Singapore Expats Forum

Appeal against PR Rejection (No Timeline to reapply)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dex.

Appeal against PR Rejection (No Timeline to reapply)

Postby dex. » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 1:19 am

Hi Everyone,
I have been working in Singapore for 1 year and 6 months as Software Engineer.
I started my Master Degree course in NUS this Jan 09
Salary is 3K on Q1 pass
I Filled my tax.
I also consider my CV good as I come from a research background
I Attached all the document and I got the PR Rejection letter last month with no date mentioned to re-apply (no 6 months or 1 year)

I have 2 Questions.

What do you think was the reason?
Can I appeal against rejection? If yes then on what basis.

The difference between this time and last time application could be
1. Some document saying Tax is Submitted
2. A bond with MOE (Ministry of Manpower)
Bond states that I have to work in SG based company for three more years after my degree, meaning in other way I have already committed 5 years in SG. 2 years for degree + 3 for Job

Do you think bond is a good thing to attach with the appeal?

Cheers!
dex.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 4:10 am

Hi there,

at the moment all the EP holders who wanted to avoid paying CPF before are rushing to apply for PR, so ICA is flooded with these kind of applications. While I am not saying you are such a case, you still get pretty much the treatment the majority seem to be getting now: come back in a while and try again so they can see whether you really want to be a PR with all associated rights and duties or do you just want to secure your stay in Singapore? You can appeal but so far I think this generally doesn't help much.

The good news is though: usually after you finish your course at a local uni you get an invitation to take up PR. So as you are doing your masters which doesn't take more than a year or two I guess, I would recommend you wait for your course to finish and then you will get your invitation to take up PR which will be smooth sailing from there.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 7:04 am

Missing a piece of the puzzle.......

Why were you rejected the first time?
The difference between this time and last time application could be
1. Some document saying Tax is Submitted
2. A bond with MOE (Ministry of Manpower)
Bond states that I have to work in SG based company for three more years after my degree, meaning in other way I have already committed 5 years in SG. 2 years for degree + 3 for Job

Or, if that was supposed to be a hypothetical.....

Why should they bother giving you PR if you already have a bond? Frankly, I'd just wait till your masters is finished and normally, as LGM mentioned, you will normally received an invitation to apply for PR. Otherwise, there is something else that we are not aware of. Could also be the country you are from (I don't know - you did not mention this in your posts - so it's a hypothetical answer as well).

dex.

Postby dex. » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:24 am

Thanks for your replies!
Being on EP I dont feel secure about my job and companies can exploit in this time of recession. Above all most of the good job opening require atleast a PR status. Waiting for 2 years is a risk, I do my job basically to support my studies :)

Any suggestions?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 2:33 pm

Still don't know where your passport is from.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 2:57 pm

dex. wrote:Thanks for your replies!
Being on EP I dont feel secure about my job and companies can exploit in this time of recession. Above all most of the good job opening require atleast a PR status. Waiting for 2 years is a risk, I do my job basically to support my studies :)

Any suggestions?

Please read my above post again. The government know that a lot of people applying for PR currently just want to do so in order to shore up their position in Singapore. This is exactly what they want to avoid as many of those people couldn't be bothered to apply before as they wanted to avoid paying CPF and as they did not want to have the duties that come with PR.

dex.

Postby dex. » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 5:33 pm

Pakistan :)

@littlegreenman
I am committed to live here for 5 years already. But why not PR? :S

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Thu, 20 Aug 2009 3:34 am

dex. wrote:Pakistan :)

@littlegreenman
I am committed to live here for 5 years already. But why not PR? :S

You mean you have been living here for 5 years already? Have you been working during that time already? If so then you have your answer: you never bothered to apply during the good times but now you want safety in the bad times. That is your explanation why they rejected it.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 9:24 am

Hi,
Are there any forum users whose appeal has been approved before? Please advice.

thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 9:55 am

I don't know of anybody that appealed with the same data and turned around a rejection. In other words, if you appeal with exactly the same information as your original application, the odd are highly stacked against you. When you appeal, it is supposed to mean you have more or additional relevant information for them to consider. A letter saying it's unfair, or you really need the PR or you think you are the bee's knees, or other sob story will do absolutely nothing, especially considering the appeal is normally reviewed by the original assessor.

There might be some out there, but in all my years here, I've not hear of one UNLESS they had some relevant information that was not included in the original application.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:00 am

Hi,
Will the change in pass type have any effect on the application for appeal? Is there a relation between the pass type and the residential requirement?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:20 am

Not unless it's a move from an S Pass to a P1 EP! (and I don't know if that would even matter) Frankly, it doesn't make much difference as there is the LPR scheme (Landed PR). If you qualify for that, you only need to find a job. The pass level is not relevant at all as they don't even have a pass and are usually fresh grads to boot (in a lot of cases). I've hired them for salaries that would not even qualify for an S pass salary wise, so there is little relationship on your salary/EP level and getting PR. I think now, there is as lot more investigation into whether the odds are that the applicant is, a) desiring PR for convenience sake; b) wanting to settle down in Singapore permanently. Being single doesn't help but neither does marrying a local here as it then appears that it may well be a marriage of convenience.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:27 am

Hi SMS,
I want to settle down completely in Singapore with my family and as a first step towards it, my wife (married recently) has joined me recently in Singapore. I am on an EP and she is on an DP. What are the things that we need to achieve so that we make sure to prove that we are not seeking PR for convenience, whereas we are seeking it to settle down permamently? Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:46 pm

Unfortunately, I can't help you there. MOM & ICA hold their cards very closely to their chests. Their points allocation tables or how they ascertain who is acceptable or not is not available for mere mortals to see. So, we are usually just relating anecdotal evidence and trying to piece together what we have seen. You question is exactly the reason WHY ICA and MOM keep mum about how they qualify people. You want to tailor yourself to make yourself suitable. If all were known, then Singapore would be overwhelmed by creative applications rather than accurate ones.

pilotmoon

Postby pilotmoon » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:40 am

What is the process for a PR rejection appeal? Is there a form to fill up? And normally, how long does the result of the appeal come out?
go brazil!