Singapore Expats

How is singapore IT market?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
yshashidhar

How is singapore IT market?

Post by yshashidhar » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 8:41 pm

hi

I am a software engineer working for MNC in India. I am now in UK from over 1-year and I see I am eligible for EP pass.
I would like to know the current market situation in Singapore to get a IT job. Please could any one help me to estimate this, those who are in searching please share your experience.

Thank you so much in advance for your reply.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 8:46 pm

And what makes you think you are eligible for a EP?

yshashidhar

Post by yshashidhar » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 8:50 pm

I have visited MOM's site recently, what I understand is I can take EP Certificate (kind of eligibility certificate) now. There after I need to apply for 1-year visa for search in Singapore.
Once I get job/sponsor, I can apply for EP Visa.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 8:58 pm

I'm afraid you are slightly wrong

What I believe you are referring to an EPEC which will allow you to apply for a 1 year social visitor's pass which lets you look for work. Even if you get a job offer, the EPEC no way guarantees you will get an EP, and it's the Company that applies for the EP, not you.

yshashidhar

Post by yshashidhar » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks for the reply saint.

I am quite interested to work in Singapore, right now I am earning over 4500 SD in London. I can submit my payslips from past one year, wherever applicable.

Can you suggest/redirect to the information on eligible Visa types to search for IT jobs in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:06 pm

yshashidhar wrote:
Can you suggest/redirect to the information on eligible Visa types to search for IT jobs in Singapore?
Anybody have a clue in hades what the devil this guy just wrote? Can somebody decipher/translate into normal English what he is asking? :???:

Saint? Plavt? LGM? Any of you guys got a clue?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yshashidhar

Post by yshashidhar » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:19 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple, sorry for my bad English if you don't understand.

I was just curious to know, what VISA I need to apply to come Singapore and for searching job there.

I hope I am clear now...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:42 pm

You can come on a EPEC, normal tourist visa, PEP if you qualify. See the MOM site for visa details

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Re: How is singapore IT market?

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:49 pm

yshashidhar wrote:hi

I am a software engineer working for MNC in India. I am now in UK from over 1-year and I see I am eligible for EP pass.
I would like to know the current market situation in Singapore to get a IT job. Please could any one help me to estimate this, those who are in searching please share your experience.

Thank you so much in advance for your reply.
The market for software engineers might not be as good since the skills you possess might be easily available in the local market. Even if something does turn up the pay might not warrant or be an incentive enough to warrant a move and completely start over from scratch.

I would recommend you build some core competencies (technical / domain ) and look into moving into Subject Matter Expert or advisory / consulting roles of some sort.

These would then definetly help you land something in Singapore.

Good luck!