Singapore Expats Forum

What happen to my HDB if I lose my SPR status?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tin123

What happen to my HDB if I lose my SPR status?

Postby tin123 » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:45 am

I'm currently holding PR status and employed in Singapore with my hubby. We've purchased HDB flat last year. Due to re-location work, we need to move out of Singapore for few years. However our Re-entry permit/REP will be expired by next year and we understand that we can't keep our PR status if we are not employed during REP renewal.
We wish to keep our PR status as well as our HDB property in the event we will come back to singapore again.
Anybody can advise me option how to retain our PR status and HDB while away from Singapore? What will happen to our HDB if we lost the PR status?
Thanks for advice

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 1:59 pm

I am not sure what the answer to your question is but I can offer you a solution so you won't lose your flat or your right to stay. One of you can take up citizenship if you have been in Singapore for long enough. So you can still go back to your home country through your partner and can always come back to Singapore through the citizenship while your partner can maintain his PR status as the spouse of a Singaporean even if you are living outside Singapore. That way you also get to keep your HDB flat.

I know this is would be a major step but it is a possible solution. You can check whether you are eligible for citizenship here.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 2:12 pm

So you want to keep your PR so you can come and go from Singapore when it suits you, keep your low cost Government subsidised HDB?

You might want to find out what PR stands for and that will answer all your questions.

tin123

Postby tin123 » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 2:55 pm

We did not want to sell the flat now as we'll incur huge lost as we purchased the flat during peak price last year.
We wish to return singapore in another 2 yrs, unfortunately the REP is going to expire next year while we're still overseas. REP can't be renewed without employment letter from singapore company.
Will HDB take back the flat if they rcvd update of our REP expiry? What will happen if we let the REP expired while still in the possesion of the flat?
Anyone experience this..