Tax Resident

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
revhappy
Editor
Editor

Tax Resident

Post by revhappy » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding income tax in Singapore. The IRAS website says:
Under our tax residency rules, you will be regarded as a tax resident if you stay or work in Singapore for at least 183 days in a calendar year. The number of days in Singapore include weekends and public holidays
I came to singapore on 1st of July 09 and am employed since then. Now if I go to India for vacation for a week will I be considered a tax resident?

As the website mentions stay or work; even though I am on vacation, i am still on the payroll of Singapore company and will be paid for those days which means I am working in singapore isnt it, So shouldnt I be considered as a tax resident?

Please advice if my interpretation is correct.

Cheers,
Revhappy![/u]

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 10:42 pm

Generally, yes. You live here. You have lived here long enough. A vacation will not affect your status.

In any event, I assume you will also be here next year. Even if you did not make 183 this year, you would file next year for a tax refund... assuming you spent more than 183 in the two tax years.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Mon, 10 Aug 2009 2:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Generally, yes. You live here. You have lived here long enough. A vacation will not affect your status.

In any event, I assume you will also be here next year. Even if you did not make 183 this year, you would file next year for a tax refund... assuming you spent more than 183 in the two tax years.
I second that opinion.