Singapore Expats Forum

Request for advice, experiences...

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
Angela_419

Request for advice, experiences...

Postby Angela_419 » Mon, 10 Aug 2009 7:51 pm

Hi - I'm thinking of moving to Singapore to work. I'll be visiting for a few days in early Sept to get a feel for the place and I'd really like to meet with some ex-pats for general advice, tips, experiences etc. Anyone willing to meet up for a coffee and chat? I'm 29 (so not quite 30 - but feel at home in the 30s club), female and from London.

Kamila

Postby Kamila » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 7:56 am

Sure Angela! If I'm not too busy when you're here, I'd love to meet up!
Just let me know! :D

/Kamila
..:: Courage Changes Everything ::..

SteveP79

Postby SteveP79 » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:25 am

For what it's worth, my opinion, if you can cope with the heat, then there's not a lot else not to like.

Food isn't a problem, public transport system is great, getting about is easy and cheap, generally people are pretty friendly.

If you trawl through this forum you'll find plenty of debates on rudeness / racism / being ripped off, but this is the same all over the world I'm sure. Certainly don't think anything is particularly worse than what you could find in the UK.

Also plenty of whinging about being nothing to do and being bored, but it's up to you to make your own fun, and it's certainly a great place to be based if you're interested in seeing a bit ore of Asia.

I'm sure other people with have other opinions, but there's mine.

P.S. 30 (just) male from UK, been here 9 months.

funkydudeinsingapore

Re: Request for advice, experiences...

Postby funkydudeinsingapore » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 4:31 pm

Angela_419 wrote:Hi - I'm thinking of moving to Singapore to work. I'll be visiting for a few days in early Sept to get a feel for the place and I'd really like to meet with some ex-pats for general advice, tips, experiences etc. Anyone willing to meet up for a coffee and chat? I'm 29 (so not quite 30 - but feel at home in the 30s club), female and from London.

I would like to sit with you for coffee and chat
do mail me at funkydudeinsingapore@gmail.com
and i would reply you with location where we cud
meet for some useful chat and coffee.
cheers

Angela_419

Postby Angela_419 » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:27 pm

Hi - thanks All - and thanks for your view Steve.

I'll be in SP Tues 1st - Thurs 3rd, not entirely sure of my itinary yet, but any good suggestions for a meet up would be great and I'll arrange!

funkydudeinsingapore

hi

Postby funkydudeinsingapore » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 5:59 pm

Hi there,

I know a place where we could sit peacefully and discuss whatever is neccssary pertaining to your visit, my past experiences about this country,
people and culture and the system of transportation and places to visit in singapore.

We can probably sit at Lau Pa sat for some beers and satay (local chicken on a stick ) with pea nut sauce.

one the day of your arrival in spore, i will give u suggestions on how to reach there.

cheers

funky

estelle92

Postby estelle92 » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 7:03 pm

Hey guys!

Still have some place for a newer in Sing? woman, 32, and french..
Looking for some friends too. Have a laugh, coffee and go out!
Maybe you can email me if interested cause i cannot Pm people so...
evitonou@hotmail.com

Kamila

Postby Kamila » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 8:03 pm

Beginning of Sept is a great time for me! I'll love it if we can gather a group of people with mixed experiences of Singapore and exchange some info :D Hope to see many of you soon!

K.
..:: Courage Changes Everything ::..

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: hi

Postby QRM » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 8:06 pm

funkydudeinsingapore wrote:Hi there,

I know a place where we could sit peacefully and discuss whatever is neccssary pertaining to your visit, my past experiences about this country,
people and culture and the system of transportation and places to visit in singapore.

We can probably sit at Lau Pa sat for some beers and satay (local chicken on a stick ) with pea nut sauce.

one the day of your arrival in spore, i will give u suggestions on how to reach there.

cheers

funky

ha ha sounds like Borat "we can sit Peacefully"

porridge0000
Chatter
Chatter

Postby porridge0000 » Tue, 18 Aug 2009 4:46 pm

Welcome to Singapore... :)
Well, in Singapore there's nothing much, except for Hot weather, and of course nice food :) Well, count me in for any even that you might be planning. But again, I might be only free during the evening time due to working... 33 male here though... =D

Angela_419

Postby Angela_419 » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 4:24 am

Excellent, I'll be staying near City Hall Station - any good places we can go near there for coffee/drinks? Sorry I can't be more definite about what day, time etc, I'm waiting for my schedule to be sorted out but I'm in SP Tues 1st-Thus 3rd Sept. I'll post a more definite time ASAP - would be cool to meet you all while I'm visiting!

funkydudeinsingapore

Postby funkydudeinsingapore » Wed, 19 Aug 2009 2:09 pm

Hi Angela,

City Hall is great place to stay in. It is very close to my work place too.
There are couple of great eating joints and pubs around this place. One of the good pubs i know of is "HARRY'S Bar". That will be convenient for you and others too. Why dnt you call everyone at Harry's Bar at City Hall on 2nd Sept 2009 at 1830 hours if acceptable to everyone.

what do you say????

cheers

Funky[/size][/b]

Angela_419

Postby Angela_419 » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 3:22 pm

Hey - I've got my schedule now and I can't make the Weds evening. Anyone free on Thurs 3rd Sept at 19:00? Harry's Bar?

funkydudeinsingapore

hi

Postby funkydudeinsingapore » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 3:30 pm

Angela_419 wrote:Hey - I've got my schedule now and I can't make the Weds evening. Anyone free on Thurs 3rd Sept at 19:00? Harry's Bar?

Ya that would be great. I am in for this. Lets meet at Harry Bar at 1900 at Harry Bar (City Hall).

steff77
Regular
Regular

Re: hi

Postby steff77 » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 3:52 pm

funkydudeinsingapore wrote:
Angela_419 wrote:Hey - I've got my schedule now and I can't make the Weds evening. Anyone free on Thurs 3rd Sept at 19:00? Harry's Bar?

Ya that would be great. I am in for this. Lets meet at Harry Bar at 1900 at Harry Bar (City Hall).

Hi, I would like to come as well! I'm 32 f from Germany.

Regards, Stefanie