Singapore Expats

Baby born in Singapore to a Canadian parent

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
kn1ghtx

Baby born in Singapore to a Canadian parent

Post by kn1ghtx » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:46 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a first generation naturalized Canadian Citizen. My baby was just born here in SG.

anyone knows the procedure to claim my baby's Canadian Citizen, and thus his passport? any form to use, or whatever?

I checked the Canadian High Comm website in SG, but most of the info is about immigration and stuff...

please help
Thanks

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Baby born in Singapore to a Canadian parent

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:44 am

kn1ghtx wrote:Hi guys,

I'm a first generation naturalized Canadian Citizen. My baby was just born here in SG.

anyone knows the procedure to claim my baby's Canadian Citizen, and thus his passport? any form to use, or whatever?

I checked the Canadian High Comm website in SG, but most of the info is about immigration and stuff...

please help
Thanks

A first generation naturalised Canadian?
What does that mean? Are you Singaporean or Canadian? Were you Canadian when your child was born?

How about instead of checking the Canadian High Comm website you actually call them . . . The internet is NOT the be all and end all of information.

Of course the High Comm is the place to go . . . and I mean physically go to with the birth cert, your proof of citizenship and the rest . . . fill out some forms and wait for the procedure to take its course.

:roll:

'nuff said Image

kn1ghtx

Post by kn1ghtx » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 1:20 pm

you can omit the "first gen" if that confused you...

anyway, just went to the high comm... my goodness, it could take up to 15 months just to get my baby's citizenship cert!!!!!!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 8:13 pm

you can omit the "first gen" if that confused you...
Well, yes as it doesn't make sense.

Anyway, you went to the source and got your answer. Good for you, hope it doesn't take the full 15 months.

{And the Aussies can do it in one week!!!! Yahoooooooooooooo! The passport took a few days longer.

Finally something we can do well! }

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:57 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Finally something we can do well! }
Awwww, don't feel too bad V., you beat us Yanks in the fat department as well! :P

I also understand you have now beat us in the projectile vomiting category as well! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 4:08 am

Congrats kn1ghtx,

The high commission will guide you through it. The process is quite lengthy but it is not that difficult.

One thing to note, in April this year the Canadian citizenship law has changed and only the first generation of Canadians born overseas will be eligible for Citizenship. This means if your child has a child himself and that child is born outside Canada as well, the child will not have Canadian Citizenship. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... -faq03.asp)

Please note the below as well, I can't see anything regarding this on the CIC web page any more so I am not sure if this still applies with the new law now.
http://www.americanlaw.com/cdncitabrd.html wrote:Retention Requirements for Second Generation Applicants born after February 14, 1977

A retention requirement currently exists for second generation children whose Canadian parent was also born abroad. According to Section 8 of the Current Act, if a person is born outside Canada after February 14, 1977 and is a Canadian citizen by reason that, at the time of his/her birth, one of his/her parents was also a Canadian citizen by virtue of Section 3(1)(b) or 3(1)(e), the person will cease to be a Canadian citizen upon attaining twenty-eight years of age, unless that person:

Makes an application to retain citizenship; and
Registers as a Canadian citizen and either resides in Canada for a period of at least one year immediately preceding the date of the application or establishes a substantial connection with Canada.
"Substantial connection" is defined in the regulations as follows:

The person has been employed, for at least two of the four years immediately preceding the date of his application, in the public service of Canada or of a province or as a member of the Canadian forces or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or as a Canadian representative of the United Nations or one of its affiliated agencies; or
The person has an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada, of Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship, determined in accordance with the criteria set out in the regulations and, since attaining the age of fourteen years of age, has spent more than one year in Canada with a parent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, or grandparent or in attendance at a recognized secondary or post-secondary educational institution.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 8:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Finally something we can do well! }
Awwww, don't feel too bad V., you beat us Yanks in the fat department as well! :P

I also understand you have now beat us in the projectile vomiting category as well! :cool:
We try to excel in all that is worthwhile doing, SMS . . . we're like that. :cool:

'nuff said Image

kn1ghtx

Post by kn1ghtx » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:16 am

that law is somewhat confusing...

so does that mean my baby, at 28 yrs old, will have to apply to retent his Canadian citizenship? what if I apply for his Canadian citizenship cert now? does he still have to apply to retent the citizenship later?

myself was not born in Canada, but was naturalized in Canada (applied PR in Canada, then applied citizenship there, and granted). then i got a job opp. here in SG, so I relocated here. so my baby is first gen to be born abroad to a Canadian parent. I'm sure, my baby can get his Canadian citizenship cert.

but does he still have to apply to retent it at age 28?

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 1:32 am

kn1ghtx wrote:that law is somewhat confusing...

so does that mean my baby, at 28 yrs old, will have to apply to retent his Canadian citizenship? what if I apply for his Canadian citizenship cert now? does he still have to apply to retent the citizenship later?

myself was not born in Canada, but was naturalized in Canada (applied PR in Canada, then applied citizenship there, and granted). then i got a job opp. here in SG, so I relocated here. so my baby is first gen to be born abroad to a Canadian parent. I'm sure, my baby can get his Canadian citizenship cert.

but does he still have to apply to retent it at age 28?
Sorry, I didn't want to confuse you there. This law refers to your baby's offspring (the next generation, ie. your grandchild). If your baby's child is born outside Canada as well this law will apply to your grandchild (your baby's baby).

This happened to a friend of mine in Singapore (he was an overseas born Canadian and his dad was an overseas born Canadian as well), and he had to go back to Canada for a year in order to retent.

Regarding your own child I am not sure. You are Canadian (but naturalised) and you were born outside Canada, so from what I read this still applies to your own child as well. But to make sure, you should check with the High Commission in order to be sure. I don't have this problem as I was born in Canada, so never had to go through it myself.