Singapore Expats Forum

possible to sign rental contract on tourist visa?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
cafecafe

possible to sign rental contract on tourist visa?

Postby cafecafe » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 4:48 pm

Hi

I got 2 questions and I was hoping someone could help.

1. Is it possible to sign rental contract on tourist visa while I look for work or while still unemployed - will landlord accept?

2. Cheap digs before moving into apt - do they exist in Singapore? (not Hostels) got husband and one 3-years old girl coming with me. So there are 3 of us

Thanks

Saint
Director
Director

Re: possible to sign rental contract on tourist visa?

Postby Saint » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 5:07 pm

cafecafe wrote:Hi

I got 2 questions and I was hoping someone could help.

1. Is it possible to sign rental contract on tourist visa while I look for work or while still unemployed - will landlord accept?

Not legally
In the current employment climate here I don't even know why you would want to uproot your family to come to Singapore on the slight chance of gaining legal employment???

2. Cheap digs before moving into apt - do they exist in Singapore? (not Hostels) got husband and one 3-years old girl coming with me. So there are 3 of us

Yes, but you'll probably be sharing with a dozen other people and it wont be particularly legal

Thanks

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 7:41 pm

I agree with Saint. a. it is not legal to rent a flat while on a tourist visa (apart from Serviced Apartments which are pricey) and b. you should really not uproot your family. The odds of finding a job if you are not citizen or PR are currently very low unless you are SENIOR SENIOR management with highly regarded qualification. You might find a job but MOM might not grant your employment pass.

@all: A friend of mine with MPhil from the LSE and plenty of working experience approached several job agencies (Michael Page, Morgan McKinley...) wanting to submit his CV for middle office management positions in finance. They all declined even taking him on their books as apparently MOM is really tightening the screws on EPs. My mate just told me this morning.