Singapore Expats

Singapore PR Rejected

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Singapore PR Rejected

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:57 am

hi friends,
i have been working in singapore for the past 11 months. i applied for my pr 3 months ago and it was rejected with the reason i have not met the residential requirements and asking me to reapply after 1 year. I am a Q1 pass holder. I am Single and i hold a Bachelors of Engineer Graduate from an reputed university in India. I have 4.5 years of working experience in IT. I submitted my PR with the sponsor letter from my company. I am working as a senior software programmer here in singapore. Will there be any chance of getting my application approved if I can appeal with my companys support letter ? I wish to work and settle down in singapore. have any one of you had your PR rejected, appealed and got a successful response ? what is the processing time for singapore PR rejection appeal? Any advise would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks

jpatokal

Re: Singapore PR Rejected

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 1:56 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:i have been working in singapore for the past 11 months. i applied for my pr 3 months ago and it was rejected with the reason i have not met the residential requirements and asking me to reapply after 1 year.
Well, there you go -- wait one year, apply again, and you should get your PR.
Will there be any chance of getting my application approved if I can appeal with my companys support letter ?
My crystal ball says "highly unlikely", because they already told you that you need to wait one more year, and the only way to fix that is... drum roll... to stay one more year.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 3:40 pm

Doncha just love it why English "speaking" does not equate to English
'understanding"! :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 5:19 pm

This is why I am still not sure what they actually mean with foreign talent. You have a lot of people from the Indian sub-continent who are not really talent and can't even find the ICA phone number without help. They certainly do not enrich the local workforce with those badly needed problem solving skills, do they?

pm1901

Post by pm1901 » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 6:50 pm

Hi Littlegreenman,

I do not think that the comment "You have a lot of people from the Indian sub-continent who are not really talent" is warranted.
Quite racist I must say!!!
In this world of globalization - its sad that this is the way you generalize......lets talk about percentages and not absolute numbers....

In case you didn't know China and then India have the largest population ....so there may be more in absolute numbers......for everything but then when you compare as a % it may be the same for otehr countries....think about that.....

Cheers

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 8:45 pm

Not racist at all pm1901. You need to read properly what I wrote. I never talked about race but about people from a geographic area (the Indian sub-continent). Indians live everywhere in this globalised world you mentioned, as do Chinese, Caucasians, Africans and Latin Americans. I also did not talk about all of the people from this region but some of them (although I admit "half the sub-continent" is a bit excessive).
pm1901 wrote:In case you didn't know China and then India have the largest population ....so there may be more in absolute numbers......for everything but then when you compare as a % it may be the same for otehr countries....think about that.....
You are slightly missing the point when you talk about absolute numbers because there are more China-Chinese (again geographically, not racial as you imply) and yet we do not get as many badly researched postings from them.
pm1901 wrote:I do not think that the comment "You have a lot of people from the Indian sub-continent who are not really talent" is warranted.
I do believe the ability of looking up a phone number on the ICA website or the yellow pages and what one would call talent are highly correlated (r>0.5). I leave it up to you to prove the opposite. As you handily bunch China and India together as two very populous countries, let me ask why there are less posts from China (again, location, not race) who are not able to find a phone number (zero I have seen in the last three months) than from people located on the Indian sub-continent (at least three I saw in the last three months).

The point I am trying to make is that we have many many postings on this forum where the posters have done 0% of the work themselves and are expecting the regulars of this forum to do all the research for them. The point that stands out (not only to me) is that the majority of these postings come from people located on the Indian sub-continent (note, not racial, there are many Indians in the UK and US, as well as South Africa and I have met loads of them coming from the locations to Singapore). If you have a look around the forums and go through old posts you will see that this is the case.

I am only stating statistical facts. The same would be a statement from myself saying more North Americans are obese than East Asians. Another example would be people in Asia work much less than people in France. Please do me a favour and don't play the racial card on this as well. Both are facts, North Americans are more obese and the French working week on average is 36 weeks which is much lower than the average working week in Asia. Please note that Americans as well as French can be Asian, Indian, Caucasian, African. So not racial at all right? Same with the Indian sub-continent as there are also several races there.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:25 pm

pm1901, methinks you have just be hoist by your own petard. Sometimes, instead of trying to fight back when you are obviously caught out, it smarter to humbly remember that you are looking for information first and therefore would have attempted to find it yourself using the search function like most do.

Oh, and unfortunately, I have to agree with lgm. Having been on this board for 5+ years, statistically, about the only thing people from the Subcontinent and from North Asia (China) are equal in, both statistically and numerically, are the number of spammers we get. The number of PRC's with questions that are easily found using the search engine are rare to almost nil. While we get them virtually daily from the Subcontinent.

Hate to burst your bubble but them's the facts.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pm1901

Post by pm1901 » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:32 pm

I did not know talent can be judged by postings and statistical compilation of this forum topics and posts....
anyway thanks for enlightening me!!!

Cheers...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:41 pm

You would be surprised at what can be gleaned from forums. Why do you think even the government/media here use forums. You can even see the results of forum threads in the daily newspapers here as they are a good way to gauge how policies are being taken and whether or not people even comprehend what they hear and/or read.

pm1901

Post by pm1901 » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:00 pm

point taken about things here....

however talent is a strong word......just because folks are asking questions which have been asked before does not mean the person lacks talent....
just my thought....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:50 pm

Talent is a subjective word isn't it. A clown has talent. But that doesn't mean that's the type of talent the government is looking for. We had a Masters holder hyping himself as a Marketing Guru asking us how to go about creating a network in Singapore. I sure wouldn't want him doing any marketing in my company. And that is just an example. Take it for what it's worth. The local media and lots of government officials also read these forums as well. Thing of the impression some of the "Talents" are giving these readers........

And then they wonder why they get rejected. :-|

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:16 am

pm1901 wrote:point taken about things here....

however talent is a strong word......just because folks are asking questions which have been asked before does not mean the person lacks talent....
just my thought....
pm1901, you have to keep in mind that the only reason why Singapore hands out EPs to foreigners is "in order to attract foreign talent". These are not my words but those of former prime ministers LKY and Goh Chok Tong. It is the government's policy "to attract the brightest and smartest foreigners" (again not my own words).

You are right, looking up a phone number does not constitute talent. Instead it is basic intelligence, and willingness to put in a bit of effort using 3 minutes of your time, certainly not talent. We had a Masters holder here on the forum who asked us literally "how to get a job with Markit in Singapore, if he has a 3 years job experience in Finance in India and a Masters degree". There are many people who are much smarter and never spent much time in school throughout their lives and even they would know that the answer to that question would be to send a job application to Markit. Again, common knowledge, not even talent.

Bottom line: if the government wants to attract foreign talent then people asking questions that are common sense and put no effort into looking for answers themselves first will certainly not have that talent.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 9:04 am

Hi All,
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry that many of you had got into a debate just because of the question that I raised and also have deviated from the information that I was looking for. I had called up the ICA few times before and since I was not able to get the exact information from them I had to post this query on the forum. It is not like I am reluctant to search for the ICA phone number to make a call. I have searched/googled many times on this issue,called ICA a few times and since there was no concrete information and since I felt that a forum is a place where people can share ideas constructively I raised this question over here. Anyway thanks for all your help even though the answer to my question was not clear and it landed up in a debate of a different topic. Thanks All !

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 9:27 am

singaporeflyer wrote:Hi All,
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry that many of you had got into a debate just because of the question that I raised and also have deviated from the information that I was looking for. I had called up the ICA few times before and since I was not able to get the exact information from them I had to post this query on the forum. It is not like I am reluctant to search for the ICA phone number to make a call. I have searched/googled many times on this issue,called ICA a few times and since there was no concrete information and since I felt that a forum is a place where people can share ideas constructively I raised this question over here. Anyway thanks for all your help even though the answer to my question was not clear and it landed up in a debate of a different topic. Thanks All !
The problem is, none of us work for ICA. Therefore, nothing we say can be construed as anything more than anecdotal evidence. I was rejected on my first application for PR and I appealed and it was also rejected. I reapplied 2 years later and it was approved. Now. Is it relevant to you? Not particularly, as I was applying on the family ties scheme and was still rejected and my appeal subsequently rejected. But eventually is was accepted. Things have changed since then as that was 17 years ago. Is it relevant? Not particularly, unless you are prepared to do what ever is necessary to gain PR because you WANT to be a Permanent Resident as opposed to just using the system as a method of extending your stay here if you should happen to get sacked.

The Government is aware of this happening and quite often they reject first time applicants and tell them to reapply in 6 months or 1 year. This is generally to see if you are serious in staying in Singapore and would make potential citizenship material. I see this happening more and more often as of late, primarily with Indonesian and Indian citizens. Not sure why that is, but I don't speculate as I figure the government has it's reasons. Although I do see LOTS of Indonesian Chinese who come here with LRP (Landed Permanent Residence) although most have been going to school here in a government approved school.

Don't worry about the debate. That's what this forum is good for. Lots of views and ideas are expressed, and sometimes an understanding of the government's thought processes is gained as well as understanding of their positions. Other times we just like to poke and prod each other. :P

sms

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:01 am

HI sundaymorningstaple,
Thanks. Just curious. How long did it take for you to get the reply for your appeal ? Thanks