Singapore Expats Forum

Glue Traps

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Glue Traps

Postby ksl » Sun, 30 Aug 2009 1:06 am

I was horrified to find a pigeon that must have fell victim to glue, both wings glued down it could not fly at all. I hope to god it isn't something that SMS is peddling. I know very little about it, it wasn't until the RSPCA came to collect the bird, that they told me.
These animals suffer a very long and stressful death, normally of starvation, how this can be legalised is beyond me! :mad: :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intcfY6fdSY

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Aug 2009 2:07 pm

Nah, we hire guys with 12 bore shotguns to kill mice. They sit around your household or warehouse on 12 hours shifts and blow the crap out of them, even if they see them scurrying across your roof rafters. Then we go up and patch up the holes in your roof as well. We used to use poison bait pellets and then people complained that the rats ate the pellets and then ran back into the walls and died, setting up a stink worse than a ripe durian stall. So we went back to the shotgun method. As rats are very quick it like trap shooting, so sometimes they also blow holes in the walls and occasionally there are humans who were on the other side of the walls but very quiet, so there was some human collateral damage as well........

:roll: Just what we need, another PETA freak. Don't wear shoes as they are made out of leather as well. Oh, don't eat beef or better yet become a Vegan, most of them are a little weird anyway. :wink: :lol:

Actually, Rat Glue has been the rat control of choice for decades here in Singapore. You can buy rat glue in any mom & pop hardware store in Singapore. But unfortunately, we do not use them, sorry to disappoint.

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Sun, 30 Aug 2009 9:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: :roll: Just what we need, another PETA freak. Don't wear shoes as they are made out of leather as well. Oh, don't eat beef or better yet become a Vegan, most of them are a little weird anyway. :wink: :lol:

I don't need to be a PETA member to say that glue traps are inhumane.

I am a meat eater, and wear leather shoes... but I am also against unnecessary animal cruelty.

Actually, Rat Glue has been the rat control of choice for decades here in Singapore. You can buy rat glue in any mom & pop hardware store in Singapore. But unfortunately, we do not use them, sorry to disappoint.

Glue boards aren't necessary most of the time. They are an extremely horrible way of killing anything - there are more humane ways to kill animals. I think that is the point the OP is conveying. People use them because they are ignorant, or simply cold hearted. There are better ways than to torture something to death, that is my 2c.

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:04 pm

For those who want more credible links than PETA about the evils of glue traps:

Wildlife site on glue traps

New Zealand study on the prohibition of glueboards (read section 3.2)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:59 pm

War is inhumane as well isn't it? But we still engage in it.

I notice you were quick to condemn but slow to come up with a via alternative (most of the alternative methods don't work in outdoor market types of facilities or haven't you noticed.) Rats traps and snappers don't always do the job and are expensive to maintain and the snapper only gets one at a time, (there is a saying, the slower rat get the cheese) and even still you have to find a way to kill the bastards. A rat with a broken back can still bite the crap out of you. I use vice grips to just crush the head of 'em. Works a treat. The you just thrown 'em down the rubbish chute. works for me. :P :cool:

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:War is inhumane as well isn't it? But we still engage in it.

Doesn't mean it is right! And should the happening of one inhumane act lead reason to another? I don't think so.

War is fought between two voluntary parties though, so the comparison is quite silly.

I notice you were quick to condemn but slow to come up with a via alternative (most of the alternative methods don't work in outdoor market types of facilities or haven't you noticed.)

And why is that? There are many alternatives - snap traps, cage traps, a wide variety of quick lethal traps in the form of modified snap traps and electrocution traps. They all work. There's always the option of getting a natural predator... ferrets and dogs are quite good ratters!

Even poison is kinder than a glue trap.

Okay, suppose we throw morals out the window:

- Glue traps do not kill the animal quickly, thereby giving it a chance to escape. Sometimes they will pull themselves off, other times they'll gnaw off a leg or two.

- In addition to the above point, the trapped animal will squeal, thus warning his ratty friends to stay away.

- Disease transmission. Any animal will shit and pee excessively on the traps out of fear, and if struggling, it will certainly bleed. That is as unsanitary as you can get.

- Effectiveness. They're no more effective than any other trap, maybe even less because all kinds of stuff gets stuck on it (dirt, grit, dust, insects, etc). Temperatures changes render it ineffective.

- Usability. They are a one use only kinda trap... unlike the others. So it ain't cheaper in the long term.

- Indiscriminate. Pets and non-target animals often get tangled up in these things.

Rats traps and snappers don't always do the job and are expensive to maintain and the snapper only gets one at a time, (there is a saying, the slower rat get the cheese) and even still you have to find a way to kill the bastards.

Expensive? There's no maintenance at all! You can't really claim "not working" as a reason, because the same applies to glue traps.

My problem with glue traps is not only their horrible inhumanity, but the lack of regulation. Animal traps are supposed to be checked frequently to ensure minimal suffering, yet people use these traps and throw them into the bin to starve - or just leave them there? :roll:

Terrible, terrible things that just encourage suffering and nothing more. But I guess $$$ talks here, people use them because they are cheap and convenient. But a couple of extra dollars and that slight extra convenience isn't worth the agony the animals go through, nor the risk of escape and disease transmission.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised - their use is reflective of some people's callousness and complete ignorance towards the animal's pain. Many places do fine without these traps, as there are always alternatives. Torture should never be endorsed, even in wartime!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 1:25 am

GavinBrown wrote:electrocution traps.

Now, how odd you should mention that, just what I use but do you know how electricity kills?

There's always the option of getting a natural predator... ferrets and dogs are quite good ratters!

:lol: :lol: :lol: You don't own a pet shop by some chance do you? Seriously who do you think is going to buy a dog to catch rodents that appear periodically? You should remember rats, mice and pigeons are vermin and carry diseases including salmonella. Do you want babies and young children coming into contact with such things?

As for inhumanity let's hope you never visit a Korean restaraunt (look up some of their cooking methods).

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 1:29 am

SMS War is inhumane as well isn't it? But we still engage in it.
We or you mean governments, we that are trained to kill can kill in a controlled manner, those that kill for the sake of killing well, isn't it a crime, i mean many Americans have been accused of it in war and the odd Englishman too it all depends where and how you get your kicks.

Of course a paranoid Country like America, that live by the gun, would always shoot first, many would shoot to incapacitate but 90% would shoot to eliminate, haven't we also seen it happening in the UK, after the police force, started training in the USA.

Although we are talking about pests and pigeons are seen as pests too, but really, you talk so much about how good you are at hunting and yet you cannot agree that a pigeon isn't allowed a fair chance to escape :roll: Does that make you macho, or good at your job? If truth was known, you are probably not even involved, if you ar employed in HR and finance, but okay we will listen! Is this the fisherman swallowing his own bait :wink: or is it 25 years living in Singapore...I mean sh-T I've seen many rats in this Country, even over at the local hawker center. It's just so disappointing that your in the business of pest control, yet you have to rely on others to teach you how to do it in a profitable way, that's got to be one of the biggest jokes of the year. Your company would be foolish to admit to using glue traps anyway, right!

Anyway all i want to ask, is if you are allowed out for a beer! It's been a while and the money is burning a hole in my pocket, same old crowd is welcome, and more can join in if they want, lets arrange a day!

How's bluethunder doing?

Plavt I must also admit to eating dog and also watching the dogs being butchered, Took my camera to record the scenario in China and its really horrific, the dog is hanged and skinned alive, I couldn't believe it, i was stopped from taking photo's, the puppies are raised and killed at 3 months it's really horrific. Though watching the head come off an American by the terrorist is just as evil.....you want pain and suffering humans will deliver every time, There is nothing worse on earth than a human, when it comes down to killing and destruction and that is fact!

Isn't it ridiculous that people over 50 and 60 still have very young minds, think about it, the hierarchy is look to the elders, respect of the wise old man. Todays youth couldn't give 2 sh-ts, but they will be tested in life!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 2:26 am

Plavt wrote:
GavinBrown wrote:electrocution traps.

Now, how odd you should mention that, just what I use but do you know how electricity kills?

There's always the option of getting a natural predator... ferrets and dogs are quite good ratters!

:lol: :lol: :lol: You don't own a pet shop by some chance do you? Seriously who do you think is going to buy a dog to catch rodents that appear periodically? You should remember rats, mice and pigeons are vermin and carry diseases including salmonella. Do you want babies and young children coming into contact with such things?

As for inhumanity let's hope you never visit a Korean restaurant (look up some of their cooking methods).

The fact that ferrets are used in many instances of pest control, that really does produce results, even a cat will have great difficulty in overpowering the polecat, which can kill very quickly and efficiently, most animals will avoid polecats and even rats will vacate the vicinity. A polecat can be smelled from over 3km away, it is known as the escape artist. I have had several since my young age of 8 years old, the polecat is an assassin if you relent in feeding him. The ferret is also used extensively in the construction industry for under ground tunneling projects, for dragging string through the pipes, once the string is through you can pull the cables through.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 7:20 am

ksl wrote:we that are trained to kill can kill in a controlled manner,

Yeah, Claymore mines, bouncing bettys, cluster bombs, aerial flechettes, all controlled to main and disfigure. Oh, lets not forget napalm as well.......

Anyway all i want to ask, is if you are allowed out for a beer! It's been a while and the money is burning a hole in my pocket, same old crowd is welcome, and more can join in if they want, lets arrange a day!

Not a bad idea. But unfortunately, I'm going home for 16 days on the 9th (finally! I really need it!) Returning on the 26th so can do ofter that. We don't have a rat problem on the farm, but we do have a problem with groundhogs & fox! But there I use a rifle (not allowed here).

How's bluethunder doing?

Good question! He's dropped off the radar screen..... Both here and on the weight loss site. Don't have a clue

Plavt I must also admit to eating dog and also watching the dogs being butchered, Took my camera to record the scenario in China and its really horrific, the dog is hanged and skinned alive, I couldn't believe it, i was stopped from taking photo's, the puppies are raised and killed at 3 months it's really horrific. Though watching the head come off an American by the terrorist is just as evil.....you want pain and suffering humans will deliver every time, There is nothing worse on earth than a human, when it comes down to killing and destruction and that is fact!

Isn't it ridiculous that people over 50 and 60 still have very young minds, think about it, the hierarchy is look to the elders, respect of the wise old man. Todays youth couldn't give 2 sh-ts, but they will be tested in life!
:???:

Sure you don't want to complain about the inhuman way we kill mosquitoes as well? :P

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:19 am

Or the inhumane way of cooking lobster? I know some chefs do not kill the lobster before throwing them into boiling water! Or Crabs for that matter! Have seen chefs and morons just tearing off the hard shell and then chopping the end of the legs off before frying them. Cruel.

Never been a fan of any shell fish so I can't comment if Chilli Crabs and Lobster Thermidor is worth all that.
Just me

DazzleBabe

GavinBrown

Postby GavinBrown » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 1:11 pm

Plavt wrote:

Instantly.

Just a suggestion.

Sure they carry disease, and so do we. Does that mean we should torture? No. Oh, spare me the diatribe about babies and small children - you know exactly what my point is. Yes, rats should be eliminated from the premises of your home but they should not be killed in such an inhumane manner. Using a glue trap might just as well give them an opportunity to escape, thereby increasing the chances for children to come into contact with such things.

I'm advocating a less cruel way of killing here, so I don't see why you are bringing up children and disease hazards when we are getting rid of them anyway.

As for inhumanity let's hope you never visit a Korean restaraunt (look up some of their cooking methods).

Most modern Korean restaurants don't even do that anymore.

Do lobsters even feel pain? I thought it was scientifically proven that they do not, due to lacking pain receptors.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 1:39 pm

GavinBrown wrote:
Plavt wrote:

Instantly.

From your own linked NZ site.....

3.2.2.2 Electrocution

A number of devices have been developed that entice an animal into a box with a hole fashioned as a potential burrow, usually with the added incentive of bait. Once inside, the devices have a switch of some form that detects the presence of the animal causing an electric current to pass through a plate at the bottom of the box, electrocuting the animal.

Electrocution is likely to be a swift death. The "Rat Zapper 2000™", for example, produces a charge that lasts approximately two minutes, killing the animal. There are concerns, however, about the level of pain and distress occurring within this period. NAWAC is currently considering the use of such devices.

So now you are going to differentiate on the "duration and level" of distress? :roll:

Have you even seen a snapper trap used? Guess what, they normally sh*t & p*ss as well. So not too hygenic either. How about us using tactical nukes? course there's lots of collateral damage but the rats closest to ground zero won't feel a thing. But then again, after Hiroshima the first living things found at ground zero were rats and cockroaches. :lol:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 2:24 pm

GavinBrown wrote:
I'm advocating a less cruel way of killing here, so I don't see why you are bringing up children and disease hazards when we are getting rid of them anyway.

That should have been perfectly obvious, I think your just some 'bod' who like to rant and rant fot the sake of it! This discussion is obviously a waste of time.

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 2:44 pm

Plavt wrote:I think your just some 'bod' who like to rant and rant fot the sake of it! This discussion is obviously a waste of time.

Charming… This is a discussion board which ranks extremely high on Google, and is name dropped in many Singapore publications… You can’t have its Mods name calling, and capping debate due to a difference of opinions – that’s detrimental to the wealth of information that this site is…

Come on, lets all play nicely…

:D

Return to “General Discussions”