Singapore Expats Forum

2012, The Dream Ticket to slay Obama

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 10:55 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Too bad the shoe thrower is in prison. Are there any volunteers?

I 'spose I could volunteer. How long would they keep me in prison in HK?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:39 am

Can't she see Hong Kong from her toilet window? Or is she mixing up Honkers with Yonkers?

'nuff said Image

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:05 am

Vaucluse wrote:Can't she see Hong Kong from her toilet window? Or is she mixing up Honkers with Yonkers?

She might could see Cow Loon.

chip

Postby chip » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 7:32 pm

"I was at first strongly prompted to write a diatribe but I will leave it at this: Only a moron could actually think that Palin could be any kind of President. She would be a complete travesty. As Vaucluse noted... what's you smokin'?"

Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit. I said she was mediocre but probably better than Obama, who has put the US on the fast track to record deficits and inevitably hyper inflation, higher interest rates and an eroded dollar.

Based on her track record in Alaska, which hasn't been that bad by the usual metrics, she likely wouldn't have been as awful as Obama. Not good, but not worse than the current president.

Too many people confuse eloquence with intelligence. Obama isn't as clever as he speaks, and Palin is likely smarter than she sounds.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 8:24 pm

chip wrote:
Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

I fail to see how you could see any comprehension problems with SE's reply . . . quite succinct and apt.

chip wrote:Too many people confuse eloquence with intelligence.

Correct, and Palin has neither but at least you get away with 50% to a degree

'nuff said Image

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 8:44 pm

chip wrote:I said she was mediocre but probably better than Obama,

Again, only a maroon could make this kind of statement. There is no question that Palin is mediocre (or much worse) and to say that she is better than Obama is to suggest that Obama is less than mediocre, which is plain nonsense, no way around it.

Consider:

Palin, mostly unread, Obama, very well read, and published two best selling books as well.

Palin, virtually ignorant of foreign policy issues, didn't even know what the Bush doctrine was, Obama, well versed in all sorts of foreign policy issues, often able to speak with more depth than the sitting president at the time.

Palin, a lying, ambitious demagogue willing to say and do anything to be VP... "pallin' around with terroists" and basically inciting crowd violence, saying nothing when shouts of 'Kill Obama' were heard, sticking her kids in front on TV while bemoaning the coverage, Obama, a considered man who never rose to the attacks and stuck to the issues, even when McCain tried to pull the same crap in the last debate.

You like to blame Obama for the current situation but conveniently leave out a large number of salient facts, a few of which I shall enumerate here.

a) It was Bush who drove the national debt and yearly deficit spending to its highest levels ever long before Obama came along. Half of the 'Obama' deficit belongs to Bush. The continued drag of the Iraqi war belongs to Bush

b) It was Bush and is 'all regulation is bad' policies that resulted in the absolute god awful financial mess we are in. Every economist, with just a few exceptions, supports stimulus spending and agrees that without it we would have a depression, not a serious recession. But, brain dead, right wing Republicans can't seem to grasp this, so they attack the solution as being a problem.

c) You proudly note that the US Constitution can only be amended by Congress but this is a poor diversion from the fact that Bush ignored and perverted constitutional provisions... domestic spying and wiretaps, many which were illegal, extraordinary rendition and torture, suspension of habeus corpus, illegal seizure of bank records without notification... the list goes on and on. Palin subscribes to this crap.

My knee jerk reaction to Palin is not intellectual, it is visceral... she would be holy-geezuz-shit dangerous if she were in power... a pandering demagogue, too stupid to think clearly, and too uneducated to understand the depth of the decisions she had to make... shit, she couldn't handle Katie Couric... how about Vladimir Putin? Listen, this is the dumb broad that got scammed by a couple of radio show hosts making out that they were the president of France... she bought it hook, line and sinker... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbEwKcs-7Hc

But once I get over my visceral reaction I do apply my intellect, and what it finds is a vacuous, ambitious, morally and ethically deficient woman who cares more for herself than anything else. Her track record, where one exists is poor, her capacity for independent thought and planning non-existent.

Alaska, like her nomination to the VP, was a fluke... and now that poor economic conditions have taken the veneer off the Alaskan economy, it looks rather rotted underneath.

But hey, I give you credit... at least you use 'probably' when stating that Palin is better than Obama (courage of belief?) and she 'likely' would not have been as bad. Thank god the situation hasn't arisen where I could bet against that.

So, yes, reading comprehension is my strong point. With the exception of 'probably' you did say Palin would be a better president. I responded by saying that she would completely fail. Had McCain won and croaked, I think Palin would have folded by now... just like she folded out of Alaska.

Cheers.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 9:36 pm

chip wrote:
Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

I fail to see how you could see any comprehension problems with SE's reply . . . quite succinct and apt.

chip wrote:Too many people confuse eloquence with intelligence.

Correct, and Palin has neither but at least you get away with 50% to a degree

'nuff said Image

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 7:10 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: As Vaucluse noted... what's you smokin'?

And why aren't you sharing? :D

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 8:35 pm

nakatago wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: As Vaucluse noted... what's you smokin'?

And why aren't you sharing? :D

Because I am now in Malaysia and would get my lips lobbed off . . .

(Hey, why was my pot repeated . . . it essentially said ten same as SE's post . . . except in 10 words, not 1000)

'nuff said Image

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 10 Sep 2009 8:39 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Can't she see Hong Kong from her toilet window? Or is she mixing up Honkers with Yonkers?

(in slackjawed yokel voice...)

"HEY MAAWR; I KID SEE MAH HOUSE FROM UP HERE!"

The Remittance Man

Postby The Remittance Man » Fri, 25 Sep 2009 1:32 pm

road.not.taken wrote:My husband is on record, if Palin is elected in 2012, he'll renounce his US citizenship. :roll:

He's not the only one. But if even the mainstream US media's usual softsoap treatment couldn't make her look palatable last year, that's not going to change by 2012. In fact, I think Obama's ace in the hole may well be that nearly all the likely Republican candidates are right-wing nutjobs like Palin. Of course, that's also a good reason for him to stop governing from the mushy middle and be a real leader, but I'm increasingly pessimistic about that.
I pay FIVE DOLLARS for something and then I LOSE it!