young melbourne family moving to singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
melbourne mum

young melbourne family moving to singapore

Post by melbourne mum » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:09 am

Hi,
We’re a young family from Melbourne, with a 2 and 1 year old girls and a bub on the way. We’re looking to move to Singapore in November and are looking for a place to live near other expats families? We’re also curious about good expat private kindergartens or anyone’s personal experience with their children at Avondale preschool, ais or Rosemount kindergarten?any suggestions would be great.
Cheers

loosersic

hi

Post by loosersic » Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:11 pm

Hi.
Hoping your time here will be great.
Came here five years ago with a young daughter and one on the way.

We live about 6km from the Australian Int School where both our girls go now.
I will own up now to working there as some people knock the school. Despite that, I have taught in 7 schools in 20 years and this is the best one I have ever worked in.

Our Singaporean born (but Aussie passport and nationality - ask me about the forms you need to fill in!) atended local Preschool until she was 3 and we were very happy with it - eating porridge (savoury kind) and getting a lot of pure Mandarin during their chinese lessons - the centre was run by a Dutch guy and his Singaporean wife (from memory) near Sin ming Ave in Bishan. Quality finish and activities. We even employed their Chinese teacher to do tuition for both the girls each week.

My opinion: The school has been great. We could never give our girls this type of education in Australia. Our eldest does Violin, Ballet, Chinese and Netball - again - more than what we could offer them in Australia. And they are growing up with not just Aussie kids - her best friends are Indian, Malaysian and Chinese (although they are all Aussie passport holders). She knows her friend doesn't eat meat or animal products because of his Hindu religion and recently made sure her birthday party had some food for him. She knows her other friend fasts during Ramadan and the reason why (I didn't know that myself)Never in Australia would she have gotten this.

Anyway - best of luck. The schools are all expensive. Unlike Australia, there is no Govt funding for teachers salaries (Australia funds even the most exclusive schools at 25% for staffing). It all depends on what you want for your children.
I intend on going back to Australia and want my kids to have at least some bond with their home land - even if we don't go back until they are teenagers.

melbourne mum

Post by melbourne mum » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:00 am

Hi,
Thanks for your insight. I am actually a primary school teacher myself and would be interested in your professional opinion in the education system. I’m only really looking to the preschool program (2 days a week) as my eldest is only 2. However if we stay a few years I’d like her first few years of primary school to help with an easy transition back to school in Melbourne. I have also recently heard about white lodge preschools do you know anything about them?

In regards to my pregnancy, I’m actually flying home for the birth, not really sure of logistics in terms of when ill fly back or when my hubby should follow for the birth but I would love to know of a good ob gyn to see while I’m there?

While I’ve got you I’m going to pick your brain a bit....... any suggestions on areas to live or good complexes for families. we looking at districts 10, 11, 12 or 21- which really means nothing to me yet but they seem to be close for the schools we're looking at.
Cheers.

loosersic

Aus in Sing

Post by loosersic » Wed, 09 Sep 2009 7:11 am

Hi,

Can only speak from Experience in relation to medical. We went through Raffles Hospital in the City. Modern hospital (very impressed with it) with a fantastic doctor who took us through the first three years of my daughter's life - Veronica Toh. Very experienced - brought our little one into the world (2 months early so she needed lots of TLC).

I'm a primary teacher as well but can only comment on preschool I know through my daughter. When she turned 3 we sent her to 2 days a week at AIS. She now does 4 days a week at 4yo. The preschool puts so much into making it a great place you can't be disappointed. I only go there as a Dad but the things they do there are really impressive - I have taught in 7 schools in my life and this is the best preschool I have seen (again - not a sell job for the place - that is my honest opinion). Went to open day last week and parent interviews the week before that. We get regular weekly newsletters about what they have been doing with lots of pictures of the class. It is learning through play (which I am in favour of) - not rote learning or pressured learning by any means. My older daughter also went through preschool there and we were really impressed.

As to good complexes for families in those areas I think they are closer to the city. I live closer to the school in the centre of the island. Rents closer to the city are higher and I'm on a teacher's package, which is better than at home but nothing like being able to live on Orchard Road. I've been to kids' parties here and am absolutely gobsmacked by the opulance of some families' apartments or houses. The best thing to do is get an agent as soon as you get here and tell them your budget. My first place was a 120m2 new condo and that lasted for two years. Lovelyplace but soon got too small despite the great pool area. We moved to a bigger 200m2 older place condo with high ceilings which was great. Initial rents were only 2000 a month then went to 3100 a month.

Good luck in your move and I hope you get a great place to live.

local2009

Re: young melbourne family moving to singapore

Post by local2009 » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 5:57 pm

melbourne mum wrote:Hi,
We’re a young family from Melbourne, with a 2 and 1 year old girls and a bub on the way. We’re looking to move to Singapore in November and are looking for a place to live near other expats families? We’re also curious about good expat private kindergartens or anyone’s personal experience with their children at Avondale preschool, ais or Rosemount kindergarten?any suggestions would be great.
Cheers
Hi there,

I am a local but do have US friends whose son attended school like the Pat School House. I did check them out when I was searching for a place for my daughter. There were many expat kids in that school (Buckley branch, I heard it's a better one)

You might want to check out this website....

http://www.patschoolhouse.com/aboutus.asp

If you like this school (Buckley branch), you might want to zoom into District 11 (Newton, Novena) for your accommodation.

Cheers.