Singapore Expats Forum

xzzz

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Tennessean Abroad

xzzz

Postby Tennessean Abroad » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 8:06 pm

zzz
Last edited by Tennessean Abroad on Thu, 17 May 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 9:14 pm

It is true that you won't have any issues on the American side of things.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 9:20 pm

I believe you need to Speak, Read and Write French to a good std as well.
Zeenit

Tennessean Abroad

Postby Tennessean Abroad » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 9:43 pm

zzz
Last edited by Tennessean Abroad on Thu, 17 May 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tennessean Abroad

Postby Tennessean Abroad » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 9:45 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:It is true that you won't have any issues on the American side of things.

American citizens do not renounce their citizenship when marrying French citizens, so says the American and French Embassy. I love how popular this misconception is!

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:58 pm

Plavt wrote:
Tennessean Abroad wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:It is true that you won't have any issues on the American side of things.

American citizens do not renounce their citizenship when marrying French citizens, so says the American and French Embassy. I love how popular this misconception is!

I think you may have misunderstood Strong Eagle's post; he was not saying or implying you do, just confirming what you appeared to be in doubt about.

You asked; 'Just wanted to know if anyone has gone through the process of getting French citizenship while in Singapore?'
Although you didn't say why so it seemed the rest of your posts were questions. Easy misunderstanding, still no damage done.

Tennessean Abroad

Postby Tennessean Abroad » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 2:06 am

Good to know! I read it the wrong way. Thanks for the clarification!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 8:15 am

Plavt wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Tennessean Abroad wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood Strong Eagle's post; he was not saying or implying you do, just confirming what you appeared to be in doubt about.

You asked; 'Just wanted to know if anyone has gone through the process of getting French citizenship while in Singapore?'
Although you didn't say why so it seemed the rest of your posts were questions. Easy misunderstanding, still no damage done.

Maybe I should have said it in French! Plavt is correct. My link was evidence that you have no issues on the US side of things.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 9:21 am

Had a friend take up French and drop Aussie . . . no problems at all for him.

'nuff said Image

Tennessean Abroad

Postby Tennessean Abroad » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 4:17 pm

The French Embassy here in Singapore just sent me the list of the paperwork I need to produce and confirmed I will have dual nationality. I just have to get everything translated into French now. Am soooo happy about getting a French passport!

globalguillaume

Postby globalguillaume » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 5:44 pm

Welcome among us :-)
I hope you can drive like shit while insulting the other drivers, eat a lot of baguette, love smelly cheese and foie gras !

Now the whole European zone is free entrance for you !

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: French Citizenship After Four Years of Marriage

Postby ksl » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 1:33 pm

Tennessean Abroad wrote:Just wanted to know if anyone has gone through the process of getting French citizenship while in Singapore. I am an American citizen who has been married to a French citizen for 4 years and under French law I am entitled to get French citizenship now.

-I don't have to renounce my American nationality. I am certain.
-I was married in France so I have a Livre de Famille
-You can only acquire French nationality through marriage once you have been married to a French citizen for 4 years (my four year wedding anniversary is this Thursday)

Has anyone else gone through this process?
That surprises me very much!

I thought To become a Frech Citizen you must reside inside France for that period of time 4 years to qualify. You may have married there and lived there longer than the 4 years? In which case you automatically have that right.

The UK is very similar with 3 years marriage but the host spouse must remain 3 years in UK. Even stricter now, with language skills I imagined France was the same, otherwise the whole Country will be over run by illegal immigrants marrying the first French person they meet!! Although congratulations if its true each Country in Europe have their own laws! I know I married in Denmark and have been married 9 years and it cannot be done that I know of without the residing in the host Country for the stipulated time period.

I wonder what happens in Singapore, :lol: Do we all have to take the Singlish test? :oops: I would fail without a doubt.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 2:08 pm

Yeah I thought as well you would require to meet residency requirements to be naturalised but if the embassy confirmed it then c'est la vie. Well, the French... they could do us all a favour and take Quebec back and then put a moat on the border to Canada. :wink:

howdav

Re: French Citizenship After Four Years of Marriage

Postby howdav » Sat, 05 Sep 2009 11:37 pm

hope France wins tonite....

Return to “General Discussions”