Singapore Expats Forum

How difficult to get PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pacer0928

Postby pacer0928 » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:11 pm

IronMac wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:IronMac,

We've been getting Civil Engineers with one or two years experience up from Oz for a number of years now. With the right degree in certain industries and a year or two experience. It's always possible. Additionally, locals might be a little adverse to joining start-ups, especially in the asset management fields at the moment.

I don't believe the OP indicated how much or how little experience he had but if he's 23 he could possibly have two years of experience if he went straight into Uni out of HS and included attachments. He possibly realizes that sometimes the way to get what you want (international exposure) is easiest when you give somebody an offer that they find hard to resist. (salary requirements) This is what a lot of those young Oz Civils are doing. They come up here with 1 or 2 years experience, slog around in the mud on local salaries, staying maybe 4 to a condo and working for what is actually local starting salaries with maybe some shared housing allowance (the local engineers don't want to be site engineers as they only want to wear white shirts and ties and work in aircon offices as project engineers). Then they go home with 2 years of international experience and four or five years of total experience and command a 50% premium over the rest who stayed in Oz without going overseas. Makes good business sense.

It also makes good business sense for Singapore as well as if they are young enough, they may well want to settle down here as they will not have lots of commitments in their home countries.

Guess only the OP can tell us. :wink:

True, I'm just amazed that he managed to get a job over Singaporeans!

Wifey says that he must have been one smooth talker...

I worked under the CIO of Unity Capital previously during my Internship here back in 2007 in UBS when he was the Executive Director of Wealth Management Research Asia and alike the above poster said, have experience in various fields of finance having interned in major institutions such as Citi & Bank of Montreal.

I probably would not have been able to land the job in normal situations in this economic climate you are correct, but my previous work paid off I suppose.

In response to Sunday Morning Staple, you pretty much read my mind. Couldn't find a decent job in finance back in the States so had to explore my options. This could prove to be invaluable in the long run as well as I will have additional international exposure on my resume.

In response to Sierra, I am just exploring my options of becoming a PR, not in that much of a rush! However, I'm thinking in the future when tax becomes a larger issue, the lower income/cap gains etc. could play a big role in personal wealth down the road.

winger7
Regular
Regular

Postby winger7 » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:21 pm

Good point SMS, the international exposure is exactly what I've been rating myself upon, although I've not really gotten any offers, but I did get feedback from certain companies. Is it also true that the Singaporean government favours certain nationalities into the country over others? Say, developed versus developing countries? That is what I heard, and given how I have Canadian and HK citizenship...and where I was raised and my international exposure, surely that must be a plus! Work experience-wise I will have more than 2 years by next summer. :cool:

tatuanui

Postby tatuanui » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:40 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Hello, why not put some of those analytical skills to work and try the SEARCH function... you know... maybe with the keyword 'PR'?

I tried that and got nothing but this...

"No topics or posts met your search criteria"

I am trying to find out what the advantages of applying for PR are i.e. why would I do it?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:59 pm

Just go ahead and try it once you got six months's worth of payslips. Your background seems colorful enough that you got hired in these times; maybe ICA will see it the same way.

The worst that could happen is you get denied and told to try two years later. :shock:

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:55 pm

tatuanui wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Hello, why not put some of those analytical skills to work and try the SEARCH function... you know... maybe with the keyword 'PR'?

I tried that and got nothing but this...

"No topics or posts met your search criteria"

I am trying to find out what the advantages of applying for PR are i.e. why would I do it?

Unfortunately SE needs to eat a big slice of humble pie as the majority of forum search functions aren't capable of 2 letter searches like "PR" the search string is too short. "PR application" and you are fine and come up with many results! This is when using the search function underneath the "profile" option. If you use the other big box orange search option, this will work as it's a google search.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:15 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:PR's are being pretty much handed out to the "right" people from what we have seen of our friends here, and indeed ourselves. It would appear froma perfunctory analysis, if you have had P1 for 12 months and an obviously high salary, plus put the right "words" down on the form, then it won't be an issue.

Mr P - It doesn't seem that way. I come up as "not qualifing" on the SG MOM website. I think with the downturn the govt is holding back a little. I didn't test it previously, so can't say if anything has changed.

uc
Regular
Regular

Hi

Postby uc » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 4:04 am

Please can someone help me with good ideas and admonishments. I currently applied for my PR under my wife's sponsorship.And my wife is a PR for 5years plus now and she's from shanghai,china..She's currently working with Ministry of eduacation as a teacher and she's a degree holder,while myself is a fresh MBA holder from one the private universities here in singapore.
She applied for my LTSVP and 1year was approved within 10days.And after 3months on on the ltvsp,we applied my PR which is 2months plus old now.Still waiting for reply from ica.

Please,what are my chances of getting approval?Do i have good chances?

Thank you...and also im from Africa
N/b,my wife also applied for her citizenship.....

she came to singapore in 2000 on EP with MOE until 2004 when she got her PR...She's been teaching for 8years now

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Hi

Postby ksl » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 10:16 am

uc wrote:Please can someone help me with good ideas and admonishments. I currently applied for my PR under my wife's sponsorship.And my wife is a PR for 5years plus now and she's from shanghai,china..She's currently working with Ministry of eduacation as a teacher and she's a degree holder,while myself is a fresh MBA holder from one the private universities here in singapore.
She applied for my LTSVP and 1year was approved within 10days.And after 3months on on the ltvsp,we applied my PR which is 2months plus old now.Still waiting for reply from ica.

Please,what are my chances of getting approval?Do i have good chances?

Thank you...and also im from Africa
N/b,my wife also applied for her citizenship.....

she came to singapore in 2000 on EP with MOE until 2004 when she got her PR...She's been teaching for 8years now

I guess they also take into consideration how long you have been married, you know the marriage for convenience route to PR, which many also try. Though you can apply for EP or S if you find a job and someone willing to take you on, your own merits. Your wife having PR will make the process a little easier for you. LTVP cannot work as you must know!

uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:45 am

Thanks ksl for your reply.....I have gotten quite number of jobs but they all demand for PRs and Citizens.Even most of them asked me to join once my pR is ready.

Based on my previous question,i was tryin to know what"s my chances of getting the PR.We have been married since march 2009,and i have stayed here for 2years now.Had my MBA doing this period...My bachelors degree was in my country while MBA in singapore.

Please do critically analyse my chances for me.Thanking you for your anticipated response.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 6:00 pm

uc wrote:Thanks ksl for your reply.....I have gotten quite number of jobs but they all demand for PRs and Citizens.Even most of them asked me to join once my pR is ready.

Based on my previous question,i was tryin to know what"s my chances of getting the PR.We have been married since march 2009,and i have stayed here for 2years now.Had my MBA doing this period...My bachelors degree was in my country while MBA in singapore.

Please do critically analyse my chances for me.Thanking you for your anticipated response.
I think you have a 98% chance to get PR through your wife providing she is earning over 2500$ a month, which I believe maybe a requirement.

However I understand your PR would be tied to your wife, who sponsors it, so if you divorce, i'm under the impression that PR status will be withdrawn. So it's much better if you can secure an EP or S pass in your own name. Why will these employers not apply for an EP or S pass for you?

You should get your wife to set up a company then employ you, being a PR she doesn't have to pay the 50K, that MOM have set. With an MBA in your wifes Company, it shouldn't be too difficult to get EP if you do not get the PR status that is. Just don't panick too much, the stress isn't worth it, ICA will continue to give you LTVP until you secure something I am quite sure.

uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks so much for your responses.Let me just wait for ica to reply us cos its bn almost 3months we submitted for the PR.Yes my wife earns 3300k.

Pls,how would they view it now she applied for my PR and also applied for her citizenship 2wks after applyin for mine?Hope it wont be bad.Thank you

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:04 pm

uc wrote:Thanks so much for your responses.Let me just wait for ica to reply us cos its bn almost 3months we submitted for the PR.Yes my wife earns 3300k.

Pls,how would they view it now she applied for my PR and also applied for her citizenship 2wks after applyin for mine?Hope it wont be bad.Thank you
It is taking from 3 to 6 months today! I spoke with an officer last week regarding someone else! By the way try not to double post, the mods will delete for spamming!

uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Mon, 09 Nov 2009 4:43 pm

uc wrote:Thanks ksl for your reply.....I have gotten quite number of jobs but they all demand for PRs and Citizens.Even most of them asked me to join once my pR is ready.

No need to post the same three times in different threads. Once is enough.
a.k.a. littlegreenman

uc
Regular
Regular

Postby uc » Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:16 pm

Still waitin for a reply from ICA.Just nervous.