Singapore Expats Forum

Any Asian Americans here?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

Any Asian Americans here?

Postby ironandwine » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 9:49 pm

Yeah so we are a rare breed in Singapore, am I right? Everyone I meet thinks I'm an internationally-schooled Singaporean until I tell them how I frequently drive through four ERPs by accident trying to get home. You know what I'm talking about.

I'm an early/mid 20s, half Chinese Korean American guy from NYC now working at a hedge fund here in Singapore. I've been here about half a year now, and while it's been fun the homesickness has really started to sink in. Let's remind each other of where we grew up!

Please, no locals/SPGs unless you've really lived abroad and can convincingly turn off the Singlish.

Otherwise, send me a message! I don't care if you're a guy or a girl. I live around Robertson Quay and work in the CBD--I'd be up for drinks/dinner weekdays near those places.

hei guess what

Postby hei guess what » Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:56 pm

Well Evan, American Born Asians are not that rare in Singapore.

Let's just name a few noticeable ones, i.e. those in showbiz/TV:

Allan Wu, host of The Amazing Race Asia

Jimmy T

Mark Zee

Robin Leong ... dragon.htm

Eugene Lee ... 50/1/.html

Richard Lui, curently with CNN, was formerly with Channel NewsAsia ... chard.html

Howard Lo ... 531a1.mspx

Having met a few of them, it's safe to say that ABC/J/Ks do go to the usual popular expat hangouts . . .
WNDC and FNDC too . . .

Postby xiaodanxd » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 4:23 pm

Ironandwine, check your mail. I've sent you my profile.