Singapore Expats Forum

Experience with drycleaners damaging clothes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

mitlan
Regular
Regular

Experience with drycleaners damaging clothes

Postby mitlan » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:30 pm

Anyone has had their clothes damaged during drycleaning?

sassy5
Regular
Regular

Postby sassy5 » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:48 pm

i had my ferragamo dress label "melted" once due to high heat ironing. but thankfully, the drycleaner was very responsible and paid for the damage. i had friends who had their clothes damaged and the drycleaners refused to pay.

i hope u didn't encounter such. :)

mitlan
Regular
Regular

Postby mitlan » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 1:40 pm

how did they compensate you? was it the full amount?

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 2:03 pm

Usually on the receipt there is a disclaimer for what they are responsible for and the maximum compensation. Or sometimes it will be posted on a board on the premises.

sassy5
Regular
Regular

Postby sassy5 » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 5:00 pm

this drycleaner is not a big time dry cleaning services.. in fact,he was strongly recommend by an ex-colleague of mine in my old office.. and almost everyone in my ex office has our clothes dry cleaned by this guy.

and yes, he did compensate 100% of dress. i think he was afraid that he might lose all the customers in my ex-office.

i think if itz laundrymat or some bigger laundry services, they would have their asses covered on paper.

sassy5
Regular
Regular

Postby sassy5 » Wed, 12 Aug 2009 5:01 pm

and of coz, i have encountered with drycleaners who simply wants to push the shit away.. had a silk dress damaged before and couldnt get a single cent for compensation!

mitlan
Regular
Regular

Postby mitlan » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 5:25 pm

thanks for the confirmation, at least i know that drycleaners are not 100% fool proof, and i know that since we are converting so many people from drycleaning to wetcleaning. afterall, its a safer alternative to harmful chemicals used in drycleaning right? and clothes are CLEAN... i always hear people say" but my clothes' label says drycleaning only". but its a fact that clothes will still get damaged by drycleaning. point is nothing is 100% fool proof and 100% safe.

mitlan
Regular
Regular

Postby mitlan » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 1:41 pm

By the way, any expats here know of this term called "Wetcleaning"? Its an alternative to drycleaning.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 2:03 pm

mitlan wrote:By the way, any expats here know of this term called "Wetcleaning"? Its an alternative to drycleaning.

tic....toc....tic....toc..... 8-)