Have You Paid Your TV License Fee?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Strong Eagle

Have You Paid Your TV License Fee?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:47 am

Young lady from MDA came by my house on Friday... said I hadn't paid my TV license fee... didn't even know I had one... but I guess I've paid it in prior years as this is the first time I've gotten a visit.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:50 am

I managed to bluff it with my landlord that he pay after i got a letter from MDA for renewal........ and here was me thinking i didn't even have one at all, so it looks like somebody had settled it even before i moved in so the fairies were on my side.

When i move next time i plan to see how long i can go.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 2:41 pm

Generally, renters won't get a TV License Bill unless there is a special arrangement with the landlord. The TV License is normally attached to your property tax bill (if you are a property owner). Of course if the landlord claims to IRAS that 'they' don't have a TV(s) installed in the premises, the it would be up to the renter to apply for and pay their TV License bill (it is handled by IRAS on behalf of the relevant agency). You are actually liable for $110 per TV in the house. Not sure if they are still charging for Radios or not (they did when we first came here). It's been $110/year for as long as I can remember.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 2:48 pm

Ah, one of my favourite issues. Every country seems to have them, Germany, Singapore, UK, I think only Canada doesn't. You are forced to pay for dodgy tv programs just because you have equipment capable of receiving them. I am saying since a decade: encode your government channels and let people subscribe to it if they want to.

In the UK and Germany they have no right to set foot into your flat. Just don't let them in and ignore their letters. They can't do anything. The only way they can force their way in is if you have a tv at the window, they snap a picture of it and then get a warrant...

Having said that, I have been paying my license for years in order to not break the law.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 6:22 pm

oh yeah, that old chestnut. i think i get the letters but it's in the landlords name. :)