Singapore Expats Forum

How difficult to get PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pacer0928

How difficult to get PR?

Postby pacer0928 » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm an 23 year old American, who has recently moved to Singapore for work. I am currently holding an Q1 Employment Pass working as an Investment Analyst with Unity Capital Management (recent start up asset management company). I am a graduate of the University of Washington in Seattle with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration - Finance.

I was hoping to gain some insight regarding how difficult it would be to obtain PR status under my scenario. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Pat

P.S. Some additional information - my current income is $2500 SGD/mth.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:53 pm

Hello, why not put some of those analytical skills to work and try the SEARCH function... you know... maybe with the keyword 'PR'?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:03 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Hello, why not put some of those analytical skills to work and try the SEARCH function... you know... maybe with the keyword 'PR'?

Really, i think it's your fault....... you need a BIGGER button :P :lol:

bogdang

Re: How difficult to get PR?

Postby bogdang » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:25 am

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 3:15 pm

By all means try for it if you have 6 or more monthly payslips to show.

Do be sure to have every document and requirement fulfilled to the dot.

pacer0928

Postby pacer0928 » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 4:56 pm

All right, thanks for the helpful internet link and comments. Just trying to plan out the process of becoming a PR.

From my basic readings of the SG Gov's websites, I have noted there seems to be no restriction on how many times I can apply so perhaps I should apply every 6 months until I get it or something.

However, according to the helpful website provided it looks like for me it may take 2 years of work to obtain a PR. To my understanding, investments in real estate/private equity may speed up the process. I will look further into this matter and thanks for the help once again.

ncrystal

Postby ncrystal » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:30 pm

@Pacer0928:
Send your profile to this company http://immigration-singapore.com and ask. They will help you to answer your question. I don't think your chance is low :)
Good luck

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Fri, 21 Aug 2009 1:44 am

@SMS, SE & Plavt: where is the clock?!?

pacer0928

Postby pacer0928 » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:05 pm

Thanks again for the information, very helpful link!

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:21 pm

Whatever LGM - it seemed a legitimate response rather than an ad. Given you're no longer living here suggest you stick with what you used to know rather than current conditions.

PR's are being pretty much handed out to the "right" people from what we have seen of our friends here, and indeed ourselves. It would appear froma perfunctory analysis, if you have had P1 for 12 months and an obviously high salary, plus put the right "words" down on the form, then it won't be an issue.

In terms of our new friend, the OP, while you have good degrees, I'd suggest it's maybe more a matter of "proving" yourself. You know, pay your tax, etc. Indeed, a willingness to invest you foreign currency here always helps.

I'd like to ask as a supplementary question - why do you want to go PR so quickly?

HTH, Mr. P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 1:30 am

Frankly LGM's been pretty spot on and very helpful. At least for me anyway, I appreciate his input. Like myself, LGM is the first to admit he got something wrong. That I admire because it shows me that his ego is not involved, just the desire to help. But between ALL of regulars and us Mods, we normally get the correct information disseminated eventually. And that is all that matters. :wink:

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 8:48 am

Hold on a sec...how did a foreigner with no work experience and only a Bachelor's degree get a job in SG in this economic climate? My impression was that it would be almost impossible for this to happen what with the emphasis on hiring homegrown talent.

Also, the salary is a mite low.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 9:21 am

IronMac,

We've been getting Civil Engineers with one or two years experience up from Oz for a number of years now. With the right degree in certain industries and a year or two experience. It's always possible. Additionally, locals might be a little adverse to joining start-ups, especially in the asset management fields at the moment.

I don't believe the OP indicated how much or how little experience he had but if he's 23 he could possibly have two years of experience if he went straight into Uni out of HS and included attachments. He possibly realizes that sometimes the way to get what you want (international exposure) is easiest when you give somebody an offer that they find hard to resist. (salary requirements) This is what a lot of those young Oz Civils are doing. They come up here with 1 or 2 years experience, slog around in the mud on local salaries, staying maybe 4 to a condo and working for what is actually local starting salaries with maybe some shared housing allowance (the local engineers don't want to be site engineers as they only want to wear white shirts and ties and work in aircon offices as project engineers). Then they go home with 2 years of international experience and four or five years of total experience and command a 50% premium over the rest who stayed in Oz without going overseas. Makes good business sense.

It also makes good business sense for Singapore as well as if they are young enough, they may well want to settle down here as they will not have lots of commitments in their home countries.

Guess only the OP can tell us. :wink:

susanjain

Re: How difficult to get PR?

Postby susanjain » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:25 pm

pacer0928 wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm an 23 year old American, who has recently moved to Singapore for work. I am currently holding an Q1 Employment Pass working as an Investment Analyst with Unity Capital Management (recent start up asset management company). I am a graduate of the University of Washington in Seattle with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration - Finance.

I was hoping to gain some insight regarding how difficult it would be to obtain PR status under my scenario. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Pat

P.S. Some additional information - my current income is $2500 SGD/mth.

You can apply for PR once you are able to provide salary slips that go back six months from your Singapore employer. In practical terms, how soon you can apply for PR status also depends on the type of work pass you are holding. Since you are a Q pass holder it’s recommended that you apply after two years to have a decent chance of approval.

As you have rightly noted, there are no restrictions on how many times you can apply for Singapore PR. However, practically, you should wait at least 6 months before re-submitting your PR application.

Besides the type of work pass you hold and how soon you apply for PR, there are few other factors that are taken into consideration by authorities when deciding on your PR application. They include:

Your education background. Singapore authorities give a lot of weight to your degree and the institute where you graduated from.
Your employment background and the stability of your job
Credentials of your employer (the more established the company, the better)
Your salary and financial well-being
Your character (such as whether or not you are a law abiding citizen)
Your family ties in Singapore. If you have family ties, it’s considered a positive factor.
Your charitable contributions to society such as volunteering, donations, etc.

Bottom line: the government wants to ensure that you are a law abiding resident and that you will not become a burden on Singapore if you are granted a permanent residence status. They want you to be an asset to the country and not a liability.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 8:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:IronMac,

We've been getting Civil Engineers with one or two years experience up from Oz for a number of years now. With the right degree in certain industries and a year or two experience. It's always possible. Additionally, locals might be a little adverse to joining start-ups, especially in the asset management fields at the moment.

I don't believe the OP indicated how much or how little experience he had but if he's 23 he could possibly have two years of experience if he went straight into Uni out of HS and included attachments. He possibly realizes that sometimes the way to get what you want (international exposure) is easiest when you give somebody an offer that they find hard to resist. (salary requirements) This is what a lot of those young Oz Civils are doing. They come up here with 1 or 2 years experience, slog around in the mud on local salaries, staying maybe 4 to a condo and working for what is actually local starting salaries with maybe some shared housing allowance (the local engineers don't want to be site engineers as they only want to wear white shirts and ties and work in aircon offices as project engineers). Then they go home with 2 years of international experience and four or five years of total experience and command a 50% premium over the rest who stayed in Oz without going overseas. Makes good business sense.

It also makes good business sense for Singapore as well as if they are young enough, they may well want to settle down here as they will not have lots of commitments in their home countries.

Guess only the OP can tell us. :wink:

True, I'm just amazed that he managed to get a job over Singaporeans!

Wifey says that he must have been one smooth talker...