Singapore Expats

Employment Pass Issues. Please advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dhingraneha_nd

Post by dhingraneha_nd » Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:11 am

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I was initially offered the position of "Tender Administrator" but the EP online system has limited categories for job positions, they keyed in "Administrative coordinator" which they thought was the closest match. However, when they made an appeal they mentioned the position as Tender Administrator again and highlighted how much they want me as they have spent a lot of resources on training me during my internship in the past 1 year and also they have had trouble finding a local for the same position because I have to liaise with the Indian market (being an Indian I was more suitable for this).

But as it turns out the appeal was rejected and now they are willing to apply EP for me with $3k.

My question is would it be ok for them to again key in the same role (Administrative coordinator) again?
Is MOM going to believe that suddenly the salary has shot to 3k from 1.8?

Btw, my company is a Norwegian Oilfield services company having a global presence. And I am a fresh grad.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:03 pm

Yeah, they'll believe it. They know that the companies under pay foreign nationals from S. Asian countries. About the only time it doesn't happen is if the S. Asian national has already worked in places like Aust, UK or US. Then the companies know that they can't BS the guy.

As far as the EP goes, I'm not too sure that the title has all that much bearing on it but it might be wise to use the term that was acceptable initially "Administrative coordinator" when filing for the EP. It shouldn't make any difference that you are being paid substantially more but it might cause eyebrows to be raised and they might look at the company to ensure nobody is pulling a fast one in claiming to pay one thing and actually paying another.

As long as there is no hanky-panky going on you should be okay. As there are no quota restriction on EP holder like S & WPs, maybe it will go through okay.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dhingraneha_nd

Post by dhingraneha_nd » Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:20 pm

thanks a lot for ur help..much appreciated..wish me luck :)

work411

Post by work411 » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 3:44 pm

Okay, great! At least now I'm armed with information when I come across HR next time and in the event they suggest something like altering my title on the contract!!

Oh and just on the side, I forgot to mention that the error which was made on my application (of filling out relevant number of wrk exp as "0") had affected the process- It had not led to the rejected, but it did have the Ministry ask me all sorts of documentation pertaining to my training etc, prolonging everything. I now know, that it was b/c they thought since I had no relevant wrk exp they were trying to see if any training etc in college could account for that!!

:D
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Contract can have what ever on it. It's just that MOM has pre-inserted 'codes' for job titles and whenever someone gets creative it caused a bounce. They have a list of "suitable" occupations to insert for most any given industry that they are supposed to use. Apparently, your HR didn't and decided to get creative when they shouldn't have.

Rarely does the contract title or even the title on your business card have any real relationship to the job that you really do, truth be known.

sms

NB: with me, they can call me anything they want, so long as they put the bread in my pocket! :wink: Call me anything but late for dinner! :lol:

cho555

Post by cho555 » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:54 am

Hi, congratulation work411! that's such a gooooood news..
really glad to hear it :)

In my case, i got another offer from another company, they willing to apply new EP application for me, so i talked to the first company and asked them to cancel the appeal process.

So now im in my waiting period again..
Wish me luck please! Hehe.. :D

pm1901

Post by pm1901 » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:27 pm

great job sms

:)

dhingraneha_nd

Post by dhingraneha_nd » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 7:38 pm

Hi

My company applied for my EP today but quoted my salary as $ 2600.

It was rejected immediately .

Although initially i was told that they would apply with $3000 salary but i don't know what changed their mind.

Rejection reason given was that my degree is not from a recognized university and do not have enough experience.

Although , in the drop down box for list of colleges in online application mu university name was mentioned.

I am an MBA from Uttar Pradesh Technical University, Affiliating college .
My bachelors was BCA from Kurukshetra University , Affiliating college.
I have a post graduate diploma in Finance from SIM , Singapore.

I do not think my company is willing to take any more actions.

Is there anything that i can do like talk to MOM or something ?

Is there any chance of getting it approved with above qualification and salary with just 11 months of experience with the same company ?

Kindly advice.

Regards

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:51 pm

dhingraneha_nd,

It sounds like you got hit with a double whammy. First the form was filled out incorrectly, and was rejected and now, having gotten past the employer information, you are being rejected for you own qualifications. This one is a bit more difficult as it wouldn't change anything even with a new employer applying.

The online calculator does not give you the full list and is just a general guideline. It's states on there that is "ONLY a Guideline and not a Guarantee". The reason for this is, that while your uni might well have been listed, it's doesn't mean your degree is one of the approved ones. I know there is at least one Uni in the UK for instance, that is on the list, but in reality ONLY ONE DEGREE in the university is qualified. This may well be the same scenario you are facing, as you indicated, you were disqualified, not for salary, employer reasoning or sufficient number of locals, but was rejected for academic reasons. Appealing, in this case is not going to do any good unless you have further NEW documentation to provide and not just pleading for reconsideration.

It's rough, but it's the best I can tell you. But you can always appeal and hope. Nothing stopping you.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dhingraneha_nd

Post by dhingraneha_nd » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:29 pm

I am not sure because this was one of the probable reasons that was given by an officer at MOM whom i spoke on phone just to enquire.

My college is AICTE approved (All India Council for Technical Education ) and is like a well established college since last 18 years.

Moreover doesn't the local PG diploma count at all ?

Could it be that the overall rating (including salary, experience and qualification ) is the reason for rejection which could be in a way compensated by a higher salary?

Have there been more cases that you came across where the self assessment tool accepts to give an EP but MOM rejects the application ?

I wanted to go to MOM tomorrow and talk to the officer about it .

I really need help at this point of time and your advice counts a lot to me.

thanks for all your replies.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 7:04 am

After re-reading your posts, I find the fact that the HR officer mentioned it could be your qualifications or your experience, telling.

Considering that you have a PG Diploma from SIM, I would have though it might be worth some consideration, but, frankly, your telling me you have less than a year's worth of relevant experience is more than likely the primary reason for the rejection. There are probably lots of people with the necessary experience and qualifications for the job description with citizenship or PR. Normally you would have to have around 2 years of relevant experience but at this point there are so many wholes in your narrative, that probably a trip down to MOM might not be a bad idea. It could be something a simple as a mis-understanding like the other poster. But be sure, when you go, that you have all of your relevant documents with you to back up your story.

Just because your education is recognized in India, doesn't mean it's recognized by Singapore. This country has it's own vetting system. It's just like the US, they have about a dozen certification bodies, some are more recognized than others. Most don't count for anything at all though.

Good luck.

dhingraneha_nd

Post by dhingraneha_nd » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 7:20 am

Thanks SMS .

Wish me luck .

I am going to MOM today.

Really need this job and hence blessings and wishes.

dhingraneha_nd

Post by dhingraneha_nd » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:46 pm

Hi!

I went to MOM yesterday and they told me that they did not receive documents supporting my qualifications in the appeal that my employer made.

The officer suggested to submit the documents of my qualifications with contract from my employer and supporting document to show why am I important to me.

My Boss wanted to talk to the officer to know and he asked me to find out .

Today we went to MOM with all appeal documents but the queue was so long that we had to come back .

Although my boss said we would go again on Monday to talk to the officer in charge.

I do not know what is going to be the result but I wana try my best for it .

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Aug 2009 12:56 am

At least they are willing to talk. That usually a fairly good sign. Good Luck.

dhingraneha_nd

Post by dhingraneha_nd » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 1:01 pm

Dear SMS

I went to MOM today with my Boss.

The officer was polite and my boss tried to tell him everything in a nice way .

He said he will try his best and will reply soon .

My boss even highlighted the urgency .

Now the second problem is that my Visit visa which i got on surrendering my student's Pass was just for 1 month and expiring on 6th of September .

I called up ICA and asked them if i leave a country and come back in with someone sponsoring my social visit pass would it do ?

They replied I have to stay out of country for minimum 3 days and then only can come back in .

I do not want to stay away for such a long time as I initially thought of just going to Indonesia in the morning and come back evening .

Is there any way by which I don't have to go out or if I have to could only be 1 day or so ?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 1:06 pm

Why don't you pop to the ICA and ask for an extension? :?