangs... cannot close windows... cannot do nothing... must kill it with task manager.

b) Memory hog - for a given number of windows open shows twice as much memory usage as earlier version.

c) Doesn't actually end the application when I quit. More often than not, I have to kill it with task manager.

d) Gets real confused on start up - says it couldn't recover my open windows... but then again, I didn't have any.

e) Much slower to start up and much slower to show recent history in URL bar the first time.

I went back to 3.013 and am much happier.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 8:54 am

I just though it was my PC causing the problems. Maybe going back is a good idea. I also have the problem with total hangs & having to use the task manager to kill it as well.

Does is alleviate the problem significantly enough to make it noticeably better? I ask because I was also getting the occasional hang up and noticed that I would get a notice that ff was still running when it closed (again having to use the task manager to close it) and it was also taking quite a while to load before the last upgrade. Normal size for me on opening (all tabs) is around 93,000kb but as I type this about 10 minutes after opening I notice it's up to around 131,000kb and by the time lunchtime rolls around it's usually around 180,000kb. I though that they got the memory leaks fixed!

:(

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 9:04 am

Have you guys tried google chrome? Been using it a bit and doesn't seem to have as many problems as the others.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:39 am

Hmm, been using 3.5 for a while now, and haven't noticed any problems compared to 3.0. Can't say it's all that much better either...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:16 am

jpatokal wrote:Hmm, been using 3.5 for a while now, and haven't noticed any problems compared to 3.0. Can't say it's all that much better either...

You must be living a charmed life because the boards are alive with complaints.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_fo ... &forumId=1

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_fo ... &forumId=1

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:29 pm

I am using 3.5.2 as well and there doesn't seem to be any problems for me either.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 1:21 pm

I am with JP and Plavt. No problems here with the latest version but then again I am using a mac anyway and not an antiquated system like windozzzze.

Did you guys try completely uninstalling firefox and then re-installing it? Did that at my sister in law's the other day and it solved the problem you guys are describing.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 1:43 pm

The thing is, is it the browser, or is something nasty in the computer! I have been having problems with windows not opening, just freezing every two to 3 times, then it opens....something very strange is going on, although no virus or malware. Though i have picked up over a 1000 errors in the registry, the application i use, only fixes a few at a time. So have to upgrade, and buy! I am checking them all out to see which one is value for money.

I've no idea what's going on, but some strange s--t is happening, with email message text showing in the AVG search bar on occasions. and the big freeze is very often....The same is happening with my new EEEPC too, so I downloaded firefox 5.3 and it appears to have solved the problem for now....So my guess is, there is something nasty going on, that is effecting both browsers! The time lapse between clicking the browser and opening gets longer until the freezing starts, which tells me the CPU is being occupied, and struggles with the step procedure for some reason. I see the processing time is lengthend on opening normal programs, which tells me it may not be the browsers at all. But the inability to react in nano seconds, now takes seconds and sometimes 10 to 20 seconds, could well be the computer just needs a total reformat if its 2 or 3 years old. Though my EEEPC is only a month old, which knocks the crap out of that theory...so its got to be a bug somewhere and not a virus.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 2:26 pm

ksl wrote:The thing is, is it the browser, or is something nasty in the computer!

Frankly, I don't give shit. I had a working browser with no issues. I upgrade and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. It aint my problem. I have no intention of playing police detective to find out why the new version doesn't work. I'll just use something else that does work.

The attitude of software makers suck. Imagine that you took your car in for a necessary recall upgrade and afterward it pulled to the left. The car dealer would fix it. The software dealer would say there must be something wrong with the way you are driving or the road. Ferk'em.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 2:45 pm

Well, I just downgraded to FF 3.0.13 since I posted my original message earlier after reading the links that SE has posted. It has made a hell of a difference. But before I did the downgrade, I disabled the Skype plugin. It seems to speed up a wee tad but a couldn't be sure. However, I'm now back on 3.0.13 and it's just rocking so I'm gonna see how it goes today and if this continues, the notebook at home will get the treatment tonight.

It even more important on the notebook as it doesn't have a dual core like my office PC has. Right now I'm sitting on 105,000kb according to the task manager with 6 tabs running (my normal default opening tabs). Only add-ons I run are ie tab, Fireftp, adblock, ns .net framework asst, Java quick starter & 20 or so plugins.

I definitely think 3.5 is buggy though.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 2:51 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
The attitude of software makers suck.

In the words of Mark Minasi (one fellow American who works with computers and has published a few books); not everything is plug and play, more like shrug and pray

Dj SharK

Postby Dj SharK » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 7:33 pm

Plavt wrote:I am using 3.5.2 as well and there doesn't seem to be any problems for me either.

Same for me. Been on 3.5.2 and everything seems to run fine.