Singapore Expats

How difficult to get PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Thu, 26 Nov 2009 6:46 pm

Almost 4months now and ICA hasnt repplied me on my PR application....Please can someone tell me weather this is a good sign that i might be approved or not.Thanking you for your warm responses

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 2:05 pm

ksl wrote:
uc wrote:Thanks ksl for your reply.....I have gotten quite number of jobs but they all demand for PRs and Citizens.Even most of them asked me to join once my pR is ready.

Based on my previous question,i was tryin to know what"s my chances of getting the PR.We have been married since march 2009,and i have stayed here for 2years now.Had my MBA doing this period...My bachelors degree was in my country while MBA in singapore.

Please do critically analyse my chances for me.Thanking you for your anticipated response.
I think you have a 98% chance to get PR through your wife providing she is earning over 2500$ a month, which I believe maybe a requirement.

However I understand your PR would be tied to your wife, who sponsors it, so if you divorce, i'm under the impression that PR status will be withdrawn. So it's much better if you can secure an EP or S pass in your own name. Why will these employers not apply for an EP or S pass for you?

You should get your wife to set up a company then employ you, being a PR she doesn't have to pay the 50K, that MOM have set. With an MBA in your wifes Company, it shouldn't be too difficult to get EP if you do not get the PR status that is. Just don't panick too much, the stress isn't worth it, ICA will continue to give you LTVP until you secure something I am quite sure.
I just called ica office only for me to hear that my PR application has been rejected.But i met all their reqiremeents,my wife is earnin above 3k and i have an MBA cert from Singapore too.I really don't know why they rejected me...Now i am hoping that my LTSVP will be renewed for me next year.So should i do now folks?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 2:39 pm

Have you actually received the rejection letter? It may well tell you to apply again in 6 months or 2 years. So before you go off half-cocked, you need to actually see what the letter contains. Or did the officer read the contents of the letter to you? Did the officer indicate that you would receive a letter? When? Until you are notified officially, you really cannot make plans yet. I know it's rough but as far as what to do? There always a return to your home country if you are too unhappy.

My advice? If you "really" want "Permanent Residence". Stay at your job, wait the prescribed period of time and re-apply again (or appeal the current application - but unless you have something new and relevant to add that isn't going to do you much good). I was rejected initially, appealed and rejected, and two years later reapplied and was granted PR. That was around 16~17 years ago (after already living here for 11 years on other types of visas).

Guess it depends on if you want it or only are looking at the convenience of having it. It's those people that are causing the rest to have nightmares like you are experiencing. They are also the ones who are causing PR's to lose more and more subsidies as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 3:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Have you actually received the rejection letter? It may well tell you to apply again in 6 months or 2 years. So before you go off half-cocked, you need to actually see what the letter contains. Or did the officer read the contents of the letter to you? Did the officer indicate that you would receive a letter? When? Until you are notified officially, you really cannot make plans yet. I know it's rough but as far as what to do? There always a return to your home country if you are too unhappy.

My advice? If you "really" want "Permanent Residence". Stay at your job, wait the prescribed period of time and re-apply again (or appeal the current application - but unless you have something new and relevant to add that isn't going to do you much good). I was rejected initially, appealed and rejected, and two years later reapplied and was granted PR. That was around 16~17 years ago (after already living here for 11 years on other types of visas).

Guess it depends on if you want it or only are looking at the convenience of having it. It's those people that are causing the rest to have nightmares like you are experiencing. They are also the ones who are causing PR's to lose more and more subsidies as well.
I am yet to receive an official letter..Until i receive it i cannt make a concrete plans now.But currently,i am on renewable 1yr Ltsvp which will expire in may 2010..Once i receive the letter,i do hope i can renew my ltsvp while waitin for my PR.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 3:37 pm

I'm very surprised they actually told you over the phone that your application had been rejected as they always do everything by the book and by official means, therefore by letter.

When I called the PR dept to query about my application all they said that the letter had been sent out notifying me of the decision.

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 3:58 pm

Saint wrote:I'm very surprised they actually told you over the phone that your application had been rejected as they always do everything by the book and by official means, therefore by letter.

When I called the PR dept to query about my application all they said that the letter had been sent out notifying me of the decision.
When you got your letter,what did it say Saint?Yes,they told me over the phone but asked me to wait for the rejection letter...So i am waiting for the letter.At worse,i can renew my LTSVP by next year and i hope they can renew it for me since they said its renewable.

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:53 pm

uc wrote:
ksl wrote:
uc wrote:Thanks ksl for your reply.....I have gotten quite number of jobs but they all demand for PRs and Citizens.Even most of them asked me to join once my pR is ready.

Based on my previous question,i was tryin to know what"s my chances of getting the PR.We have been married since march 2009,and i have stayed here for 2years now.Had my MBA doing this period...My bachelors degree was in my country while MBA in singapore.

Please do critically analyse my chances for me.Thanking you for your anticipated response.
I think you have a 98% chance to get PR through your wife providing she is earning over 2500$ a month, which I believe maybe a requirement.

However I understand your PR would be tied to your wife, who sponsors it, so if you divorce, i'm under the impression that PR status will be withdrawn. So it's much better if you can secure an EP or S pass in your own name. Why will these employers not apply for an EP or S pass for you?

You should get your wife to set up a company then employ you, being a PR she doesn't have to pay the 50K, that MOM have set. With an MBA in your wifes Company, it shouldn't be too difficult to get EP if you do not get the PR status that is. Just don't panick too much, the stress isn't worth it, ICA will continue to give you LTVP until you secure something I am quite sure.
I just called ica office only for me to hear that my PR application has been rejected.But i met all their reqiremeents,my wife is earnin above 3k and i have an MBA cert from Singapore too.I really don't know why they rejected me...Now i am hoping that my LTSVP will be renewed for me next year.So should i do now folks?
Not sure what you mean by 'met all their requirements'. You only met the eligibility criteria and that is being the spouse of a PR. How come you applied for an LTSVP and not of a DP? With a DP you can start working for the employer who told you to come back when you get a PR, though you might have to explain to them that DP holders can work with a Letter of Consent from MOM.

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 7:12 pm

xtasy010 wrote:
uc wrote:
ksl wrote: I think you have a 98% chance to get PR through your wife providing she is earning over 2500$ a month, which I believe maybe a requirement.

Not sure what you mean by 'met all their requirements'. You only met the eligibility criteria and that is being the spouse of a PR. How come you applied for an LTSVP and not of a DP? With a DP you can start working for the employer who told you to come back when you get a PR, though you might have to explain to them that DP holders can work with a Letter of Consent from MOM.
Hi,Dp is for Eps's spouses while LSTVP is for PR/Citizens' spouses.I did a solid findings on that.Well i guess i have to wait for their official letter before i can make a decision.But my renewable LSTVP will expire next yr may....

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Thu, 03 Dec 2009 9:52 pm

...DP is for EP's spouses...
Thats right, my mistake.

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:19 pm

Hi folks,i finally got the rejection letter but the letter did not specify when i should reapply.....This is what it says and it was addressed to my wife...............
I REFER TO YOUR APPLICATION FOR PERMANANENT RESIDENCE.

WE HAVE CONSIDERED YOUR APPLICATION CAREFULLY.WE REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR APPLICATION HAS NOT BEEN SUCCESSFUL.NEVERTHELESS,YOUR HUSBAND CAN CONTINUE TO RESIDE HERE ON HIS VALID LONG-TERM VISIT PASS..

Please folks,i need your advices on what you think because the letter didnt specify time for re application...unlike people to ask to reapply in 2yrs.Im confused now.Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:14 pm

As you have an MBA, but have not be able to secure employment even though the MBA is local I guess they figure you may well become a ward of the state. So, while they are willing to let you stay here on an LTSVP, this way, you cannot drain the coffers of the limited subsidies that PR get today, and legally cannot become a ward of the state.

I would guess that it probably would not be a good idea to reapply until you have a proper job and about a years worth of experience in a job relative to your MBA/degree.

Others may think differently, but that's my considered opinion.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As you have an MBA, but have not be able to secure employment even though the MBA is local I guess they figure you may well become a ward of the state. So, while they are willing to let you stay here on an LTSVP, this way, you cannot drain the coffers of the limited subsidies that PR get today, and legally cannot become a ward of the state.

I would guess that it probably would not be a good idea to reapply until you have a proper job and about a years worth of experience in a job relative to your MBA/degree.

sms
Please Moderator,could you be definitive with your opinion......Thank you.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 1:13 am

uc wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:As you have an MBA, but have not be able to secure employment even though the MBA is local I guess they figure you may well become a ward of the state. So, while they are willing to let you stay here on an LTSVP, this way, you cannot drain the coffers of the limited subsidies that PR get today, and legally cannot become a ward of the state.

sms
To be blunt, a MBA has become an 3rd rate qualification, not just in Singapore, but worldwide. As you have no previous notable employment record of a sizable income and experience, the ICA have decided you need to prove you can get a job on your own merits before granting you PR.

uc
Regular
Regular

Post by uc » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 2:10 am

Saint wrote:
uc wrote:

sms
To be blunt, a MBA has become an 3rd rate qualification, not just in Singapore, but worldwide. As you have no previous notable employment record of a sizable income and experience, the ICA have decided you need to prove you can get a job on your own merits before granting you PR.
Mr Saint,i have been getting jobs here,even when i was on my MBA program....my four Ep applications were denied and the officers admonished that it was not my fault rather because of reccession,that currently their concerns are on their citizens and PRs(says MOM officer)..So you can see that jobs are not the problem.The records are there bro.
Maybe they are testing my loyalty,,if i can wait or not....I resent your opinion on MBA qualication being 3rd rate qualification.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 05 Dec 2009 7:10 am

If it was a local MBA I would have to agree. (well not quite, but just a hair above 3rd rate). You don't have a job yet as far as I can see by your posts thus far. Saying you have had job offers is not the same as having a job. Part of the process is getting a job offer from a company that can support the necessity of hiring a greenhorn MBA without experience. A degree, without any experience, is just a piece of paper. A Masters is even worse if you don't have any experience to back up the MBA. That just says you can do academics. Does not indicate how effective you actually are in the workplace. Until you can demonstrate that, I'm afraid ICA's assessment is correct.

Is that detailed enough! See, that is what I mean, you have the paper, but it doesn't make you bright enough to reason out something that simple. You need experience rather than railing at those who give you answers that you don't want to hear. Probably your best bet is to return home.