Singapore Expats Forum

Glue Traps

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 2:59 pm

I am gone for a week and then this?

Guys how can you be inhumane to animals? As the word says already you can be inhumane to a HUMAN only, isn't it?

Let us not forget rats are rats and pigeons are the rats of the air. If you don't kill them they will kill you in a long and painful manner if you happen to catch one of their diseases. Same with the dengue mosquitos. As Darwin said already: survival of the fittest. :wink:

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 3:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
So now you are going to differentiate on the "duration and level" of distress? :roll:

It is a hell of a lot better than a glue trap.

Have you even seen a snapper trap used? Guess what, they normally sh*t & p*ss as well.

A snap trap is far cleaner because it often results in an instant death. There is no live animal struggling in glue, chewing its own limbs off and shitting all over itself out of fear constantly. A glue trap is much more messier, and we're not even taking into account all other sorts of things that get stuck on it.

How about us using tactical nukes? course there's lots of collateral damage but the rats closest to ground zero won't feel a thing. But then again, after Hiroshima the first living things found at ground zero were rats and cockroaches. :lol:

Now you're just being silly. :lol:
Last edited by GavinBrown on Mon, 31 Aug 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 3:54 pm

littlegreenman wrote:Guys how can you be inhumane to animals? As the word says already you can be inhumane to a HUMAN only, isn't it?

I'd advise you to get a dictionary.

If you don't kill them they will kill you in a long and painful manner if you happen to catch one of their diseases.

There are things called medications. Oh, and doctors and hospitals. The only way you'd die is if you were careless enough to get the disease in the first place, and stupid enough not to seek medical attention when you get sick.

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 3:59 pm

Plavt wrote:That should have been perfectly obvious, I think your just some 'bod' who like to rant and rant fot the sake of it! This discussion is obviously a waste of time.

Not really... it gives a nice cross section of people's attitudes and moral standing. I don't know about you but I do not see the point to induce suffering to an animal when you can just go with a quick kill. Just no point in it, and most certainly immoral (and illegal seeing you're from the UK, as trapped animals are protected by animal welfare laws from unnecessary cruelty).

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 4:30 pm

GavinBrown wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:How about us using tactical nukes? course there's lots of collateral damage but the rats closest to ground zero won't feel a thing. But then again, after Hiroshima the first living things found at ground zero were rats and cockroaches. :lol:

Now you're just being silly. :lol:

Not any sillier than I was being in the very first paragraph of my very first post in this thread. And here you guys thought I was being serious! There's one born every minute. Please go back and reread my first post, or better yet, read it the first time as you obviously missed the not so subtle humour of the first paragraph. I love it when people are soooo caught up in their own righteousness that they can't see the forest for the trees.

And yeah, I like rat glue, they cant move too much when I crush their skulls with a nut cracker or vice grips.

I've even got a more novel well to do 'em in too. When you work offshore as a diver, you give 'em the equivalent of a sat dive by blowing them down in the medical lock of the recompression chamber to around 200' of pressure and leave them for around 20 minutes. Then you just vent the airlock causing massive embolism. Painful? Probably. Do rats deserve it? Yeah! Rats carry deadly things around with them like the plague - therefore they deserve to suffer for all the suffering they cause us. I likes it! :devil: Dog is a vengeful Dog! And humans were made in Dog's image that's why we are so cruel. :P

I don't have a "Taking the P*ss" avatar so this will have to do....

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 4:42 pm

GavinBrown wrote:l (and illegal seeing you're from the UK, as trapped animals are protected by animal welfare laws from unnecessary cruelty).

Just for your information; coventiional mouse traps and glue traps are available and in use here.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 4:50 pm

GavinBrown wrote:
littlegreenman wrote:Guys how can you be inhumane to animals? As the word says already you can be inhumane to a HUMAN only, isn't it?

I'd advise you to get a dictionary.

If you don't kill them they will kill you in a long and painful manner if you happen to catch one of their diseases.

There are things called medications. Oh, and doctors and hospitals. The only way you'd die is if you were careless enough to get the disease in the first place, and stupid enough not to seek medical attention when you get sick.

Dictionary.com:

in⋅hu⋅mane  [in-hyoo-meyn or, often, -yoo-] –adjective
not humane; lacking humanity, kindness, compassion, etc.
Origin: 1590–1600; var. of inhuman; see in- 3 , humane

Please note that the word is derived from inhuman. So think about it. Not human? I would certainly say a pigeon or rat is not human as defined in the dictionary, that is why they are called pests. Also I am not quite clear in the showing kindness and compassion to a pigeon part. But okay, silly me.

Also before making bold statements like just see the doctor and see medical attention when you get sick: I don't want to get sick in the first place from a pest and also keep in mind that there were fatalities from rats in a hawker centre three months ago. But of course they were all stupid because they died from it and you are right. If you prefer getting sick from pests and don't mind taking medication that is fine but you can't force your love for pests on other people who don't fancy getting diseases from pests.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:07 pm

I rather be a lobster chucked into boiling water than one ear marked for the crawl off your plate sashimi special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QweeLT-p ... re=related

Just walk through a live wet market in mainland China, the glue trap suddenly looks like a walk in the park for the critters.

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:14 pm

littlegreenman wrote:I would certainly say a pigeon or rat is not human as defined in the dictionary, that is why they are called pests. Also I am not quite clear in the showing kindness and compassion to a pigeon part. But okay, silly me.

It doesn't matter if it is a human or not, inhumane still has its definition. You can still be unkind to an animal, hence the "human" bit is totally irrelevant as it does not contradict the actual meaning as it applies to animals too. The "kindness" bit would be something like putting one out of its misery if it is injured in a trap.

Also before making bold statements like just see the doctor and see medical attention when you get sick: I don't want to get sick in the first place from a pest and also keep in mind that there were fatalities from rats in a hawker centre three months ago.

You don't need to torture them to death to prevent sickness. I'm not saying that rats aren't a health hazard, but to actually die from a disease contracted from one you would have to be either careless/stupid, incredibly unlucky or have no access to medical treatment.

But of course they were all stupid because they died from it and you are right. If you prefer getting sick from pests and don't mind taking medication that is fine but you can't force your love for pests on other people who don't fancy getting diseases from pests.

Not what I meant so don't be coy.

This really isn't about pests and disease, more to do with a philosophy of the treatment of other living beings. I don't "love" pests, because I kill them... but I respect the fact that said animals can feel pain so I am not a damn jerk about it when killing them.

They aren't inanimate objects, they're living organisms with the capacity to suffer. THAT should be enough to have the decency to quickly kill them, instead leaving them to starve to death on a piece of plastic.
Last edited by GavinBrown on Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:19 pm

Plavt wrote:Just for your information; coventiional mouse traps and glue traps are available and in use here.

I know that, but doesn't mean people should be irresponsible. It only means that trapping animals with certain traps is legal, but making them suffer in them certainly is not.

Have you ever heard of the gin trap before?

Answers?
Regular
Regular

Postby Answers? » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:22 pm

GavinBrown wrote:I am not a damn jerk about it when killing them.

just the rest of the time, huh :-k

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:31 pm

Answers? wrote:just the rest of the time, huh :-k

And where do you get that from?

As if a few misinterpreted words on a message board is worse than inflicting mass amounts of pain on another animal anyway.

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not any sillier than I was being in the very first paragraph of my very first post in this thread. And here you guys thought I was being serious! There's one born every minute. Please go back and reread my first post, or better yet, read it the first time as you obviously missed the not so subtle humour of the first paragraph. I love it when people are soooo caught up in their own righteousness that they can't see the forest for the trees.

Did you or did you not see the :lol: smiley at the end of my post?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:33 pm

GavinBrown wrote:Have you ever heard of the gin trap before?

No, but I've heard of a man-trap and right now I can think of a damned good use for one. :P

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 7:22 pm

GavinBrown wrote:They aren't inanimate objects, they're living organisms with the capacity to suffer. THAT should be enough to have the decency to quickly kill them, instead leaving them to starve to death on a piece of plastic.

I agree with the killing quickly part but in many countries you are not allowed to kill them by law and I can't say I fancy paying a 30 quid fine for every pigeon I shoot down. So what other choice do I have if the legislator sanctions killing them pests?

Return to “General Discussions”